RAHEEL SAGHIR KHAN Telephone Mobile: +971-**-*******
E-mail Personal: firstname.lastname@example.org
Skype ID raheelkhan73
Seasoned Risk Management Professional, carrying years of progressively diversified experience, having key management positions in areas of Internal/External Assurance, Financial Control & Taxation (Direct/Indirect/Zakat), Product Development, Project Management, Operational Risk management and Risk advisory services - having been associated with Standard Chartered Group (SC), leading Islamic Financial institutions and two of the big 4 Global accountancy firms. Some of the career achievements and highlights are enunciated below that were attained during the above journey.
• Project Implementation of Value Added Tax(VAT) and reporting at Noor Bank
• Provision of Internal Audit and wide variety of Risk Consulting services to premium clientele (KPMG KSA).
• Regional (MESA) Operational Risk Management at (Global Market-Treasury) for SC
• Development of Process on Risk Assessment and Planning framework for Group Internal Audit (SC)
• Development and Implementation of Risk-based Audit Methodology for Key areas within SC
• Establishment of Risk and Support functions Audit initiative (Including Compliance, Fraud Management, BCP and Information Technology Audits) at SC and performing related Audits
• Implementation of COSO/ICFR (under SOX 404) Internal Control frameworks at SC
• Restructuring the Procurement and Vendor Management, Real Estate developmental Services functions including management of related Operational Risk activities at SC
• Selection and appointment of strategic Project management Vendors (Real Estate services) at SC
• Productivity and capacity planning study for WB/CB Operations at SC
• Establishment of Vendor Policy and Monitoring Committee (Board Initiative) at SC for restructuring related activities
• Ensuring Cost saves of US $ 500K (Indirect Taxation) for SC during the process of acquiring other Bank for SC
• Expenditure Policies and procedures alignment while acquiring another bank (at SC) including establishing Delegation of Authority
• Project Management & Launch of Islamic Banking initiative in Pakistan for SC
• Islamic Product and related System Development at Standard Chartered Modaraba(SCM)
• Launch of first ever Islamic Investment Instrument COD by SCM including management of Investing activities
• Establishing and management of Staff Gratuity fund for SCM and related investments ACADEMICS & TRAININGS
Institute / University / Professional firm Qualification/Trainings Institute of Internal Controls, Inc.-New Jersey Certified Internal Control Auditor (CICA) - 2014 Certified Public Accountants Association (CPAA)-UK Member -2011 University of Karachi, Pakistan Bachelor of Commerce-1993 Ernst and Young (E&Y) Four years of External Assurance and Consultancy-1994-1998 Center of Islamic Education (CIE), Karachi Islamic Finance course on practical implementation-2002 EXPERIENCE
NOOR BANK - UAE September 2015 – May 2018
Worked as Cost Controller and Senior Manager for Indirect Tax (Value Added Tax) for the Bank responsible for the overall Cost Management function including Budgeting and complete expense monitoring for the entity and also ensuring comprehensive VAT process implementation under Statutory framework. This was a senior management role with a reporting line into the Head of Financial Control/Finance Operations.
The Role encompasses following key areas:
• Cost recording and reporting including senior management and Board reporting
• Liaison with businesses on day to day cost and budget matters
• Management of Cost allocation mechanism
• Identifying potential cost saves and introducing cost disciplines
• Implementation of Cost reporting system and designing and mapping of cost ratios
• Development and implementation of requisite policies and procedures, including areas of Procurement, Vendor Management and Outsourcing.
• Review of Cost benefit analysis of various Business projects and viability and challenge these for optimum benefits. Management has also entrusted with the task of implementing the end to end process of Value added taxation (VAT) for the bank that has been introduced in UAE and GCC.
VAT implementation: The comprehensive task included selection and appointment of Tax Consultants to ensure identification of each product and service line under the VAT ambit as per the law, impact analysis to identify line by line applicability and side by side cost synergies where possible and ensuring smooth implementation in right areas including information technology systems enabling the bank to go live in 2018.
In addition to the above, the role entails MANCOM mandate in establishment of Project Steering Committee and Working Group having staff with right skill sets to partner in the above substantial implementation on a pan Bank basis with support from Operations, Information Technology, Business/Product, Administration, Marketing and various areas in Risk etc. Project Steering Committee and Working Group worked with theTax Consultants and systems team to ensure project delivery as per the given timeframe. During the process was also been able to identify and appoint VAT management and reporting system for the Bank, undergoing through a transparent Vendor evaluation and selection process have initiative coordinated through focus group from Finance, Strategy, IT functions. Successful filing of Regulatory return was also ensured through the Project team.
Complete process also leads to ensuring various process development of recording and archiving input tax implications in respect of all vendor relations falling under the purview and also for output tax implications recording and, collection archiving and repor ting processes through bank automated tools, establishing effective changes in these tools. Establishing the underlying Statutory reporting procedure and implementation of related transaction processing systems is also part of this role. Identification and placement of right resourcing mix (own OR outsourced or both) for VAT related activities will also be a part of this assignment. Staff training and enablement as BAU for the team was also ensured during the process.
KPMG SAUDI ARABIA November 2014 – August 2015
Senior Manager – Risk Consulting
Based in Jeddah, magnified role includes vide variety of work areas including provision of professional solutions around cond ucting regulatory inspections and assistance in closing of resulting gaps, supporting statutory submissions, facilitating developme nt and implementation of required policy and procedures, setting up of and sourcing Internal Audit, Risk functions and related policy and processes including provision of services to deliver other functional responsibilities and supporting Fraud Investigations with related management and regulatory reporting. Readiness reviews to ensure regulatory compliance were also part of services offered. Arrangement and supervision of quality technical services and resources to multinational and local conglomerate client base-that included sectors like Oil & Gas, Automobiles, Financial Services and Banks, Construction and Utilities, Cement, Pharmaceuticals etc. Job role also includes managing client interactions for both business development as well as work related matters with senior Management including Audit Committees/Board of Directors of large entity's and Regulatory bodies. Management of large teams with technical background and skills in variety of professional disciplines is also a prerequisite of role. To support clients and services around the kingdom frequent traveling was also an integral part of the job portfolio to provide requisite assistance to clients as and when required. Business Risk Manager MENAP (July 2013- October 2014) Worked as Regional Business Risk manager for Operational Risk management and oversight in Financial Markets’ function, looking after related matters in Pakistan, Qatar, Bahrain, KSA. The role included identification, measurement escalation and reporting of r isks and progress of mitigating controls including any suspected fraudulent activities, together with ensuring complete support for management of monthly Operational Risk Committees’ meeting and development of related documentation/packs through coordinating with key stakeholders e.g. Operations, Information Technology, Finance and Human Resource functions. Responsibility included monitoring and escalating of all related risks and losses, development of Business Continuity Plans and testing the same on periodic basis, performing Peer reviews across Group geographies (excluding the aforementioned). Monthly testing of key controls falling under the realm was also one of the key deliverables in this role. S TANDARD C HARTERED B ANK -
July 20 05 to October 2014
These include Appropriateness & Suitability checks, cancel and amendment of and other dealing disciplines, document retention requirements, controls relating to ALM and Rate Setting desks and those relating to Corporate and Institutional Sales. Also management of Regulatory inspections and Internal/External audits including successful and timely culminations of these also formed part of this role. Senior Manager Internal Audit-Governance, Risks and Group Functions (December 2011-June 2013) Responsibilities in relation to the above role at Standard Chartered Bank (Pakistan) Limited (SCBPL) includes leading independent audit teams of experienced professionals, carrying out risk-based testing of all cycles, sub-cycles, processes and sub-processes relating to and including the core areas of the entity including Corporate, SME and Consumer Credit, Operational Risk Governance, CRES, Finance, Procurement, Branch, Operations, Compliance and Fraud Risk Management, Corporate Governance etc. Apart from audits was also responsible for the following tasks in direct support to Country Head of Audit, Board Audit Committee and Regional Head of Audit.
• Periodic reporting of audit matters including timely tracking and escalation and effective closure of issues to the Management, Audit Committee and the Board on all areas of the Bank’s Internal Controls
• Actively contributing towards continuous monitoring of related functions including attendance at the operational risk committee meetings
• Leading annual Risk Assessment, Planning and Scheduling exercise in respect of Pakistan, Lebanon and Jordan
• Management of Quality Assurance of audit work/documentation as per the methodologies including infrastructural support and training
• Management of Audit Committee TORs, Internal Audit Charter, Policy and Methodology Framework and Succession of critical roles
• Development of Global Audit Operating Instructions Manual for conducting Annual Risk Assessment for all Business/Support Functions including support for Acquisition of Audit System, being deputed to Group Head office
• Departmental budgeting and resource planning and arrangements including dealing with the Group
• Successfully completed development of risk-based test programs for various significant areas of the bank to augment current best practices in the field and various regulatory requirements.
• Establishing IT Audit initiative and sourcing for the same including supervising audits for General Application Risks, IT Security Risks, BCP Risks, Outsourcing Risks. Audit planning also contributed to support all other audits with IT audit team to evaluate specific business- related systems’ risks and controls.
• Assisting the Head of Audit in devising and managing Continuous Monitoring strategies and planning works relating to oversight of other Group entities under reporting domain i.e. Jordan, Lebanon, including management of audit plans, staffing and budgets.
• Regional support for the annual Global Risk Assessment, Planning and Scheduling exercise Had been entrusted for the oversight of Internal Audit function of Jordan as off-shore supervisor. Also supporting the Head of Audit of Standard Chartered Modaraba (SCM), an Islamic subsidiary of the Bank in Pakistan, as off-site manager. Senior Manager Internal Audit & Project Head COSO/ICFR-SCBPL (February 2008-November 2011) Worked as Project Head implementation of COSO & Internal Controls over Financial Reporting (ICFR) Frameworks (based on Sarbanes Oxley Act-US). The role entailed coordination between all internal and external stakeholders on a Pan Bank basis, regarding the implementation and continuous maintenance of the Bank’s Integrated Internal Control Program encompassing Entity Level processes (e.g. BOD/BAC, Compliance, FRMU, HR), Businesses/Support functions (e.g. WB/CB/TRY - FIN, ADM, CRES). The role also required close liaison with regulators and auditors.
The design of the program is based on various internal control ideologies suggested under a report on internal controls by Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission (COSO Sarbanes-Oxley Act, US) and Public Company Accounting Oversight Board
(PCOAB) Audit Standard 5, to ensure compliance of the following specific project deliverables, on an ongoing basis:
• Process and control documentation/Mapping
• Conducting institution-wide compliance readiness assessment for all of the applications within this project’s scope to define the control environment and to identify the areas where deficiencies exist
• Creating action plans for remediation of each deficiency and Testing Plan for testing of key controls
• Quality Assurance/ Validation on the initiatives completed.
• Management’s own testing of key controls and reporting of results to Board, through Audit Committee
• Reviews and certification by the external auditors Cost Controller (July 2005 to June 2008)
Directly reporting to the CFO and looking after the overall cost function in the country through
• Identification of weaknesses in current processes and improving current practices and procedures, involving administrative and other costs, including appointment and service monitoring of Project Management Firms and related vendors for various Bank projec t sites
• Liaisoning with cost center owners regarding queries on cost side of P&L
• Development and implementation of requisite policies and procedures in the country, wherever necessary
• Conducting Productivity Improvement, Capacity Planning studies of various functions throughout the bank, to improvise on performance and resource utilization
• Various cost initiatives including establishing policies and benchmarks while acquiring another local bank.
• Development and maintenance of Delegation of Authorities Manual for Standard Chartered Bank –Pakistan
• Introduction of advance telecommunication processes/techniques to improve on a major cost burner Also, simultaneously served as an active support for Procurement & Vendor Management Unit (PVM) and Secretary to Vendor Policy and Monitoring Committee (VPMC), a Board mandated forum, comprising Senior EXCOM members, for the oversight of Procurement and Vendor Management (P&VM) & Corporate Real Estate Service (CRES) activities of the Bank. Have also been part of the Finance Project team who implemented end to end process for collection and reporting of Federal Excise Duty (Indirect Taxation) applicable to Banking line of business.
Product & Business Strategy Manager (April 2004-June 2005) The entity is an Islamic subsidiary of Standard Chartered Bank, Pakistan. My job responsibilities included development of Islamic financial products (both Corporate and Consumer/Retail), researches, strategy planning, budgeting and estimations including financial plans, presentations to the senior management etc. Apart from these, job scope also includes the following: Product related responsibilities Plan and Execution Operational Management & Others o Product conceiving and structuring
o Legal and Tax aspects
o Risk management
o Advertising plans
o Co-Brandings and other cross selling initiatives o Product promotions through external agencies
o Information System development
o Market & Competitor Analysis
o Dealing with regulators (SECP)
o Dealing with Regional Islamic Banking standards team/ Shariah Committee
o Establishing sales and marketing teams on country wide basis o Liaise with operations & IT to ensure proper development of appropriate systems, leading UATs and establishing procedures. o Work with the Head of IA to develop and implement appropriate controls and guidelines to ensure compliance with Shariah & other Regulatory requirements e.g. KYC, AML/CTF regimes. o Related external arrangement with external repossession agencies
Project Head SCBPL Islamic Banking (October 2003-June 2004) Played a key role in facilitating launch of Islamic Banking initiative of SCBPL in Pakistan. The role required robust liaison with SBP (Central Bank) for related licensing activities and in principal approvals. Additionally, was responsible for obtaining relevant tax and other advisories from various consultants. Also was involved in designing accounting framework, policy and procedural requirements, taxation and regulatory outlines etc. for the bank’s exclusive initial products (Consumer: Car Morabaha, Home Diminishing Musharika, Current Accounts and Personal Loans.),in line with the generally accepted standards on Islamic principles. Has acquired reasonable acquaintance with local and international schemes regarding this particular initiative, which was then a relatively new niche in the country. Finance and Accounts (February 1999-October 2003)
While performing my duties as a deputy to the Financial Controller of SCM, I was responsible to look after all finance and ot her related activities pertaining to the following areas of the entity:
• Finance Operations & Management Reporting (including Treasury Operations and Fund Management
• Corporate Taxation and related matters with Revenue Authorities and Advisors
• Certificates of Musharika (Islamic COIs-First ever Islamic Financial Term Deposit Certificate in Pakistan)
• Others (included financial analysis for Credit Rating Agencies, Regulators, Industry bodies etc., management of Staff Retirement Benefits including fund placements and investments)
During the course of my association with the firm, I was exposed to practical implementation and complexities of International Financial Reporting and Auditing Standards. I was involved in extensive financial and other controls’ audits/reviews including direct and indirect taxation areas as they relate to banking and non-banking financial institutions, real estate services, pharmaceuticals, oil and gas and aviation, with my last role being Senior Auditor. Also has a consultancy and advisory experience in management of projects pertinent to System implementations, Corporate Hand shake, Due Diligence, ON & OFF shore cost and expense management etc. PROFESSIONAL PAPERS AND PROCESS DEVELOPMENT
• Developed an Islamic study paper representing Standard Chartered Modaraba in 2005, suggesting means of improving Islamic business laws and regulations in Pakistan. The paper also recommended the ways of eliminating imbalance in competition between banks and other financial institutions and also highlighted various new Sharia Compliant Product structures, to the Islamic Sharia Board of Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP).
• Have developed a procedural framework for the verification of write off / settlement of loans under Central Bank’s (SBP’s) guidelines. S TANDARD C HARTERED M ODARABA February 1999 - June 2005 E RNST AND Y OUNG ( E&Y ) September 1994 - January 1999 TEACHING
• Have privately taught for 4 years independent student groups in respect of O & A levels, undergraduate and post graduate prog rams. The subject matters relate to Accounting, Auditing, Financial Management, Managerial Accounting and a few areas of applied Economics and Commerce.
• Have conducted intra organizational trainings in the areas of Product Management, Internal Controls(COSO/ICFR), Finance, Internal Audit.
• YOB: 1973
• Work references available upon request