Karen L. Underwood
ACCOUNTING / MANAGEMENT
Offer a proven track record in accounting and financial analysis based upon diverse professional experience, demonstrated effectiveness in cost monitoring and controls, A/P & A/R, contract interpretation, costing, accounts reconciliation, and financial reporting. Recognized for consistency in achieving high levels of operational efficiency
and profitability and exceeding corporate goals and expectations.
Awards & Recognitions: Collaboration, Respect, Service, Team Work
Computer skills: IBM System 32/34, AS/400, JD Edwards, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Oracle, Peachtree and
Matrix (Advanced Revelation-Priority Database)
Efficiency in utilizing organization, and analytical, skills in coordinating accounting functions and execute all
phases of special projects. Treats employees respectfully, utilizes the call scripts, and consistently adheres to department’s guidelines.
Excels in training others in new procedures and systems
Excellent working knowledge with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
Experienced adhering to Client Accounting Policies and Procedures (CAPP)
Chart of Accounts
General Ledger / Journal Entry
Attention to Detail/Organizing
Strong Analytical Skills
CAAP / GAAP
Vendor Master File Maintenance
Microsoft Office Specialist: Word
Microsoft Office Specialist: PowerPoint
Microsoft Office Specialist: Excel
Microsoft Office Specialist: Outlook
Business Operations Professional Training, Lab Four Professional Development Center, Memphis, TN, 2016
Certificates: Principles of Accounting, Microsoft Office Excel I & II, Microsoft Office Word I & II, Memphis, TN 2002
Professional Training: Tools, Techniques & Strategies for World Class Customer Support, Quality Progress Training,
Team Building, Diversity, and Customer Service Communications.
Accounting Assignments, Various Temp Companies, Memphis, TN 2016-present
Accountant / Relocation Analyst, Cartus/Primacy Relocation, Memphis, TN 3/2003 – 12/2015
Provided direct support to the process of relocation assistance to corporations for employees being transferred/relocated domestically and internationally. Processed all company A/P vouchers and transactions
related to the client, transferee and vendor to include wires, equities, deficits, escrow refunds, voids, stop payments, and return of proceeds by U.S. Dollars and Foreign currencies. Managed and processed monthly and quarterly revenue analysis into journal entry format for G/L upload.
• Researched and collected over $15,000 in unclaimed property refunds
• Designed and created a new Transition Manual for hands-on processes served as liaison for Corporate
• Trained and mentored all new hires: Served as the event planner and coordinator for the department.
• Corporate Clients included: BNSF, Dow Chemical, Medtronic, Qualcomm, Target, and Toyota.
Accounts Payable Specialist, American President Lines, Memphis, TN 8/1997 – 5/2002
Assisted with overall accounting function by handling all aspects of account payables. Worked with upper management and conducted research with vendors to correct discrepancies.
• Established a track record for effective handling, coordination, and processing of daily payment of
A/P invoices as well as monthly vendor statement reconciliation.
• Utilized an on-line system to enter, access, update, and review items including vendor invoices.
• Reviewed and analyzed records and accounts for trends, errors, and discrepancies.
• Prepared accruals to reflect outstanding (period and year end) statements and invoices.
• Trained all new employees for department.
Office Manager, TSH / Scorpion Computers INC., Memphis, TN 8/1994 – 8/1997
Established a three-year record of financial, accounting, business office management, payroll administration, and
tax form preparation efficiency for this computer product/services provider. Managed company general ledger via
PC which included set-up and administration of A/P, A/R, invoicing and reporting modules as well as day-to-day administration of input and adjustment activity and month and period-end reports.
• Assisted in developing cost cutting and writing new procedures for the overall Company.
• Managed purchasing function for inventory and supplies for this organization.
• Reconciled sub-ledger to general ledger account balances; consolidate, analyze, and distribute budget reports.