James D. Gaus **** Catalpa
Jackson, MI, *****
517-***-**** (Personal Cell)
OBJECTIVE Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) position with an organization that is committed to employee safety and health.
SUMMARY OF • Management experience with a major supplier to Ford Motor Co. and General Motors. QUALIFICATIONS • Five years Environmental, Health and Safety management experience with a leader in employee safety and health performance. Implemented several key health and safety protocols/programs/procedures.
• Eleven years production purchasing experience at Ford Motor Company with a broad knowledge in various automotive and component manufacturing operations.
• Fifteen years’ experience in highway construction and maintenance safety.
• Experienced with both MIOSHA Construction and General Industry Standards.
• 40-hour HAZWOPER certified.
MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT of TRANSPORTATION (MDOT)
11/03-Present Occupational Safety Specialist, Safety and Security Administration MDOT’s specialist for Occupational Safety and Health responsible for statewide and department wide development and deployment of MDOT’s Health and Safety Management System.
• Led the development of a Hazard Risk Assessment for certain job duties within MDOT.
• Chairperson of the MDOT Safety subcommittee which is responsible for the review of all Injury and Illness Incident reports and all Motor Vehicle Incident reports.
• Provide presentations and trainings throughout the state on topics ranging from general hazard awareness, fall protection, confined spaces, and other health and safety related topics as requested.
• Participant on the statewide MDOT Safety Committee and a standing member on all ad hoc safety subcommittees.
• Developed MDOT safety procedures for: Hazard Communication (Right to Know), Confined Space, Fall Protection (Ladders, Scaffolds, Fall Arrest), Blood Borne Pathogens, Respiratory Protection, and Lock/Tag/Try (Lock-out/Tag-out).
• Developed for each procedure summary documents, Safety Topics (Tool Box talks), and power point awareness trainings.
• Developed approximately 90 different Safety Topics (Tool Box Talks) for department wide distribution on numerous health and safety issues.
• Conduct facility health and safety audits to look for potential health and safety issues and compliance to MIOSHA General Industry regulations.
• Assisted in the development of the MDOT Safety and Security Administration website, for access of all safety related documents including procedures, safety topics, and training materials, for all MDOT employees.
• Developed several environmental topics for use by MDOT facilities. Topics covered: Used oil disposal, Universal waste, and Pollution Incident Prevention Plans.
• Conduct facility environmental audits and prepare reports of finding found.
• Developed a working relationship with MIOSHA which has facilitated open conversation on shared issues.
• Presented various training session at the Michigan Safety Conference and at various industry conferences.
James D. Gaus Page 2
ALCOA FUJIKURA, LIMITED (AFL)
5/99-7/03 Director, Engineering Support Services & Special Projects Responsible for managing the following departments that supported the Michigan regional locations for AFL, North America, a major wire harness and electrical components manufacturer and former division of Alcoa: Purchasing (including miscellaneous financial reporting); Environmental, Health, and Safety (E.H.S.); Facilities Management (for three locations in the Detroit Metro area). Also responsible for internal process auditing, for the Detroit metro locations, to Alcoa corporate audit criteria. Audited areas included: Sales/Revenue, Procurement and Capital, Payroll and Personnel, and Information Technology.
• Ensured compliance of location to MIOSHA and OSHA requirements.
• Oversaw the development of location’s E.H.S. programs including: Hazard Communication (HazCom), ISO-14001, Lock-out tag-out, Electrical safety, Personal Protective Equipment, Contractor safety, Confined Space, Mobile Equipment, Ergonomics, and Machine Guarding.
• Directly responsible for the development and implementation of health and safety programs for Fall Protection, Hearing Conservation, Project Reviews, and Health and Safety Inspections.
• Lead E.H.S. Strategic Team including annual reviews of objectives for E.H.S.
• Developed and presented several health and safety trainings.
• Assisted at other company locations with E.H.S. program implementation and participated in internal audits of their E.H.S. programs. 10/98-5/99 Director, Special Projects
Responsible for managing various special assignments as delegated by the Vice President, Product Development, AFL, North America.
• Conducted evaluation on long-term business viability of Electro-Mechanical Products
(EMP) facility in Owosso, MI.
• Responsible for closing of EMP Owosso facility and transferring all production to Mexican operation by 12/23/98.
• Led evaluation of plastic molding operations to determine whether two facilities were necessary to support business plans.
• Assisted in the evaluation of the wire harness engineering processes to ensure success in passing ISO/QS-9000 certification audit.
• Facilitated business relationship between AFL, Ford Motor Company, and minority supplier/competitor to allow for smooth transfer of electrical junction box production from AFL to minority competitor.
• Managed plan for increased use of European components, on wire harnesses designed in North America, but assembled and used in Europe, to minimize customs duty penalty.
• Managed AFL Dearborn/Allen Park regional environmental, health and safety (E.H.S.) program. Ensured metrics developed, plans in place, and actions taken to meet objectives.
1/97-10/98 Director, Product Development Purchasing Responsible for managing the purchasing activity for AFL, North America.
• Responsible for sourcing all new tooled components that were used on North American produced wire harnesses.
• Responsible for improving supplier quality and resolving supplier quality issues.
• Responsible for Dearborn regional maintenance, repair, and operating (MRO) purchasing.
• Instituted QS-9000 Procedures.
• Instilled the Cross Functional Commodity Team strategy for selecting and developing the long-term supply base.
FORD MOTOR COMPANY
10/92-12/96 Buyer, Connectors and Terminals
12/90-10/92 Buyer, Wiring Harnesses
3/89-12/90 Buyer, Passive Restraints and Driver Side Airbags 2/88-3/89 Buyer, Interior Trim Components
11/86-2/88 Assistant Buyer, Tires and Tire Valves
3/86-11/86 Supplier Quality Coordinator
1/86-3/86 Buyer, Interior Plastic Trim
6/85-1/86 Administrative Analyst, Procurement Operations OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
8/82-6/85 Accountant - E.W. Sparrow Hospital
6/81-8/82 Orderly, Oncology – E.W. Sparrow Hospital EDUCATION Attended various workshops and seminars on environmental, health and safety related topics over the last eight years. Recent classes include:
40-hour HAZWOPER certified.
MIOSHA 10 Hour for Construction Safety, 2004 and 2005, MIOSHA
Excavation and Trenching, 2005, MIOSHA
Fall Prevention and Protection Training, 2004, Miller Troll
Highway Construction Work Zone Training, 2004, MDOT/MSU
Uniform Fire Code 1, 2011, National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
Master of Business Administration, Materials and Logistics Management, 1985 Albion College, Albion, Michigan
Bachelor of Arts, Economics and Management, 1981
REFERENCES Available on request.