Pennsylvania State University (3.70 GPA) Malvern, PA
Bachelor's in Business Administration.
Played Varsity Baseball all four years.
Professional Work Experience
CFO / Financial Controller
Seal Electric, Inc. (10/2017 - Present) San Diego, CA Electrical sub-contractor with yearly revenues > $30M
- Financial statement preparation and bank covenant reporting
- Prepare budgets by establishing schedules: collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data
- Achieve budget objectives by analyzing variances and initiate any corrective actions
- Evaluate, recommend, and implement changes to department policies and procedures to maintain sound internal control and efficient financial reporting
- Manage monthly accounting close processing and account reconciliations including detailed sub-ledger schedules, bank reconciliations, and fixed asset schedules
- Oversee payroll with applicable laws (W2's, 1099's, 941's, 940's, and DE-9's)
- Manage A/P, A/R, Accounting, Payroll, and Budgeting Finance Manager
Jones Lang LaSalle (07/2017 - 10/2017) San Diego, CA Fortune 500 Company
- Supervise Cash Management Department between Leidos and JLL
- Cash Management portfolio is approximately $16 million per month ($200 million per year)
- Supervise Leidos' occupancy charges that are billed to individual business units
- Occupancy billings total $175+ million for 360+ locations through 20+ tiers/bands
- Supervise Lease Accounting for Leidos
- Maintain straight line rent expenses totaling $130+ million per fiscal year
- Phase in new costs with the result of the IS&GS acquisition (Lockheed Martin business unit)
- Leidos acquired this business unit from Lockheed Martin for $6 billion in 2016
- Assisted with the calculation and development of JLL's financial reporting software in accordance with the recent lease accounting standards update (ASC 842)
- Monitoring JLL's new Lease Accounting software under the Leidos account
- Responsible for transitioning all leases under Leidos from ASC 840 to ASC 842 (600+ leases) Kory B. Bates, CPA, CMA
To obtain a career that emphasizes my strengths in statistical analysis, financial planning, Master's in Finance.
Minors: Mathematics and Economics.
Majors: Accounting and Management.
and business management.
Jones Lang LaSalle (11/2014 - 07/2017) San Diego, CA
- Worked exclusively on the Leidos account (Fortune 500 company)
- Worked on a subledger that includes all aspects of rent (base rent, T.I., rent abatement, etc.)
- Led lease accounting department with 600+ individual leases totaling over five million sq ft.
- FP&A for rent expenses totaling over $125 million per year within 20+ separate tiers (250+ locations)
- Calculated and booked new vacancy reserves with accordance of FAS 146
- Helped manage active construction projects by tracking CIP data
- Developed project accounting accrual template to enhance accuracy and ease of use
- Proficient in Costpoint, Cognos, OneView, and SharePoint software Project Accountant
American Assets Trust, Inc. (05/2014 - 11/2014) San Diego, CA Publicly Traded Real Estate Inventment Trust
- Served as a key review function for leases under GAAP
- Prepared reconciliation schedules and completed month end closing procedures for commercial properties and residential properties at a publicly traded Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT)
- Posted complex journal entries: manual expense recoveries, percentage rent accruals, FASB 13 straight-line rent, accrued liabilities, and corporate equity earnings from subsidiary entities
- Performed monthly financial statement fluctuation analysis to assist internal departments with budgeting and financial forecasting
- Proficient in MRI, Sage Fixed Assets, and AvidXchange software Staff/Project Accountant
Combined Properties, Inc. (07/2012 - 05/2014) Washington, DC Private company with over 1 billion in assets
- Managed 15 different commercial properties (Gross Leasing Area: 1.5 million sq. ft) located in the DC and Los Angeles metropolitan areas
- Completed financial statements, bank reconciliations, fixed assets, variances, accruals, job cost, and monthly reporting packages
- Created a bi-weekly cash report that tracked over 150 separate bank accounts using queries and advanced Excel functions for the Controller and CFO
- Exported and organized data using vlookups and pivot tables, simplifying tasks for other employees in the accounting department
- Assisted with three mortgage refinancing bookings and one joint venture acquisition booking Certifications
CPA (Certified Public Accountant)
- License # 136615
CMA (Certified Management Accountant)
- License # 61577
CFA Level 2 Candidate (Chartered Financial Analyst)
- Scheduled to sit for Level 2 exam in June 2019
References available upon request.
Kory B. Bates, CPA, CMA