M.S. in Food Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 08/2014 – 12/2016 Minor in Statistics, GPA: 4.0, Total credits earned: 34 B.S. in Food Science, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 09/2009 – 05/2013 GPA: 3.6, Total credits earned: 122
Fermentation Scientist, Mount Olive Pickle Company 02/2017 – 08/2018
• Managed and monitored the fermentation, storage, and processing of $10 million cucumbers annually.
• Ordered over $1 million raw materials annually.
• Supervised staff of 16 within a $500,000 labor budget.
• Collaborate with IT to develop software to assist in management of the tanks and employees.
• Contributed to process improvements to affect traceability, efficiency, and quality
• Managed repairs required on tankyard.
• Ordered tanks ($105,000 annually) and supplies for tankyard as needed. Graduate Research Assistant, North Carolina State University 08/2014 – 12/2017
• Thesis work: developed methods to achieve long-term survival of probiotics in pickles.
• Submitted IRB and conducted consumer acceptance taste test (150 participants) on pickled cucumbers.
• Assessed survival and metabolic activity of probiotics by plating, HPLC analysis, and pH measurements.
• Reviewed literature and reported findings to advisors to justify experimental designs.
• Trained on descriptive analysis panel for texture analysis of sweet potato fries. Product Technology Intern, McCormick & Company 07/2013 – 07/2014 Hunt Valley, MD
• Performed bench-level work for the development and reformulation of products.
• Screened raw materials for functionality.
• Organized bench-top tastings and shelf-life studies.
• Assisted with consumer panels, focus groups, and descriptive analysis panels. Laboratory Assistant, JIFSAN 11/2011 – 05/2013
College Park, MD
• Prepared and tested protocols for courses on detection methods for chemical and microbial contaminants.
• Compiled and maintained lab manuals, course flyers, contact lists, and lab safety information. Oral presentation, ASM Regional Meeting, Raleigh, NC 10/2015 Poster Presentation, ASM Microbe 2016, Boston, Massachusetts 06/2016 SKILLS
Statistics: SAS, JMP
Computer skills: Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Python (in progress), Technical writing Laboratory: HPLC, Gel Electrophoresis, PCR, Autotitrator, Titration, Media preparation, Management (Personnel, Laboratory, Budgetary, Inventory) HONORS AND AWARDS
Phi Tau Sigma Honor Society, North Carolina State University 04/2016 – Present Food Science Dept Students of Excellence Scholarship, NCSU 08/2014