**** ****** ******, *** ******, 94070, CA
Passionate about anything involving multiculturalism, languages, technology, fitness, and wellbeing. Proficient language skills in English and German. Well-versed in multicultural settings. EXPERIENCE
Translator, Interpreter, Subtitler; Florence Area, Italy June 2009 – Present Since 2009, I have worked for the following companies:
• AIFA Onlus, an independent association focusing on ADHD for which I translated several documents that were then collected into a single magazine that was rereleased in June 2009.
• Lionbridge, LinguaVox, TalkingHeads and Euroscript among others who translation jobs were mainly about technological, technical, and scientific topics. These translation jobs took place between 2014 and 2017. A specific translation job that is worth mentioning was for Lionbridge who required me to translate a 20,000 word document for Arrow Electronics
• School of Cognitive Hypnotherapy in Florence and Studio Forenix in Padua, Italy, for which I have interpreted at conferences and wine and oil meetings respectively. I interpreted for the School of Cognitive Hypnotherapy and Studio Forenix in 2017 and 2013 respectively.
• Napis Sottotitoli who required me to subtitle the movie American Vagabond for the Giffoni Film Festival in Rome.
English and Italian Teacher, Sprachcaffe Firenze Language Plus - Centro Linguistico Dante Alighieri, Florence Area, Italy December 2015 – December 2017
Skills Gained: I have been developing and strengthening effective skills in English and Italian teaching while offering my personal approach to the language both from a didactical and methodological perspective. During this period I furthered my experience teaching children as well.
Job: Daily preparation of lessons, use of audio-visual materials, examinations to assess acquired skills, teaching techniques for the self-development of glossaries and various strategies on how to master language-specific areas (speaking, listening, reading, and writing), preparation of tailored classes to meet students’ potential struggles.
English Teacher, Inventawide; Florence Area, Italy January 2017 – March 2017
Skills Gained: Improvement of the necessary skills to teach English while offering my personal approach to the language from an educational and methodological perspective.
Job: After introducing the basic grammar rules of English as well as daily conversation topics with the help of the book English File for Beginners, I have summarily introduced military jargon in a productive and interactive way, proposing possible real-life scenarios in the soldiers’ daily life in the army. English Teacher, IED Florence; Florence Area, Italy September 2015 – October 2015
Skills Gained: This was my first real experience with the teaching of a foreign language. I have acquired precious and valuable insight into and experience with the teaching of English, while trying to bring my personal touch on how to approach the language didactically and methodologically. The students I taught to were recent high-school graduates.
Job: Daily preparation of classes, use of audio-visual tools, preparatory tests for the assessment of newly-acquired skills, teaching of strategies for the self- enhancement of the vocabulary, teaching of strategies on how to improve the four main languages skills (speaking, listening, reading, and writing). Specialist, Apple; Florence Area, Italy August 2015 – October 2015 Skills Gained: Extensive knowledge of Apple products, exceptional salesmanships and communication skills, active listening, problem solving and proactivity skills, good teamwork skills.
Job: Provision of customer-tailored sale solutions, translation of technological language for every customer to make it simple yet sophisticated, completion of sales operations while managing money, credit cards or cheques, knowledge of ongoing promotions, trends, and features of the goods as well as store procedures, policies and inventory.
Italian Linguistic Assistant; Berlin Area, Germany October 2014 Localisation and proofreading of various video games for different platforms
• Localisation of AAA games
• Translation and proofreading of marketing texts related to video games
• Quality and consistency checks
• Use of MemoQ on a daily basis
• Coordination of video game localisation projects Skills Gained: I obtained close and precious insight on what the daily activity of a popular translation and localisation company consists of. This included participating at weekly meetings, taking care of admin jobs, occasionally answering to e-mails. After being shown how the company worked over the first few days of the internship, I developed independent skills in the management of daily activities, which included glossary drafting, alignment projects, terminology research and Q&A management as well as minor translation jobs.
Job: During the internship, I was in charge of localising Adobe InDesign documents whose focus was a course on Game Development and Computer Programming by Game Academy and Digital Bros. The project, which lasted for a total of 6 months, was entirely carried out with MemoQ and with close collaboration with other fellow interns. In addition to the main project outlined above, I also took care of other small localisation projects, which included mobile apps like The Flintstones: Bring Back Bedrock by Ludia, How to Train Your Dragon: School of Dragons by Grisou and Citiyens of Earth by Atlus, terminology research, glossary drafting and the creation of style guides.
Waiter, Piccolino Ristorante Pizzeria&Bar; Leeds, United Kingdom January 2014 – April 2014
Skills Gained: I developed good pressure and stress management skills over long hours, developed teamwork by helping teammates, excellent customer service skills by continuously serving tables, good organisation and memory skills as well as problem solving and initiative.
Job: I was responsible for many duties, including serving, cleaning and laying tables, cleaning silverware, kitchen appliances, cutting bread. Apple Sales Professional, Tradepartners; Florence Area, Italy November 2012 – December 2012
Skills Gained: I gained an extensive knowledge of Apple products by having daily contact with them. I mastered good speaking and selling skills by highlighting products’ top qualities. I developed good persuasions skills, active listening, coordination, problem solving and initiative as well. Job: I introduced and promoted Apple products to customers by focusing on their high-quality features while gaining ampler knowledge of Apple philosophy. I also assisted customers with technical queries and collaborated closely with co-workers from the same department.
Translator and Cataloguer (Internship); San Diego, CA, USA July 2011 – September 2011
Skills Gained: I learned how to manage pressure and stress over long hours. I also developed good IT, problem solving and initiative skills which I put into practice daily while reorganising the inventory. Working with other translators, I learned how to motivate a team when enthusiasm wanes.
Job: I successfully translated a considerable amount of documents along with other translators and was put in charge of reorganising the inventory. EDUCATION
University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom M.A. Audio-visual Translation Studies, 2014 - Merit
Università degli Studi di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy M.A. Lingue, Culture e Comunicazione, 2017 - 103/110
Main courses attended
- English Literature
- German Literature
- German Philology
- English Language and Culture
- German Language and Culture
- Semantics and Lexicology
Scuola Superiore di Lingue Moderne per Interpreti e Traduttori, Univeristy of Bologna, Italy B.A. Mediazione Linguistica Interculturale (Cultural and Language Mediation), 2012 - 102/110
• English (Proficient Level), certified with TOEFL, FCE, and different language courses
• German (Advanced Level), certified with TELC (C1), and different language courses
• Translation, Localisation, Subtitling, Proofreading, Technical Translation, SDL Trados, SDL Passolo, Swift, Memo!, CAT Tools
• Apple, macOS, iOS, iWork, Microsoft Office, Windows
• Linguistics, English Teaching