David Rowse, MS, MAS, PMP
Extensive experience providing leadership, management and coordination for complex programs. Successful track record of maximizing resources, production, and profitability. Extensive financial, operational, and business management experience. Strong problem solving, organizational, oral and written communication skills. Over 15 years of federal government contracting management experience with agencies including: CMS, NASA and the IRS. Supported NASA programs including the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), the Integrated Financial Management Program (IFMP), Glory, and the NASA Center for Computational Science (NCCS). Supported numerous CMS programs including the CSMM Help Desk and the MBDSS testing contract. Supported the Consolidated Innovation Center Development and IT (CICDIM) contract. Significant experience interfacing with diverse groups of government personnel to achieve programmatic objectives. Extensive schedule and EVM management experience. Extensive experience managing Cost Plus and Firm Fixed Price contracts.
Independent Consultant – CORMAC, ABM/ Technical Sales Representative – ACG 2017 - Present
Providing a variety of consulting services related to program management and business development:
• Staffing and pricing structures/recommendations for proposal activities.
• Developing plans and schedules for a rapidly growing company in order to coordinate all activities.
• Providing process reengineering services to standardize and optimize processes in an organization.
• Providing software solutions pertaining to prior authorizations in healthcare.
ActioNet, Woodlawn, MD – Program Manager 2016 - 2017
Operational management and financial responsibility for as many as 250 full time equivalents and involving over 60 projects. Delivery management and personnel oversight, emphasizing management best practices. Key interface with government to bridge gaps between customer concerns, expectations and engineering and financial decisions. Oversight and review of monthly status reports. Management of budgets, spending plans, EVM processes. Review, identification and editing of EVM reports for proper cost and schedule variance identification and explanation.
• Annual contractual services demanded increased from $35M to $42M during tenure in 2016.
• Successful management of a variable demand for service delivery environment with a blend of project focused teams that drew on a matrix of core centers for excellence in Security, Requirements, Test, Agile, Dev and Architecture.
• Key interface with CMS Government Task Leads and COR related to contract management.
• Maintained duel key role of Program Manager and EVM Lead while obtaining EVM Lead replacement.
• Maintained financial controls over fluid government demands to ensure that there were no overruns.
Quality Software Services Inc. (QSSI), Columbia, MD – Program Director 2010 - 2015
P&L responsibility for up to $80M in contracts staffed with over 120 full time equivalents. Financial, contractual management and performance optimization for up to $215M in contracts. Deliverable management oversight. Proposal support for staffing, pricing, writing and color team reviews. Oversight of Integrated Master Schedule (IMS) development and related resource loading. EVM process management.
• Identified low performance contracts. Increased project contributions by $1.5M over a six-month period.
• Developed and reported key project metrics that provided a clear picture of contract performance and contributions to executive management.
• Developed project EVM system resulting in no additional overhead expense.
• Formulated financial goals, identified project deficiencies and provided solutions to executives.
• Managed project performance and achieved all cost/schedule/scope objectives.
• Restructured project financial dashboards, reducing maintenance levels and improving accuracy.
• Provided key support on winning proposal efforts including staffing, pricing, resource loaded schedule development, writing and color team reviews.
Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC), Greenbelt, MD – Program Manager 2003 - 2010
NASA, National Center for Computational Sciences (NCCS) 2007 -2010
Developed, coordinated and managed planning and scheduling processes of Advanced Technology, High Performance Computing, Infrastructure, Security and User Services projects totaling $10M in annual revenue. Utilization of MS Project for scheduling activities and MS Excel for financial and report development/analysis.
• Management oversight leading to successful achievement of milestones. 100% compliance.
• Created the NCCS Integrated Master Schedule (IMS).
• Resolved problematic resource conflicts and interface issues between various NCCS groups.
• Created an acquisition/maintenance database, resolving problems with hardware and software budgets.
• Recognized in NASA award fee evaluations for conducting praiseworthy status reviews.
NASA Glory Spacecraft Program 2004 - 2007
Negotiated timelines, evaluated and managed contractor schedules and performance. Advised NASA management pertaining to contractor performance status and issues. Presentations to NASA management, the Independent Review Team, PDR and CDR reviews.
• Identified contractor deficiencies that threatened critical path. Quantified potential impacts to critical path and launch date. Directed contract management to correct schedule deficiencies.
• Projected launch date impacts based on various schedule scenarios, funding profiles, contractor performance and related critical path impact.
• Identified deficiencies in contractor EVM system and reported to NASA.
• Advised NASA management pertaining to proper WBS structure for Glory and identified deficiencies in contractor WBS structures that impacted EVM analysis.
• Refuted completion date claims by contractor for instrument delivery and projected a nine-month delay that was proven to be correct.
• Supervision of contractor planning and scheduling activities utilizing Microsoft Project.
IRS Prime Contract 2004 - 2005
Managed planning and scheduling personnel for $125M IRS contract. Overlapping management of IRS Prime and the NASA Glory Spacecraft contract for about eight months.
• Monitored progress and directed adherence to master plans and schedules utilizing MS Project.
• Defined, mapped, monitored production cycles.
• Managed process analysis and re-engineering activities.
• Modified proprietary EVM software system and resolved interface problems with COBRA.
NASA Integrated Financial Management Program (IFMP) 2003 - 2004
• Interfaced with executives having conflicting priorities in a high-visibility, politically charged environment.
• Consulting role with up to six NASA managers and external Program Managers.
• Conducted planning, scheduling and technical analysis of major projects. Advised NASA management pertaining to project status and problems associated with interfaces.
• Facilitated contractor interfaces to support critical business strategies.
• Managed IFMP status review process.
• Consulting role for NASA Change Management Team
• Utilization of Microsoft Project for scheduling activities.
QSS Group, Inc., Greenbelt, MD – Schedule Manager 2001 - 2003
NASA – James Webb Space Telescope
• Managed planning and program analysis for Flight Software/Ground Systems.
• Developed schedules and identified and managed critical path activities.
• Successfully predicted slippage of launch date of over a year.
• Advised Project Manager pertaining to proper requirements development and structure utilizing Rational tools.
• Utilization of Microsoft Project and Primavera for scheduling activities.
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS & AWARDS
• Project Management Professional - Project Management Institute
• Top Secret Clearance - Inactive
• Next Generation JWST Group Achievement Award – NASA
• Flight Projects Directorate Award – NASA
• IEEE - Power Engineering Society (Baltimore Chapter) - Chairman
• Adjunct Professor – Johns Hopkins University
•Previous consulting assignments with the Space Telescope Science Institute and Millennium Chemicals
MS Computer Science - Johns Hopkins University, Applied Physics Lab, Laurel, MD
Master of Admin Science, Business - Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
BS Chemistry - Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA