Richard J. Doherty BSCS, MBA Dual-National - Citizen of both UK and USA
Agile enthusiast and seasoned software technology professional with more than 15 years leadership experience gained as a CTO for a cloud-based multi-tenant startup (securing $40m in funding), VP for a global pharma giant, and senior manager for a global beverage giant. Leadership roles have included ERP roadmap and strategic planning initiatives, follow-on multi-year program delivery planning for realization of those strategic plans, and full project life-cycle delivery of multi-country implementation projects involving outsourced partners and implementation teams working from multiple geographies (on-shore & off-shore).
● Work experience includes:
o University of Alabama - MIS Faculty, MBA-MIS Work Experience Program (2013-present). o Diageo – ERP Project Manager & Programme Technical Lead (2009-2012). o GlaxoSmithKline – Vice President, ERP Design & Deployment (2008-09). o Diageo - SAP Project Manager within Diageo’s Global SAP Centre (2006-08). o MFI - CIO advisor, Application Architect & Technical Project Manager (2002-05). o FacilityPro – Chief Technology Officer for a B2B Marketplace (2000-02). o SAP America – Consultant, employee (1998-2000).
● Industry and professional credentials include:
o Certified Scrum Master (CSM) for Agile project teams, Scrum Alliance 2011. o Lean Six Sigma Black Belt certificate from Villanova University, 2010. o MSP & Prince2 (UK professional PM credentials) registered practitioner since 2006.
● Formal education:
o MBA & BS in Computer Science (University of Alabama. 1993). University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama USA (Clinical Faculty since Jan. 2013) MIS Instructor and Faculty Sponsor for multiple on-campus scrum teams each semester. Each scrum team is made up of senior-level MIS students and masters-level students in MIS - Enterprise Consulting concentrations. I teach Database (Design via ERDs, SQL, Power BI, Dashboards), and Agile software development courses as well as how to apply Scrum methods to successfully meet business-driven needs for working software. I then act as the faculty lead on agile software full-stack development efforts for key external clients (incl. Home Depot, FedEx, Regions, Stern Agee ). Diageo (spirit & beverage manufacturer/distributor), London, UK ((contract 2009-2012) ERP Project Manager responsible for leading multiple projects in parallel as part of a number of Diageo internal SAP releases. Diageo is best known by the brand names Smirnoff, Johnnie Walker, Guinness, Baileys, J&B, Captain Morgan and many others within the industry. Recent roles with Diageo include:
● Diageo PM for implementation of SAP Business Objects Data Integrator (BODI) product, SAP BI-Java systems, and enhanced web-based reporting for BW. 2009.
● Diageo Build-the-Solution Lead for the Diageo Way of Selling Program (implementation of CRM 7.0 and BI Integrated Planning). 2010 - 2011.
● Diageo PM for SBM Ireland Implementation. 2011.
● Diageo Technical Lead for Intouch Programme. 2011 – 2012. This programme involved Diageo’s Salesforce.com implementation using the first adoption of Agile & Scrum methodology by Diageo along with Diageo’s first deployment of iPads to its workforce in GB & Ireland (custom development & distribution of an enterprise iPad application integrated with a new custom web portal developed and delivered on Force.com with Salesforce.com integration to backend SAP ERP (PI & ECC6)). Richard J. Doherty BSCS, MBA Dual-National - Citizen of both UK and USA firstname.lastname@example.org +44-759******* +1-205-***-**** GlaxoSmithKline (Pharmaceuticals and Consumer Products), London, UK (2008 - 2009) VP, ERP Design & Deployment responsible for ERP strategic planning and delivery as part of the Commercial and Enterprise Systems senior leadership team with full responsibility for design and deployment to include introduction and embedding of release management methods across GSK core ERP assets
(commercial and manufacturing systems) across multiple GSK regions.
● Department head for a group of 48 internal consulting resources (functional and technical) working in a highly regulated/validated environment for pharmaceutical / health care manufacturing.
● Departmental responsibility for all resources engaged in release strategy, planning, integration, and full project life-cycle (design, development, configuration, testing, & deployment).
● Direct responsibility for introduction and embedding of effective Release Strategy, Planning, and Management methods across five core systems used within GSK’s highly regulated/validated pharmaceutical environment (two core global manufacturing installations, one commercial instance for Japan, one commercial instance for Europe, and one newly introduced commercial instance for Australia & New Zealand that is proposed for use as a new global commercial template).
● Six director-level direct reports included the following: Functional Solutions (manufacturing & commercial), Technical Solutions (manufacturing & commercial), Testing Solutions (across all efforts), Solution/Release Management (across all live manufacturing and commercial systems).
● Steering committee member for all efforts related to commercial & manufacturing systems.
● GSK ERP IT Management team member with direct involvement in all efforts related to ERP Strategy and Organisational Development across the full GSK ERP space (Global).
● Annual departmental budget 5m+ GBP with significant internal cross-charge targets for internal staff engaged in implementation efforts not including an external resource project-related burn-rate of roughly 300k/month for external consulting staff engaged in market roll-out efforts and progression of large-scale enhancements.
Diageo (spirit & beverage manufacturer/distributor), London, UK ((contract 2006-2008) Project Manager responsible for leading multiple projects in parallel as part of a number of Diageo internal ERP releases (internal release every 6 months). Diageo is best known by the brand names Smirnoff, Johnnie Walker, Guinness, Baileys, J&B, Captain Morgan and many others within the industry. Responsibilities for Diageo across 2006, 2007, and 2008 included:
● Project management of multi-geography Diageo BW/BI consolidation of regional BW 3.5 implementations into one global implementation on BI 7.0 with BIA. Programme responsibility spanning 3 separate 9-month releases each with 3 months planning and analysis followed by a 6-month cycle of design, build & unit test, system & integration test, UAT, regression test, deploy and warranty phases.
● Project management of development and execution of Automated Regression Testing efforts.
● Project management role included management of outsourced third-party resources spread across the following locations: UK, USA, Hungary, India, Spain, and the Philippines. Projects delivered into business units world-wide via robust Release Management focused delivery methods. MFI UK Ltd (furniture manufacturer & retailer), London, UK (contract 2002 – 2005) Roles over 3 years with MFI included Technical Project Manager, Infrastructure Stream Lead, Advisor to the acting CIO, Advisor to the IS Director/Director of Business Improvement, working member of the senior management team (and steering committee during escalation efforts), and ultimately Interim Service Delivery Manager for this large UK-based furniture manufacturer & retailer during multiple phases of their ERP implementation efforts. Responsibilities included:
● Management of systems integration, development, middleware, and infrastructure teams.
● Creation of implementation and training plans for the development and infrastructure teams.
● Active participation in the software selection effort and subsequent implementation of the Mercury interactive suite of related s/w testing products (TestDirector, Astra QuickTest, LoadRunner).
● Responsibility for all aspects of application architecture to include interfaces between SAP ERP and legacy systems to include integration via CrossWorlds (IBM WebSphere Business Integration). Richard J. Doherty BSCS, MBA Dual-National - Citizen of both UK and USA email@example.com +44-759******* +1-205-***-**** FacilityPro (B2B Marketplace), Atlanta, GA USA.
Chief Technology Officer (2000 - 2002)
Responsible for all aspects of technology delivery to include strategic planning, technical and functional management, and ownership of all application areas related to FacilityPro’s SAP B2B Marketplace environment (FacilityPro’s marketplace made Forbes’ Best of the Web - 2001 in the MRO and Real Estate categories; it has since been acquired by Prosero www.prosero.net ). Core product architecture consisted of a hosted e-procurement solution for enabling private marketplace environments on behalf of FacilityPro customers. Production operation involved more than five hundred active users ordering on behalf of more than four thousand locations from a FacilityPro hosted catalog representing multiple suppliers and nearly five hundred thousand parts. Enterprise Application Integration (EAI) was accomplished via webMethods (also known as SAP’s Business Connector), and SAP R/3 version 4.5B (MM, SD, FI, CO-PA) was used for back-end ERP order processing, fulfillment, and financials. EDI integration with suppliers was implemented via use of products from Gentran and Mercator. Department resources ranged from twenty-five team members to fifty team members during peak project efforts (80% permanent and 20% consulting staff). Position involved both technical and functional application management with full budgetary responsibility ($5M+) to include negotiation of vendor relationships and management of projects involving major implementation partners to include SAP, CGE&Y, and PWC.
● Led product selection efforts and played a hands-on role during implementation efforts related to SAP’s EBP - Enterprise Buyer Professional product (also known as mySAP E-Procurement or SRM ).
● Led product selection efforts and played a hands-on role during implementation of the BugsEye catalog engine and eMerge content management tools from Requisite as part of mySAP E-Procurement/SRM .
● Led data warehousing product selection efforts and introduction of SAP Business Warehouse (BW).
● Managed SAP R/3 version 4.5B three-system landscape build-out and played hands-on techno-functional role during implementation via SAP’s ASAP implementation methodology .
● Led earlier implementation efforts related to use of i2/RightWorks web-based procurement product.
● Managed all aspects of technical infrastructure and build-out of all technical environments for both internal and external use (development, test, and production environments for all products).
● Managed internal data center and co-location design, contract negotiation, and build-out.
● Managed telecommunications efforts to include vendor selection, contract negotiation, and build-out of all systems and components related to both voice and data communications (local and hosted).
● Acted as hands-on project manager for all technology efforts involving third party vendors.
● Managed catalog content and EDI interaction with suppliers (Grainger, WESCO, Philips, and others).
● Managed custom software development efforts and introduction of eXtreme Programming (XP) for rapid application development of our custom portal application along with Rational Unified Process (RUP) for integrated management of our complex mix of e-commerce, EAI, and SAP systems. Richard J. Doherty BSCS, MBA Dual-National - Citizen of both UK and USA firstname.lastname@example.org +44-759******* +1-205-***-**** SAP America, Atlanta, GA USA.
SAP Consultant (1998 - 2000)
SAP consultant on SAP implementation efforts for the following SAP customers/projects: OshKosh B'gosh (Children’s clothing retailer) USA, SAP Technical Project Manager (12/1999 - 3/2000) Senior SAP Basis Consultant acting as Technical Project Manager for the stand-alone implementation of SAP's supply chain management solution Advanced Planner and Optimizer (APO), and SAP's data warehousing solution, Business Information Warehouse (BW) .
IMERYS/English China Clay (ECC) Intl. (Mining & Process Manufacturing), St. Austell, UK, SAP Technical Project Manager (10/99-12/99)
SAP Technical Project Manager working with the ECC Global Team Lead to establish SAP ASAP technical project plans for building out the technical infrastructure for ECC's global implementation effort on SAP R/3 4.5B using Windows NT and Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 (ECC has a global presence with data center operations split between the U.S. and the U.K.).
United Catalysts Inc. (Process Manufacturing), Louisville, KY USA, SAP Technical Project Manager (10/1998 - 10/1999)
SAP Technical Project Manager during full SAP ASAP implementation of SAP R/3 4.0B FI/CO, MM, and SD modules with system implementation on DEC Alpha servers running Windows NT, Microsoft Cluster Server, and Oracle8. Responsibilities included all areas of R/3 system implementation - from Project Prep. (October 1998) to successful Go-Live (May 1999). Duties included Tech. Proj. Mgmt. of on-going production R/3 system support, ABAP development to support R/3 Basis operations, and Outlook Forms development (Exchange 5.5, Outlook98, and VBScript) to support change management processes. Vencor (Health Care), Louisville, KY USA – SAP Technology Consultant (9/1998 - 10/1998) SAP Technical Consultant during the health care provider's SAP R/3 4.0B implementation on Windows NT with Microsoft SQL Server 7.0. Responsible for general R/3 Basis support, in addition to organization, development and delivery of training sessions to facilitate knowledge transfer to operations. Convergys (HR Benefits outsourcing), Jacksonville, FL USA – SAP Tech Cons. (8/1998 - 9/1998). SAP Technical Consultant during the SAP R/3 4.0B implementation of Convergys' HR outsourcing operation on UNIX/Oracle. Convergys handled HR Benefits for AT&T, Lucent, and Boeing. Project experience included; R/3 Basis support during go-live for AT&T, stress testing in preparation for the Boeing go-live, and on-going change management for the complex R/3 system landscape. At the time, Convergys handled HR Benefits outsourcing for AT&T, Lucent, and Boeing.
Positions held prior to SAP
● University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL USA, Assoc. Dir. of Technology, Business School. 1997- 98.
● Ceridian Employer Services, Atlanta, GA USA, Software Engineer & Foundation Lead, 1994 - 96.
● Thomas & Betts Corporation, Memphis, TN USA, Software Engineer, 1993 - 94. Education
Master of Business Administration (MBA ), Graduate School of Business, Univ. of Alabama. USA. 1993. Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BSCS ), College of Engineering, Univ. of Alabama. USA. 1990. Military Service
US Army, Military Occupational Specialty 97B, Counterintelligence. 1985-1987.