Fairfax, Virginia email@example.com 501-***-****
Innovative and experienced help-desk support specialist with the skills to generate powerful results at the intersection of people and technology. Enthusiastic problem solver and troubleshooter. I make technology efficient and engaging for users, regardless of their ability. Hardware project lead: Mac/PC, workstations, phone systems, audio-visual systems, copiers, Wi-Fi.
• Tier 1,2,3 Help-Desk • Microsoft Office • Mac/PC, Windows XP,7,8.1,10
• SQL • PHP • Office 365 Admin
• Microsoft Teams
• iOS / iPhones / Android
• Synology NAS devices
• Linux Imaging & Backup
• VoIP Phones
• Abila netFORUM
• Skype for Business
• End-User Training Leader
• Cisco Umbrella
Information Technology Specialist 2002 to 2018
American Society of Nephrology (ASN)
• Served as project manager for smooth transition from a local Microsoft Exchange server to Office 365 email in the cloud. Managed a team of five people during the upgrade.
• Provided exceptional customer service and end user support during engagements via phone, email conversations and in person. Created powerful how-to videos and F.A.Q.s.
• Enhanced workplace productivity by deploying Microsoft Teams, which modernizes the way we work together by utilizing a chat-based collaboration workspace, and Smartsheet, a platform for leveraging ideas by empowering next-level organization.
• Decreased expenses as lead negotiator and liaison on vendor contracts including phones, copiers, and audio-visual systems (A/V). Cut costs by $8,000/year on two vendor contracts in 2017, $24,000 over the life of the contract for A/V systems and upgraded copiers.
• Led transition from desktop workstations to 42 Dell laptop workstations, imaging, configuring, and supporting laptops for everyone in the company. Supported 15 remote laptop users as well, keeping them connected with VPN and Skype for Business.
• Built an RSS feed using PHP.
• Reduced frustration by replacing a poorly run phone service vendor with a customer-focused company. Upgraded to a modern Power over Ethernet, VoIP phone system.
• Managed email marketing. Sent several HTML formatted emails a week for 3 years, with a sterling track-record of mistake-free work.
• Increased membership numbers from 7,000 to over 11,000 with results-oriented marketing.
• Configured and supported staff iPhones. Experience supporting Mac iOS.
• Worked with the Wi-Fi router vendor directly when I identified a Windows 10 update that broke the SHA-1 based login functionality, and they deployed a SHA-256 based patch based on my report before Microsoft rolled out the update to all OS versions two months later. If I hadn’t acted, Wi-Fi in the office would have broken down completely, impacting the office-wide ability to access networked documents during meetings. Impressed many colleagues with this action.
• Troubleshooted ASN’s crash-prone touch-panel room-control remote in the conference room by turning down the brightness, a solution our vendor failed to try. Fixed catastrophic downtime on V.I.P. meeting days.
• Worked with the ASN IT Director to make the ASN website powerful and user friendly: replaced time-consuming hand generation of international trade show attendee invitation letter requests
(needed for US visa applications), with website-generated PDF invitation-letters. Saved 4 hours a week of workload and reduced user frustration from waiting for institutional response.
• Progressed through multiple roles. Previously led process innovation, reforming a cumbersome scientific awards process that generated over 5,000 paper documents to be distributed to 30 committee members. Made entire process electronic.
• Honed written and oral communication skills in an earlier role by answering tens of thousands of calls and emails from ASN members. Provided tier 1 support. Learned how to help users with both the problems that they struggled with individually, as well as problems caused by issues with our systems.
Bicycle and Car messenger 1993 to 2001
• Won three bicycle messenger competitions from fields of approximately 100 other competitors, gaining the most points in timed events, showcasing my ability to think, decide, and act quickly and with aplomb. In competitive bicycle racing, won two state championships and four other USA Cycling competitions.
Bachelor of Arts in Politics, University of California, Santa Cruz Coursework toward Master of Theological Studies, John Leland Center for Theological Studies (51 of 60 credits completed)
Licensed, active grade 8 youth soccer referee.