Professional Accountant/Financial Analyst with 14 years of experience working with INGO organizations in Africa, in leadership roles, driving efficiency in administration and finances, including financial analysis and reporting, budgeting, and project management. Use of data analytics to prescribe optimal solutions and strategies for organizations. Adept at managing priorities and meeting deadlines. ACCA Certified-UK and CPA US Candidate Virginia Board of Accountancy. Strong background in US-GAAP, US-GAAS, and IFRS with a solid ERP Business Foundation.
High Initiative: Revealed commodities distribution fraud issues with a partner, recovering $500,000 that was sent back to the donor/funder.
Leadership: Developed a $75 million, three-year budget for 11 sub awardees, reporting to HQ teams on a quarterly basis; Closed out three grants, totaling $63 million successfully, including partner’s books; Recruited, interviewed, trained, and mentored 15+ members, so there was a proper succession plan for the national team. CORE COMPETENCIES
• Excel pivot tables • Budget Variance Analysis • Forecasting • Partner’s Expenditure Monitoring & Controls
• Data-Mining with SAP • Donor Financial Reports • Closings • USGAAP/GAAS & PCAOB Standards • IFRS
• NAVSION DYNAMICS • QuickBooks, Peachtree • LAWSON ERP • SUNSYTEM. Grant Management
• Strategic Planning • Verbal & Written Communication • Collaborative Teamwork CAREER EXPERIENCE
Vanguard Resources Group Inc. 02/2018-06/2018
US Payroll Tax Accountant, Internship
Bi-weekly Payroll Calculations for local non-profit clients including deduction for FICA, FIT, SIT and Medicare Ta and prepare Quarterly payroll tax reports including Federal Form 941, state income tax withholding reporting and the required SUTA Reports by ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulatory reporting requirements and guidelines.
African Society for Laboratory Medicine (ASLM) 09/2017-01/2018 Senior Finance Manager
Reporting to the CEO, I was responsible for maintaining the organizational administration and accounting function and innovating through process improvement. Managing collaborative team member, who was able to speak up in a crowd and work across functions and regions. Managing general administration and accounting practices across multiple countries, and accounting staff in Ethiopia. Mercy Corps, Ethiopia 11/2016 - 08/2017
Country Financial Manager
• Managed a $63 million budget for a USAID –PRIME Program for five years and a £4 DFID Program in country for both emergency and non-emergency programs.
• I was a member of the Senior Management Team, and was responsible for major aspects of financial management of the country program, working collaboratively to ensure compliance with Mercy Corps internal policies and procedures as well as donor regulations.
• Supervised and lead a diverse team of direct and indirect reports in field offices. HABTU DESSIE • Page 2 • 641-***-**** •firstname.lastname@example.org
• Contributed to country team-building efforts; build constructive internal relationships; help team members identify problem solving options and ensure integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
• Provided monthly management reports to the Country Director and Program Managers, including expenditures by cost center/project, sub grantee reporting and other financial information, in a timely and accurate manner.
• Developed annual fiscal year budgets with the CD and implement grant budgeting and forecasting systems with Program Managers.
• Provided monthly standard accounting submissions to Mercy Corps Headquarters, including general ledger files, account reconciliations, expenditures by cost center/project, required sub grantee reporting, as well as other financial information in a timely and accurate manner. Population Service International, South Sudan 1/2013-09/2016 Finance and Compliance Manager
• Managed $75 million budget for a Global Fund Malaria Program for three years and a £13 DFID Program in country for both Prime Recipients and 11 Subrecipients.
• Planned, organized, and managed three-years budgets for South Sudan, including data analysis and financial reporting to donors on a quarterly basis.
• Prepared and revised program and partners budget and develop criteria to select partners and assessing the financial capacity of partners
• Provided analysis and oversight of overall and sub-recipient budgets including monthly burn rate analysis to HQ, Executive Senior Team and Donors(Global Fund and DFID ).
• Prepared regular financial reports for the Local Fund Agent, donor and management.
• Liaised with head offices to ensure accurate record of contracts, budget management and expenditure control
• Maintained program updates for each sub-recipient using the standardized forms, and provided feedback to sub-recipients to strengthen effective implementation of project.
• Provided Project managers and sub recipients with analysis of preparation, implementation, and closure of project contracts to ensure prudent, responsive, and up-to-date management of project and Sub- recipients’ contracts.
• Provided trainings to sub-recipient and Ministry of Health’s staff on financial, grant and donor compliance.
• Followed up of the implementation of audit and management letter recommendations. The Carter Center, Juba, South Sudan 3/2012- 12/ 2012 Assistant Finance Manager
• Provided financial assistance to the Finance Director in order to meet the financial service needs of the South Sudan field offices.
• Reported and analyzed expenditures as compared to budget; in medicine inventory reports;
• Managed and led monthly closing of accounts of the country offices and sent to Head Quarter, Atlanta, USA.
Christian Children’s Fund of Canada Ethiopia, Addis Ababa Ethiopia 11/ 2009 – 01/2012 Country Finance Manager
• Managed $13 million in USAID, CIDA and EU fund projects in seven regions of Ethiopia.
• Managed and led monthly closing of accounts of the country offices and sent to Head Quarter, Toronto, Canada.
• I was a member of the Senior Management Team, and was responsible for major aspects of financial management of the country program, working collaboratively to ensure compliance with Mercy Corps internal policies and procedures as well as donor regulations World Vision Ethiopia, Amhara Regional Offices, Ethiopia 10/2007 – 08/2009 Senior Accountant
• Managed $12 million in sponsorship for USAID /GTF WASH Projects and supervised three staff. HABTU DESSIE • Page 2 • 641-***-**** •email@example.com St. Mary’s University College, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 02/2006 –10/2007 Graduate Lecturer
• Taught Financial Reporting & Accounting, Accounting information system, Tax Accounting, Auditing Financial Management, QuickBooks and Peachtree to Degree and Diploma students. Ethiopian Insurance Corporation (EIC), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 01/2004-02/2006 Assistant Supervisor Auditor, Financial Audit
• Under close supervision, examined accounting records and other related documents to ensure compliance with the established Financial, Accounting, Custodial and Control policies. EDUCATION
MBA- SAP Finance/Accounting (in progress), Anticipated Graduation, June 2020, Maharishi University of Management, Iowa, US
MBA -Strategic Management International Cambridge College, New Jersey, UK (Not Completed and attended Six Courses Only )
B.A. in Accounting, July 2003, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia CERTIFICATIONS
Certified Chartered Accountant (ACCA-UK) – February 2010. CPA -Candidate (USA), Approved by the Virginia Board of Accountancy, June 2018 ADDITIONAL TRAININGS
Complete USAID Donor Regulations and Microsoft Dynamics NAV., Mercy Corps, 03-17/Feb/2017, Portland, Oregon, USA.
Uniform Guidelines and Subaward Management, Mercy Corps, 18-21 January 2017, Nairobi, Kenya. Global Fund Budget Negotiation and Presentation, PSI 22-26 December 2014, Geneva, Switzerland. Subawards Monitoring and Management, PSI, 01 Feb-31March 2015, Washington DC, USA USAID Rules and Regulations at, INSIDE NGO, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia COMPUTER SKILLS
• Microsoft Office • Advanced Excel Pivot • Microsoft Dynamics NAV • QuickBooks. • SAP • LAWSON ERP
•SAP BusinessObjects Predictive Analytics. • SAP Lumira• SUNSYTEM. •Data Mining with R Modeler & Weka. Reference
1. Ericka Ward-Audena, Financial Analyst, Creative Associate International, Skype: queenericka Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Washington DC
2. Dr. Andrew Bragerstock, Head of MBA Program, Maharishi university of Management,Email: email@example.com,Cell:+1-641-***-**** Fairfield, Iowa. 3. Mr. Solomon Beresa Bayisa, Electrical Communications Engineering, SWVA Inc and Adjunct Faculty, Marshal University, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Cell: +1-304-***-****, Huntington, WV 4. Mrs. Farhana Zuberi,UNICEF, Global Fund Program Manger Somalia Program, Email: email@example.com, Nairobi, Kenya