STEPHEN P. NELSON
INFORMATION SYSTEMS PROFESSIONAL
Goal-oriented problem solver, Information Systems Professional with 20+ years’ experience in DoD and Commercial engineering environments. Full life cycle Software Development of numerous software projects, including feasibility, design, testing and integration. Versatile cross-technical expertise in Electrical Engineering, Information Systems, Quality Assurance, Test Engineering and Cybersecurity. Effective Information Technology Instructor. Ability to maximize results through process improvement. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. A R E A S O F S T R E N G T H
• Web Application Software Design • Project Management • Instructional Presentation
• asp.NET Entity Framework Db
• Coding, Testing, & Debugging
• Algorithm Development
• Quality Assurance
• Technical Documentation
• Troubleshooting & Issue Resolution
K EY T E C H N I C A L S K I L L S
SOFTWARE – ASP.NET MVC, 2015, AZURE & AMAZON WEB SERVICES, HTML 5, SQL AND ENTITY FRAMEWORK LANGUAGES - C#, C++, STL, Bootstrap, HTML5, CSS, JSON, JQuery, Java, XML, Java Script, PHP, TSQL AJAX HARDWARE – SPECIAL TEST EQUIPMENT DESIGN, Router, Hubs, Switches, LAN / WAN, TCP/IP Test Instrumentation OPERATING SYSTEMS – WINDOWS 10, Windows XP, Small Business Server 2008 R2, Joomla, INTEL 8051 Assembler, UNIX Test Systems, Embedded, Citrix Server, Moodle LMS. P R O F E S S I O N A L E X P E R I E N C E
Cygnet Systems, LLC, Ocala, Florida March 2016 - Present Systems and Software Engineer
Management Information Services and Computer Security (Department of Corrections Clearance) Provided Cyber Systems Security to retail, QA compliance testing, database and financial management software. • Responsible for implementing computer vulnerability countermeasures to protect, networks and data from internal and external threats. • Including Assets, Websites, Policy Compliance, Malware Detection and user education.
• Developed custom software tools in Microsoft asp.NET, MVC employing Entity Framework as a Cloud Based application as a contract service. My back ground as a Test Engineer was of great advantage to these projects. Key Projects:
• IT Support, Hardware, Operating Systems, Networks, Software and MS Office Common Business Applications
• Developed database interface to IBM iSystem Platform to successfully manage queries and reporting using MS Access and SQL to track student attendance records that generated reports for State Grant program.
• Cloud Based Web Application Development employing Visual Studio MVC & Entity Framework on an Azure platform.
• Fostered a profitable client base by developing strategic networking relationships that provided I.T. support.
• Supported marketing agencies website and ecommerce business solution development in PHP.
• Performed Audits, testing and training to Merchant Card Industry for compliance and support as an outside vendor.
• Identified network vulnerabilities, employed countermeasures and training to protect client assets from threat actors.
• Created financial management and inventory software in C++ and C#, employing ODBC, SQL EF technologies.
• Served as Director of Information Technology, overseeing training of 21 squadrons for the USAF-CAP (Lt. Col Retired) ATS Technologies, Inc, Huntington, NY Metropolitan Area June 2004– February 2006 Product Support and Computer Consultant / Owner
Provided over-all Customer Service to small Retail and Dental offices. Developed Financial Management Tools and Inventory Control software development to increase efficiency and exceptional technical support. Provided equipment recommendations and sales. Trained personnel on computer operations and designed highly effective websites for marketing. Key Projects:
• Developed CRM and client websites for the travel industry using Visual Studio on an IIS server and VM.
• Streamlined Jet Engine Blade inventory software, creating an efficient modernized application in C++ MFC Aerotek Contract Engineering Services, New York City & Long Island October 1992 – February 2006 Test Engineer & Quality Assurance (contract assignments as available) Brought on by contract agency to design various QA software projects using C++ for companies such as Pitney Bowes, Symbol Technologies, Vicon Industries, Telephonics Inc., Northrop Grumman, Veeco Systems, and Hofstra University. Key Projects: Embedded Software, Desktop MFC Applications, Special Test Equipment, Web App and Communications Software.
• Designed PC-based software for printing 2D barcode USPS stamps.com using Microsoft Foundation Class C++.
• Created software controls for Light Airborne Multipurpose Systems, Navy Helicopters to control the radar in flight, in C
• Developed motion sensitive software for Video Surveillance system to pan cameras in casinos and security areas in VB.
• Developed embedded software for validating currency accepting multi-country, multi-denominational money, in C/C++
• Developed Fuel Management Systems Software algorithm for verifying aircraft fuel gauge accuracy, in C++.
• Reduced production costs by crafting Automated Production Test System to isolate to component failure in C. Raytheon, Electronics Systems Division, Melville, NY June 1986 – October 1992 Test Engineer (Secret Clearance)
Directed Test Concept Development, Electrical Design, Software Development, and Integration of computerized Test Equipment, which included executing test strategies, design verification testing, and enhancing sell-off and cut-over processes for the customer. Analyzed requirements to meet “Best Commercial Practice,” or Mil Standards. Citrus Information Technology Alliance (CITA), Inverness, Florida October 2008 – October 2010 President (Extracurricular activity)
Trade Association evangelist that fostered leadership, direction and business networking to the local technology community. CITA advocated industry trends, promoted strategic alliances and encouraged educational development for future growth. Adjunct Instructor APT College, Carlsbad, CA (Florida Campus) September 2013 – June 2013 Adjunct Instructor Computer Networking Instructor for (AT&T Prism) Corporate Training to cable installers in preparation for Cisco and Basic Electronics theory industry Certifications. Adjunct Instructor College of Central Florida, Lecanto Campus, Florida June 2011 – October 2011 Conducted a class on web design essentials to introduce students to the building blocks of website creation. Adjunct Instructor Withlacoochee Technical Institute, Inverness, Florida January 2007 – October 2010 Taught student’s strategies and key skills for website design, creating challenging, highly applicable curriculum plans. Adjunct Instructor State University of New York, Farmingdale, NY August 2000 – December 2005 Conducted classes of up to 35 students in C++ Object Oriented Programming and Advanced Data Structures. Conducted classes from basic to advanced Electronics Theory and Discreet Digital Logic circuit. Adjunct Instructor Suburban Tech, Hempstead, New York September 2000 – March 2001 Conducted classes of up to 35 students in Basic Electronics (Analog and Digital) and Computer Networking. Adjunct Instructor Kathern Gibbs School, Hempstead, New York January 2001 – June 2001 Conducted classes of up to 35 students in Web Development using HTML scripting E D U C A T I O N & T R A I N I N G
Master of Science in Cyber System Security,
Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne, FL, Graduate Studies in process Bachelor of Science in Computer Science Information Systems, Long Island University, CW Post Brookville, N.Y. 2002 Associates of Science, Business Management & Electronic Technology, SUNY, Farmingdale, N.Y. 1992 Associates of Science, Cleveland Institute of Electronics, Electronic Radio Communications Additional Course Work: Certified Informational Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Certified Ethical Hacker, Computer Systems Security, Cisco CCENT, CCNA and CompTIA, CASP Security +, MIT Open Course Wear: Threat Model Attacks. Military Experience: United States Army Veteran, US Army Signal Corp, Division Photographer, Vietnam Era