Construction Quality Control Manager- Telecom Projects/Utilities
CyberCoders - Upland, CA
Good day Human Resources Managers,
Thank you for taking the time to review my letter and resume. I am interested in meeting you to discuss the opportunity of becoming your new Construction Quality Control Manager in Upland, CA. I believe you will find I am uniquely qualified through my experiences in several key areas, especially in Los Angeles and Southern California. I consider myself a person of high integrity with a passion for doing it right the first time, on time. I have held management and leadership positions with major corporations, over an extensive period of time. Initial career positions included working for prior Bell Systems companies that provided the core of my training, including Pacific Bell/AT&T, PacTel Companies, Nortel and Williams Communications, and Prescott Communications. I have held various positions including OSP & Network Engineer, Sr. Systems Consulting Engineer, Engineering Manager, and Project Manager. I was responsible for designing, installing, and overseeing installations of Networked PBX’s, Voice and Data Networks, Call Centers utilizing ISDN, and designing extensive Fiber Networks. In my past, I was part of the original fiber network and communications engineering team for both the Red Line and Blue Line in Los Angeles, supporting 36 stations over 38 miles of fiber.
During my career, I have engineered and project managed the construction of many inter/intra-state Voice & Data IP and ISDN switched networks. These networks were provided for corporate, civic, educational, and health industry clients. Designs included fiber systems, computer room designs for centralized servers, routers and network equipment. I also designed Telecommunications rooms and closet distribution systems for telecom switches with associated building and campus fiber designs. Media designs included fiber, copper, coax, and microwave. Public Network circuits were selected and sized where required utilizing T-1, DS1, DS3, and SONET technology. Many of my duties included team leadership and management assignments, RFP and Scope of Work creation, estimating, bidding, budgeting, contractor management, auditing, accounting, and bringing the projects in on time and at profit. Some large fiber projects included Newpath’s (now Crown Castle) 87 mile fiber and substructure design for over 140 new cell sites in Arizona and engineering of fiber and substructure for Verizon FIOS services to 9,400 users via 38 distributed fiber hubs in Simi Valley. In 2007 as Engineering Manager, I was assigned to open and run a local engineering office for Prescott Communications, supporting Verizon California day-to-day engineering contract work. This assignment was for approximately 30 months and served Verizon's Irwindale, Santa Fe Springs, and Huntington Beach engineers. September 6, 2018
Construction Quality Control Manager- Telecom Projects/Utilities CyberCoders - Upland, CA
Upon completion of that assignment, I was assigned as the single-point-of-contact and Project Manager for our major account Edison Carrier Solutions (ECS), supporting over 25 Planners throughout the lower half of California, located in Alhambra and Rialto. My confidence comes from many successful projects and first-time accomplishments. This includes major responsibilities on the Space Shuttle Endeavour move in Los Angeles to the California Science Center. In 2012, I was named one of seven strategic California Science Center Logistics Team Members, ultimately responsible for all overhead engineering and construction along the route. My ultimate responsibilities were to clear over 250 power and communications aerial obstructions at over 80 locations, clearing the 12 mile route for her tail. Engineering and Construction under my leadership was accomplished within 6 months for this heavy load move. This effort included the simultaneous coordination and management of all Power and Communications Utilities, Cable Companies, Carrier Contractors and Subcontractors who reported to me. Project tools such as individual and merged Project Gantt and Pert Charts, with each individual discipline’s tasks and timelines, were critical to the overall success of the project. I reported directly to Marty Fabrick the Project Director. The move of Space Shuttle Endeavour in Los Angeles was the most challenging, exciting, and rare opportunities that remains one of the most rewarding in my career. When my former companies were challenged with first-time projects, I have always been the go-to person assigned to pioneer, engineer, and project manage unusual requests. Since I enjoy rolls relative to leadership and management, I would be most interested in this area, although fully opened to others.
New projects and the challenge they bring excite me. I am especially excited about the chance to contribute for you in Rancho Cucamonga.
Please see my Resume attached. I will be happy to provide References and further details of accomplishments.
Thank you for your consideration and time.
James A. Arcaro
Project Manager – Manager - Sales Consultant/Engineer
Experienced Project Manager, Engineering Manager, Sales Consultant, and Engineer within the Telecommunications and Information Transport industry. Specializing in Leadership, Project Coordination and Planning. Lead teams for complex and high visibility projects, from Space Shuttle moves to Refinery Tank moves to large Corporate Communications IT projects. Engineering Manager, responsible for the development, opening, and operations of a new Communications Engineering satellite office. Customer focused and bottom line driven. Very strong analytical, organizational, engineering, sales and presentation skills. Enjoy high customer interaction and account assignments. Exercise visionary thinking with can-do attitude and combine risk taking decisions when required to deliver multi-discipline cost savings solutions, resulting in a high level of customer satisfaction.
I am seeking a Project Manager, Construction Manager, Consultant/Planner, or Sr. Engineering Manager position where I can contribute to an organization by utilizing my best past experiences and accomplishments.
2006-2016 Prescott Communications, d.b.a. Cable Engineering Services (CES) Assigned the Single Point of Contact and Project Manager for Southern California Edison Carrier Solutions (SCECS), supporting 25+/- SCECS Planners for their Southern California territory, spanning their East and West Regions. Worked independently both in office and remote, telecommuting and performing customer site visits and office meetings for all projects. Other customer assignments included:
• Newpath (Crown Castle) Engineering provided a 87 mile fiber and substructure design for over 140 new cell sites in Arizona
• Verizon Engineering of fiber and substructure, providing FIOS services to 9,400 residences and commercial businesses in a single project via 38 distributed fiber hubs
• California Science Center Logistics Team member for the Space Shuttle Endeavour move in Los Angeles
• Chevron Logistics Team member for El Segundo’s 6 Coke Tower moves
• AT&T Lightspeed (U-verse) Project Engineer, provided AT&T site selection and design layouts in the public right-of-way for U-verse equipment cabinets, fiber, and local power utility services, over a 1 year period
• Prescott-CES Company Assignment Located, developed, and furnished a new Engineering Satellite Office for Prescott-CES, dedicated to supporting Verizon California Engineering and Construction Districts in Irwindale, Santa Fe Springs, and Huntington Beach. Managed Engineering in this office, developing Verizon Construction Packages, utilizing Verizon engineering systems remotely from this office. Managed personnel included Engineers, Fielders, Researchers, Permit Coordinators, AutoCAD Drafters, and Admin.
*Specific Project details and references available upon request. James Arcaro
Project Manager – Manager - Sales Consultant/Engineer
Assignments and responsibilities included:
• Sales procurement of SCECS, Verizon California, and other high profile customer projects
• Develop Project Budgets and interact with Accounting for all Receivables and Payables
• Select and Manage Contract Construction Services, Manage close customer expectations and relationships, contractor and Utilities Coordination including non-disclosures, contract terms, required resources, jurisdictional requirements, performance schedule, and contractor scope of work for construction services
• Project Implementation Management of contractors, safety, training, budget monitoring, timelines, due dates, standards, quality, and billing
• Engineer Fiber Networks, Underground Substructure, Aerial Designs, and Traffic Plans
• Work with AutoCAD and Adobe PDF drawings, Public Jurisdiction drawings and records, and Developer Construction Plans containing Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, Substructure, and Utility Designs and Details. Notated scaled changes as needed.
• Project Manage Multi-Disciplines of internal support departments during Engineering and Construction lifecycle, including Fielding, Utility Research, Engineering designs, Drafting, JPA process, Permitting process, Material Orders, Construction oversite
• Utilize Project Timelines, Flowcharts, Spreadsheets, Databases, PowerPoint Presentations, images, maps and other tools as needed
• Conduct Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Safety and Quality reviews and prepared summary management reports
• Day-to-day personnel management and assignments included training on customer design requirements and systems, career path counseling, disciplinary recommendations, and appraisals. Maintained offsite library of SCE Engineering-Construction-Drafting Standards, Safety and Cyber Security procedures
• Designated SCE POLAR SuperUser for our company (Edison Design and Budget Tracking System)
SCE, California Science Center, Verizon, and Chevron all required background checks and Security clearances to access their internal systems and libraries through remote access, and included Online Cyber Security and Safety certification.
1981-2005 Worked for Previous Companies within the Telecom IT Industry ARCOM Consulting (Self-Employed)
Williams Communications (Nortel acquisition)
Nortel Communications (PacTel acquisition)
PacTel Companies (various mergers and acquisitions: Connections, Communications, Info Systems, and Meridian Systems) Pacific Bell
Project Manager – Manager - Sales Consultant/Engineer
Interests & Organizations
Commissioner-Public Services, City of Duarte CA, 16 years, 1999-2015 Life Insurance Agent, California, 28 years, 1989-2019 Securities Representative, NASD/FINRA, 23 years, 1992-2015 Certified NASCAR Driver, since 2009
Former BICSI RCCD, 7 years, 1989-1992
High School Diploma
National University (Completed courses, no degree) University of Santa Barbara (Fiber Optics course)
California State Insurance Continuing Education – Bi-Annual I have attended numerous Project Management, Engineering, Sales, Contract, technical, and Managerial classes. My achievements come through self-perseverance, hard work, integrity, risk taking, self-motivation, being coachable, keeping promises, and the desire to win.
Since I started my career in Communications right out of high school, my education beyond high school graduation has been primarily corporate sponsored training and developmental courses to strengthen my skills. Due to my corporate appointed and self-directed continuing education and successful past project completions, I have always been entrusted with some of my companies largest and most high profile projects and have been allowed to work independently, successfully telecommuting and servicing customers face-to-face for most of my career.
I am confident that my record of accomplishments speaks beyond the value of a basic college degree at this point, as I have learned through actual hands-on practical experience. Many of my strengths can be assimilated and shared. I believe my lifetime of entrusted assignments combined with years of corporate training and experience are equivalent to a Bachelor of Science Degree in Telecommunications.
I respectfully ask that you weigh my experiences and accomplishments as relevant to your work requirements.
Software and Tools
I have used the following software programs as part of my daily tools:
• MS Office Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, Access
• Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, including images, drawing, presentation, and annotating
• Google Earth, Google Maps, Google Chrome, Gmail
• MS Explorer, Firefox, and Windows Operating Systems
• AutoCAD reviewing and annotating (not proficient with drawing)
• Public Jurisdictions and Private Construction Plans containing Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, Substructure, and Utility Designs and Details
• SCE POLAR Design System
• SCE Portal for accessing standards, libraries, manuals, Engineering newsletters and bulletins