Authorized to work in the US for any employer
Administrative Director of Revenue Cycle (Interim)
Core Revenue Cycle Consulting - Fort Lauderdale, FL
July 2017 to September 2018
Worked new processes to improve Revenue Cycle, Patient Financial Services, Patient Access, CDM,
Managed Care Contracting and Revenue Integrity.
Worked with Case Management to reduce length of stay from 6.1 to 3.5 days.
Reduced issues with observation status to maintain a 24 hour decision process.
Decreased and maintained AR days under 40 days.
Renegotiated Managed Care contracts to increase cash flow increase.
Handled build for Revenue Cycle with Meditech 6.1 implementation.
Oversaw and completed budget for Revenue Cycle.
Billing Manager/Epic Conversion Specialist
BE Smith Interim Epic HB - Lenexa, KS
October 2016 to March 2017
• Handle the Epic build for South Georgia Medical Center for both HB and PB side. • Worked with older system to create a better workflow within EPIC. • Also responsible for the day to day operations for Billing and Collections to keep cash steady.
Interim Director of Revenue Cycle
Paladin Healthcare - El Segundo, CA
December 2015 to October 2016
for 4 Hospital System and 1 University Acute Hospital • Turned around Howard University from a negative 40M to a positive 4.5M in less than 6 months. • Redesigned flow and broke down silos which in return created a 30 day drop in A/R Days • Work with UR and Case Management to reduce patient stays from 5.1 plus days to 3.9 days and below preventing end of stay denials • Report to Corporate CFO, and with Facility CEO and COO. • Oversees HIM, Patient Accounting, Denials, Admitting and Registration. • Handled system upgrades and increased clean claim rate from 58 percent to 84 percent to increase cash flow. • Quarterly meetings with Insurance companies to discuss accounts being denied or not paid to correct on hospital side. • Provide leadership and answers that are needed to have the Revenue Cycle flow efficient. • Redesigned the flow of the Emergency Department to reduce wait times and increase proficiency and ambulance runs to the ED.
Corporate Senior Vice President
Promise and Success Healthcare - Boca Raton, FL
July 2013 to February 2015
for 20 LTAC's and 2 Acute Care Hospitals • Worked with the CEO's and Corporate CFO, COO for 22 hospitals throughout the US. • Met monthly cash goals on a consistence basis. • Worked with HIM for certain hospitals to make sure coding was accurate and reflecting correctly in billing. • Increased CMI through Physician documentation. • Oversaw the contract negotiations with a successful rate increase for all hospitals with all insurances. • Worked with the CBO in setting goals and worked with them on collection tactics to increase cash flow. • Set up the government requirements for 2 new facilities in Florida • Worked on on-boarding 6 new facilities that Promise purchased and worked with leadership at the facilities to familiarize them with Promise protocols.
Downey Regional Medical Center - Downey, CA
April 2011 to June 2013
• Recruited to assist in the process to improve Revenue Cycle, Patient Financial Services, Patient Access, CDM, Contracting and Revenue Integrity and increase cash flow for the hospital to emerge from Bankruptcy. (accomplished 3/2012) • Redesigned and designed policy and procedures, correcting hospital flow issues, setting priorities, increasing collections and up-front collections, updating contracts and increasing rates and motivating staff. • Responsible for day to day operations and patient flow through the hospital system/departments. • Renegotiated Managed Care Contracts and added new Contracts to insure Downey from having any financial issues in the future. • Work with Management to verify that all collectors are working toward prompt resolution with accounts. • Brought back in-house on March 4, 2013 Billing, Collections, Payment Posting and EOB reconciliation successfully in three weeks. • Clean claim rate for billing was increased from prior business office being at 55 percent to 75 percent in 1 month to increase cash flow. • Implemented Passport system in Admissions to assist in monitoring the staff on errors and to assist on verification of insurance plans. Correct information also decreases AR days. • Implemented Passport scheduling throughout the hospital to increase referrals for all departments. Passport scheduling gives access to physicians to schedule into the system through their office on open slots within their time frames. • Started with 45 employees and currently have 91 staff members under my division. • Chairperson for the Revenue Cycle Meeting, Managed Care Meeting, Redesign of Emergency Department, and CDM Update Meetings.
Chief Financial Officer / Revenue Cycle Director
Memorial Hermann Surgical Hospital - Kingwood, TX
August 2009 to August 2010
• Responsible for overall performance for the Account Receivable, HIM Department, Financials, Admitting and Verification Departments. • Handled the Hospital Cost Report and set it up for Accounting firm to review. • Handle all data entry for all Insurances, CPT and ICD9 codes and price changes. • Set monthly goals and action plans to achieve goal with staff. • Responsibilities include ensuring system-wide compliance with financial and accounting policies. • Developing and executing financial strategies, systems and processes to help optimize current and future performance; helping align limited capital resources with strategic initiatives; and implementing expense control methods. • Report to both United Surgical Partners International and Memorial Hermann monthly outcomes. • Worked on Physician recruitment and Physician Stabilization.
Mt. San Rafael Hospital and Clinic, Consultant/CEO
Consulting Momcelveic Law and Healthcare Consultants - Las Vegas, NV
November 2004 to July 2009
• Responsible for meeting with executive team and doing an assessment on their departments. • Re-engineered their business and business plan to focus on productivity and increased revenue. • Decreased denials due to incorrect billings/incorrect payments. • Redesigned Hospitals and created a Director of Revenue Cycle position for a Critical Access Hospital. • Have set up for physicians committees within their organization such as Executive, Operations, Research, IT, Governance, and Compliance. Ohio Hospital for Psychiatry, BCA: Consultant / CEO • OHP operates freestanding inpatient psychiatric hospitals, residential treatment centers, and psychiatric specialty units within medical-surgical hospitals, outpatient diagnostic and treatment clinics, and home based programs. • Responsible for day-to-day business operations for the 2 outpatient Clinics and 1 Hospital. • Forecasting of expected revenue on a weekly basis. • Redesign and implement new policy and procedures to increase productivity and decrease loss revenue. • Worked with Business office staff to increase cash collections and decrease bad debt. • In charge of master files set in HMS system. • Handled Physician, Director and Business issues. • Report to Board of Directors on issues, corrections and accomplishments. • Assisted in hiring, physicians, implementation of HMS system for start-up of a new facility in Dover, OH. St Joseph's, Healthcare System, Consultant / Site Executive and Director of PFS • Responsible for overseeing the revenue cycle for St. Joseph's Health System which included the Medical Center, the Children's Hospital, St. Joseph's Wayne Hospital, Long Term Care Facility and 21 Clinics • Work with all clinical departments on improving productivity, process and procedures. • Assisted in implementation of an ABN system to help reduce medical necessity denials. • Chairperson of the Revenue Cycle Directors Meeting, Denial Management, and Development of new services. • Responsible for forecasting incoming revenue on a weekly and monthly basis after billing was completed. • Liaison between Siemens Medical and St. Joseph's Health System.
Interim CFO and Patient Accounting Director
Wadsworth-Rittman Hospital - Wadsworth, OH
May 2003 to November 2004
• Responsible for Hospital, Physician, EMS, Contract, and Inpatient Rehabilitation billing, Follow-up, Collections, Admitting, Registration, Pre-cert, Scheduling, Insurance Verification, Cashiers and Emergency Registration. • Reduced A/R days to below 50 days and increased cash collections by redesigning the business office. • Re-wrote and created Policy and Procedures to improve productivity up front and on the back end. • Chair the Chargemaster, Revenue Cycle, Denial Management, and Admitting/Registration Task force. • Renegotiated collection agencies contracts, reducing fees by 4% and saving the hospital thousands of dollars a year. • Assisted CEO with CFO functions for 7 months during the absence of a CFO.
Asst. Director of Patient Financial Services / Admitting Director
Cleveland Clinic Hospital - Fort Lauderdale, FL
April 2000 to May 2003
• The Cleveland Clinic organization is a not-for-profit, multi-specialty group practice dedicated to providing outstanding medical care. Continuing the world-renowned tradition of The Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland Clinic Florida physicians excel in the diagnosis and treatment of medical problems that are complex or difficult to treat. • Handled day-to-day operations and front-end collections for a multi-facility organization. • Responsible for Central Authorization, Cashiering, Hospital, Physician and Clinical billing, and Admitting. • Did a startup for the new Cleveland Clinic Naples facility. Hired staff, handled computer set up for the front end and back end, designed layout of departments, brought over Policy and Procedures and corrected as needed to fit Naples Hospital. Designed the Emergency Department Cashiers office to have the access to let patients out so all patients were captured before leaving. • Responsible for financial clearance on transplant patients. • Handled Administration inquiries from patients and families on all issues. • Worked as a consultant in Cleveland for 6 months handling all Government Reports. May 1995 - April 2000: Consulting
Landau Group/Mercy Medical Center
August 1998 to April 2000
Ohio (August 1998 - April 2000) • Health System and University Hospitals Health System, operates a 476-bed hospital serves Stark, Carroll, Wayne, Holmes and Tuscarawas Counties and parts of Southeastern Ohio. • Analyze and implement positive improvements to the Admitting and Emergency Room registration process. • Write executive productivity reports to the CFO and CEO for presentation to the Board of Directors. • Established Financial Counselors to handle and assist self-pay patients. • Implemented all front-end collections at different points of entry. • Designed a self-pay incentive plan.
Advantage Claims Management
May 1995 to August 1998
• Physician Practice Administrators for multiple locations. • Responsible for A/R reduction and increased cash flow. • Selected and set up electronic billing system. • Handled all business functions, including the Budget, Human Resources and Billing for all 3 locations. • Handled all negotiation for Managed Care contracts.
Business Office Supervisor / Audit Coordinator
Bacharach Institute for Rehabilitation - Pomona, NJ
May 1985 to May 1995
• An 84-bed rehabilitation facility in southeastern New Jersey is a leader in state-of-the-art physical therapy and rehabilitation care. • Supervised Inpatient, Outpatient and Physician Billers. • Instituted a systematic and fully integrated credit and collection process.
B.A. in Liberal Arts
Richard Stockton University - Pomona, NJ