A dynamic and energetic change agent with extensive hands-on, practical experience in lean principles for industries including Manufacturing, Customer Service, Logistics, Warehouse & Distribution. As an involved, ‘roll up your sleeves’ results oriented bi-lingual professional, I provide leadership through accountability, empowerment, allowing failure to occur & team building.
- Lean Manufacturing - Six Sigma - Warehouse & Distribution
- 5S / Kaizen - Project Management - Logistics Load Planning / Scheduling
- Toyota Prod. System - Software Implementation - 3PL / Fleet Management
- Strategic Planning - Supply Chain Management - ISO 9000 / QS 9004
• Implemented Proof of Delivery process for 3PL providing approximately $130k/ yr. at Meridian Brick.
• Implemented tracking system to improve Last Mile delivery efficiencies, which included reduction of delay times, and altering deliveries to address jobsite delays.
• Led a cross-functional team in the assessment and implementation of an Enterprise Asset Management System for Zachry Construction Corp. resulting in $268k annual savings.
• 36% headcount reduction (over $100k) through lean initiatives at Cordis Johnson & Johnson.
• Successfully managed product transfers from Florida to Mexico saving company $1.2MM /yr. while managing multiple product lines at both sites at Cordis Johnson & Johnson.
• Successfully managed a manufacturing & warehouse distribution relocation project at ATC which reduced operating floor space by 55%, WIP levels by 85%, elimination of waste, productivity increase of 66%, flexible processes, and institutionalized visual factory/5S techniques of work place organization
• Facilitated a strategic planning process with cross-functional Sr. Leadership team at ATC, which improved communication, accountability and set vision and direction for all levels of the facility.
West Region Operations Manager 2013 – 2018
Meridian Brick (Building Materials & Brick Mfg. Co.) Houston, TX
• Provided leadership and oversight to 45 employees throughout TX, OK & ARK that consisted of 7 Sales Managers, 20 Salespeople, 15 Customer Service Representatives and 3 Logistics Load Planners and 5 warehouse and distribution centers.
• Prepared financial, operational, and business related analysis for region producing 97MM in Sales Revenue
• Managed Inbound & Outbound (Last Mile) Logistics Budget of 58.2 MM by directing 3 dispatchers to plan 100 loads per day for 50 drivers across TX, OK & AR.
• Led ‘Zero Harm Today’ Safety initiatives for the region, including managing OSHA logs
• Led efforts in fuel cost improvements across region for 50 delivery trucks providing $80k in yearly savings.
• Improved Route Planning process for regional dispatching team by learning the process and applying newly created tools to improve quality of life for dispatchers.
• Identified and executed multiple continuous improvement projects across 7 warehouses & distributions centers across TX, OK & AR thru Gemba walks.
• Instrumental in defining business requirement for RFQ for TMS software implementation.
• Worked closely w/ our current 3PL company to assist them w/ daily last mile driver issues including improved training program, new tool box topics, developed new KPI’s and other improvement initiatives which not only addressed driver efficiencies but also driver ‘care’.
Regional Operations Manager 2011 – 2013
Omni Quality Assurance LLC (Quality Inspection & Containment Services) San Antonio, TX
• Responsible for the start-up of a new Quality System business in Texas.
• Managed 1.2MM in revenue for 44 direct and indirect employees.
• Assisting ownership team in establishing policy & procedures for newly developed programs.
• Provide Quality Services to Toyota OEM Suppliers including sorting, inspection, containment & quality gates.
Equipment Controls Manager / Strategic Operations Mgr. 2007 – 2011
Zachry Construction Corp (Construction, Aggregate & Cement Co) San Antonio, TX.
• Led a cross functional team in creating business case, RFP & business requirements for company’s first ever Fleet Software Management System resulting in over $268k in yearly savings; fleet size is over 1,000 equipment valued at over $60MM. System included over ten software interfaces which included financial software & GPS Tracking Application.
• Implemented Asset Management Software (Transman) for seven quarries, which included developing a PM program for Mobile and Fixed Equipment, a Maintenance Planning Program and Improved Financial reporting.
• Appointed by David Zachry (Owner) to lead RFQ of Asset Management assessment and the implementation of software to manage Preventive Maintenance for all his construction equipment.
• Developed downtime reporting tools such as downtime failure codes for paretto analysis.
• Assisted Director with the development of strategic scorecard and the implementation thru the identification of lagging and leading indicators.
Plant Manager 2005 – 2007
Hanson ($3.9 B Global manufacturer of aggregate and concrete products) San Antonio, TX
• Provided leadership to three concrete brick manufacturing facilities with 5 direct reports and 62 employees.
• Managed a $15.8MM budget for $27.7MM worth of revenue.
• Established a benchmark facility for South Central Region thru establishing programs such as Sales and Operations Planning Meeting, Visual Factory, Data Collection, Metric Review and Employee Empowerment.
• Trained leaders in at all levels of the organization in world-class tools, i.e. Kaizen, Lean Mfg. and 5’s during the early stages of company’s roll-out.
• Through Lean and 6sigma tools, provided $200k savings in labor reduction, $140k in material savings, $60k in expense spending for 2007 budget.
• Facilitated breakout sessions & provided best practice presentations for North America Operations Conference.
Business Unit Manager 2000 – 2004
Cordis Corp – Division of Johnson & Johnson (Mfg. of medical devices) Cd Juarez, MX & Miami FL
• Direct report included 2 Operations Manager, 2 Planners, 10 Engineers, 7 Supervisors & 500 employees.
• Increased responsibilities during the 4 yrs; managed Diagnostic catheter business (class II device) to balloons (class III) to self-expanding stents (class III implantable).
• Successfully developed and managed a $6.4M expense budget for a $211M business unit.
• Identified and assigned two green belt projects with over $600k savings.
• Through the elimination of waste, a 33% headcount reduction was realized ($91k).
• Assigned to Co-manage a Special Transfer Team that required setting up an entire new supply chain, from Mfg., to Distribution due to an EU litigation. The incredible feat was successfully done in less than 8 wks.
• Process Champion sponsor for $700k bottom-line savings in Green & Black Belt Six Sigma projects.
Plant Manager 1995 – 2000
Aftermarket Technology Corp (ATC) (OEM Drivetrain Parts & Remanufactured Transmissions) Mexicali, MEX
• Developed a staff of 5 direct reports and 350 production employees while managing 4.4MM expense budget.
• Responsible for changing batch operations to a world class-manufacturing center using tools such as: Visual Factory/5S, Lean/Cellular manufacturing, 1 pc. Flow and staff reorganization. Engineering the transition from traditional manufacturing to lean/cellular manufacturing. Reduced operating floor space by 55%, WIP levels by 85%, elimination of waste, productivity increase of 66%, flexible processes, and institutionalized visual factory/5S techniques of work place organization.
• Implemented scrap reduction program that grossed savings of $350k in one yr.
• Delivered solid productivity improvements by 66% through lean and elimination of waste practices.
• Developed Warranty program which led to the re-engineering of our product line; reducing warranty claims from 10%-2%.
• Developed performance metrics for Facility, Operation, Quality & Mfg. Engineering Dept.
• Established policies and procedures according to QS9000 standards as an OEM supplier.
B.S. Industrial Engineering, University of Texas at El Paso, 1996
Green Belt, DMAIC, QFD, FMEA, Lean / Cellular Manufacturing/1 pc. Flow, 7 Step problem solving/8D problem solving, Visual Factory/5S’s KANBAN, Poka-yoke, SMED, Ergonomics, ISO/QS-9000 documentation, ISO Certified Auditor, Identifying Business Cost Drivers, FDA Regulations & GMP, Process Excellence Lean Green Belt Training, Team Building, Six Sigma
- Born in the US and holder of US Passport.