John Patrick Carroll
Senior Software Developer
Experienced, diligent engineer with a proven reputation for delivering timely solutions. Excels at learning technology quickly and integrating various applications and systems. Works with high integrity to ensure client success and satisfaction and provides mentoring and knowledge transfer to newer / more junior team members. Areas of Expertise
• Core Java development
• Eclipse RCP
• Unix shell scripts
• HTML and CSS
• Sterling B2B Integrator
• Sterling File Gateway
• Sterling Connect Direct
Professional Work Experience
06/15 – Present Tangoe Inc, Dallas, Texas
Senior Product Engineer
• Continued development and support of invoice reader components to process invoices for the Tangoe Rivermine Telecom Expense Management Application. Invoice readers are java modules used to parse and process source invoice files in various formats including EDI, XLS and CSV.
• Provided ongoing support for the Sterling B2BI Integrator and File Gateway system and assist in transitioning clients and processes over to the internal Tangoe managed file transfer solution. 02/06 – 06/15 IBM Corporation, Dallas, Texas
Advisory Software Engineer
• Developed and supported invoice reader components to process invoices for the IBM Emptoris Rivermine Telecom Expense Management Application.
• Installed and administered Sterling B2B Integrator and File Gateway including custom business process scripts.
• Developed MIB Manager, a utility for converting SNMP MIB files into Netcool rules files.
• Continued support of Netcool IDE and Netcool MIB Database.
• Ported Netcool IDE from Java Swing to the IBM Eclipse Rich Client Platform. The Netcool IDE is a java-written UI based tool which presents the user with a development environment for reading in and editing rules files and performing syntax checks based on the language rules. It takes advantage of RCP built in functions such as automatic updates, context-sensitive help, auto-suggest and a clean, native looking interface.
• Developed ContentMover tool. This is an IBM Eclipse Rich Client Platform based application for moving Netcool Proviso content from one Oracle database location to another Oracle database location.
• Transition of Micromuse web applications into the IBM domain.
• Developed anomalous event detection rules files for the Netcool/Omnibus product. 03/97 – 02/06 Micromuse Inc., London, United Kingdom and Dallas, Texas Senior Software Engineer
• Developed lightweight components in ‘C’ that plug into core Netcool fault management product architecture. These components attach to an event source such as a file or network socket and parse and process the received input and for use the framework api to turn the input into network events.
• Wrote components to interface with third-party software/equipment such as Telecommunication switches (Newbridge, NET and Ericsson) and other network management software.
• Developed company’s first CORBA based product. This product was developed in C++ and would utilise a 3rd-party CORBA api to receive data and turn the data into network events manageable by the Netcool fault management platform.
• Considerable Java development in research and development group that led to new Netcool products.
• Demonstrated Netcool products to sales force, trade shows and potential customers.
• Developed custom Java web server for product configuration and graphical report generation.
• Prototyped new products using variety of tools and programming languages including Apache Cocoon, Apache Web Server, PHP for dynamic HTML generation and Java Servlets.
• Installed Netcool products at customer sites and provided consultancy to existing and potential customers.
• Presented training courses to educate partners and employees on the products I developed.
• Created the Netcool IDE. This is a java application used to develop and test rules files for the core Netcool platform.
• Created the Netcool MIB Database. This is a web based application for accessing one of the largest MIB repositories on the internet for use by Micromuse customers, partners and employees. 9/95 - 03/97 Lucent Technologies, Malmesbury, United Kingdom Software Engineer
• Added extra functionality to 5ESS telephone switch. Developed C Code for 5ESS telephone switch based on ISDN and SS7 telephony.
• Developed gateway for El Salvador customer for inter-switch communication.
• Worked on major project for Brazil customer that allowed their customers to make DDC telephone calls. (DDC call is a telephone call that involves an extra digit dialed to set up reverse charges).
• Provided over six months support for existing customers which involved bug-fixing existing bugs in the 5ESS code base.
• Extensive training in all areas of modern telephony especially ISDN and SS7.
• Testing of code in labs using actual 5ESS switch and telephone calls through switch to validate new functionality.
• Worked on research project that looked at the application of neural networks to find potential bugs in 5ESS code and other applications.
Training and Education
• Agile Software Development
• IBM Websphere Administration
• IBM DB2 Administration
• Perl Programming
• Java Architecture Training
• Java Certified Programmer for Java 1.4 (98% in exam)
• Java Certified Developer for Java 1.4 (94% in exam)
• Advanced C Training
• Sybase Administration Training
• Netcool Omnibus Systems Admin 1 & 2 Training
• 5ESS (Telco) Training
• Bachelor of Science in Physics and Astronomy, University College London
• Masters in Computer Science, University College London