Miami, FL 33125
Investment analyst with six years of experience generating long and short recommendations for inclusion in global equity strategies. Conducted deep fundamental research focused on identifying quality growth businesses with long- term competitive advantages and asymmetric return profiles that offer a margin of safety. Reputation for being intellectually curious, thoughtful, team-oriented, good-natured, integral and hard working. WORK EXPERIENCE
RWC Asset Advisors (US) LLC
Apr 2015 – Jul 2018
• Generate alpha through the top-down sector and equity market rotation and bottom-up security level selection for inclusion in global emerging and frontier long-only and long/short investment strategies. Run an internal paper portfolio
(buy list) with a 2017 return of 22% versus a benchmark return of 2%.
• Conduct fundamental equity research involving analysis of macroeconomic environment, industry and total addressable markets as well as company management and financials in order to determine business and company quality and expected economic upside potential. Employ various valuation models and conduct scenario and sensitivity analysis in order to determine an intrinsic value for an equity in order to make investment recommendations to Portfolio Managers.
• Analyze comprehensively 85 companies from a universe of 260 stocks in the MENA region that meet industry, company, management quality hurdles, including ESG concerns.
• Supported portfolio construction, optimizing the portfolio for commodity and market risks. Tracked correlations among positions, local and global indices, and major commodities to understand the potential impact of positive and negative market movements on our positions and funds.
• Monitor portfolio characteristics including country, sector and security specific allocations to help illustrate and better understand current portfolio strategy.
• Co-launched several new funds and helped grow AUM from $400 million to $3.5 billion by identifying attractive investment ideas that consistently outperformed our benchmark and by regularly identifying and communicating high conviction ideas to the portfolio managers.
• Marketed strategies to investors, highlighting our investment philosophy, process, and achievements. Also helped draft marketing materials.
Aug 2011 – Apr 2015
• Co-launched and grew the firm’s frontier markets strategies from $20 million to nearly $1.1 billion by supporting portfolio management, researching investment opportunities in the MENA region and by preparing marketing materials and performance data.
• Recommended allocating a risk limit maximum of 20% of the portfolio to the Saudi Arabian market, which was a relatively undiscovered frontier market with minimal international participation, but offered great liquidity and alpha- generating opportunities.
o Saudi was held from early 2012 until late 2014
o Given the Saudi growth prospective at that time, the market was trading at unwarranted discount to the regional and emerging market peers
o The major focus was on fundamentals (Topline growth, healthy margins, strong balance sheet, cash generation, ROIC) and relevant equity valuation methods (DCF, Dividend Discount, Asset-based valuation)
o Positions were held until either reach our target price and/or changes in investment thesis
Purchased a healthcare investment in Saudi Arabia that generated a total return of 174% (vs. benchmark return of 29%) over a 2.5-year period
Invested in Saudi Arabia’s largest apparel retailer and produced a total return of 203% (vs. benchmark return of 31%) over a 2-year period
Blumberg Capital Partners
Jan 2011 – Aug 2011
• Prepared pitch books and conducted profitability analysis of potential deals and investments in Pakistan and Oman. Frank Reynolds & Co.
May 2010 – Aug 2010
• Completed professional investment and financial planning forms for over 25 new clients and attended client meetings to facilitate drafting of an investment/financial plan that best met the clients’ needs and requirements. EDUCATION
Johns Hopkins University
Masters of Science in Applied Economics
• Relevant coursework: International Finance, Financial Economics, Economics of Investments & Derivatives Stetson University
Masters of Business Administration
• Cumulative GPA: 4.0/4.0
• Relevant coursework: Advanced Accounting, Applied Research in Equities & Fixed Income, Financial Management Becker College
Bachelors of Business Administration (Management)
• Cumulative GPA: 3.7/4.0
LEADERSHIP & EXTRA-CURRICULAR EXPERIENCE
Roland George Program (Stetson University)
Student Portfolio Manager
Aug 2009 – May 2010
• Recommended and purchased Apple stock (within a student managed portfolio of $3 mn) by conducting DCF and identifying that the forecasted stock value, at that time, exceeded market price by 30%.
• Recommended owning the bonds of a healthcare REIT on the basis of healthcare reforms that were indicative of a bullish outlook for the bonds. Although the company had strong balance sheet and very good cash generation, the bond was trading at a discount to its face value and not reflecting the solid fundamentals and low credit risk. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Bloomberg Terminal, Capital IQ, MS Office (Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Word), E-views & R basics, SQL basics
Arabic (native), English (fluent)
Pioneering Portfolio Management: An Unconventional Approach to Institutional Investment, Fully Revised and Updated By David Swensen