Bret S. Woolley, MBA
Newbury Park, CA 91320 http://www.linkedin.com/in/bretwoolley Cell: 805-***-**** Finance / Senior Operations Executive delivering consistent and measurable increased shareholder value and international market leadership through business, financial and market development processes and strategies. Decisive leadership at the Board and senior executive level through root cause problem solving, team development and communication that leads to growth and profitability of public and private companies. Expertise in restructuring undervalued businesses, and raising capital in manufacturing and service industries. Finely honed communication skills built on unwavering accuracy, credibility, and integrity. Seeking to drive growth of high enterprise on “C-level”
(CEO, COO, CFO) through world-class financial operational leadership. Delivering Results to the Bottom Line for
Fortune 500 / Start-Ups / Underperforming Companies
• Build start-up businesses from ground-up (most recently, $7M in annual revenues and 70 employees in two years).
• Streamlined financial strategic planning processes reducing resource requirements by 90% ($250k/year).
• Restructured cost pools, reduced bid & proposal wrap rates by 20%. Cost savings of over $15M/year.
• Reduced outstanding AR >180 days by 60% within a 3-month period, negotiating collections of over $5M.
• Restructured corporate strategic plan, budgets, accounting controls tripling revenues over a 3-year period.
• Streamlined internal processes reducing overhead by $4M per year.
• Streamline Billing & Collection Agreements, increasing revenues by $88M annually.
• In-depth knowledge and experience in project and process management.
• Strong verbal, presentation and written communication skills.
• Excellent problem-solving skills, with a demonstrated ability to identify issues, solve them quickly.
• Strong conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
• Professional demeanor, ability to interact with and lead diverse teams.
• Superb organizational skills to be able to coordinate complicated projects.
• Exceptional team building and team management skills. Driving Organizational and Financial Excellence
• Strategic, Financial & Operational Management
o P&L/Balance Sheet Management
o Financial Modeling, Valuations & Break-Even
o Earned Value Management (EVM)
o Cost Control/Overhead Reductions
• Balanced and Insightful Leadership
o Cash Flow Management
o Diplomatic People Skills/Customer Focus
• Contract and Security Management
o DCAA (CPFF, FFP, T&M), Seaporte/GSA/IDIQ
o Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR/DFAR)
• Quality & Process Management (TQM, BPR, ISO)
o Achieved millions in process/cost savings
o Improved through-put
o Reduction in defects/errors
• Security Clearance: Secret (SSBI) & Top Secret
Building Corporate Performance and Industry Leadership COO/CFO, American Verde Technologies, Van Nuys, CA (Green Tech & Eng) Aug 17 – Present
• Establish key metrics and key performance indicators that drive operational performance.
• Work with senior management team on trade-off decisions on cost-quality-timeliness on critical deliverables.
• In-depth knowledge of operational control processes. Small business process/procedure development.
• Track record of driving revenue and EBITDA growth, margin expansion, and operational effectiveness.
• Proven ability to leverage technology and systems to drive operational improvements and profitability. SR. TECHNICAL SPECIALIST, AdvantEdge Technology, Inc., Port Hueneme, CA (Eng & Logis) Dec 14 – Jul 17 As the Deputy to the Commander and Department Officer, provide program/project management supporting the operations of the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Port Hueneme Division (NSWC PHD), Navy Sponsors, and the Naval Fleet by providing quality processes, financial management, logistics, and technical expertise to improve Fleet readiness, and modernize the delivery, quality and cost of our services. Achievements:
o Provide operational reviews, management oversight, track QA action items, and database maintenance. o Contributions increased command’s quarterly assessment review from 3.5 (“satisfactory”) to 4.3 (“good”). 2
• Interfacing and coordinating with executive management team.
• Provide management support for Policy/Guidance development efforts and maintain development processes
• Create, produce, edit video presentations of U.S. Naval Fleet Test and Evaluation (T&E) events.
• Workforce Development: Directly support a bottom-up and top-down approach to workforce and management development. Lead monthly briefings on topics (sample list below) aimed at enhancing communication and preparing the command with succession planning (identifying and developing new leaders who can replace existing leaders upon their departure or retirement):
o Managerial Communications
o Above the Line: Interpersonal Behaviors
o Financial Stewardship
o Leadership vs Management
o Mentoring and Career “Do Overs” & Transitions
o Organizational Integrity
o High Velocity Learning
o Good-to-Great (Flywheel Concept)
COO, Vaughn Management & Services, Camarillo, CA (Engineering & Logistics) May 11 – Oct 14 Organizational Challenge: Start-up company had burned-up all of its cash reserves and had no prospects for business. Solution/Result: Led finance, administration, operations, contracts, security and business development of this underperforming start-up company to a profitable venture within one year. Achievements:
o Revenue growth from $0 to over $7M within a two-year period. o Personnel growth from 1 to over 70 employees within two years. o Increased annual profitability from $300k loss to $500k profit (267% growth in profit over two years). o Established strong relationships with the Navy and government customers, and developed a strong reputation, instilling a confidence in the company’s capabilities and the capability to support government operations. o Establish/improve policies & processes to achieve key operational metrics. o Established project planning structure and proposal estimating templates used in project bidding process.
• Program strategy, capitalizing on operational assets (people, performance, processes, infrastructure).
• Manage contracts (Seaport-e, IDIQ, GSA, CPFF, T&M, FFP), subcontract agreements, performance reporting.
• Analyze and evaluate business proposals, negotiate subcontract provisions including price and terms.
• Ensure appropriate DCAA statutory and financial accounting/auditing requirements compliance.
• Conduct accounting & month-end processes, prep financial reports, P&L review, and percent completion reports.
• Identify new business opportunities, teaming arrangement/agreements, proposal/business development.
• Entrepreneur with the ability to establish relationships with customers and team members.
• Attend conferences, analyze and evaluate proposals, negotiate subcontract provisions including price and terms, evaluate/recommend subcontractors, and administer resulting subcontracts, Delivery orders/PO's.
• Understanding of cash flow, and financial ratios (NPV, IRR, ROI, Debt Coverage, etc.) COO/CFO, Onsite Power Systems, Inc., Fresno, CA (Alternative/Renewable Energy) Oct 05 – Apr 11 Organizational Challenge: Start-up venture without business plan, proforma or due diligence package required for equity investors and therefore had no prospects for business or investments. Solution/Result: Develop both short term and long-range plans and budgets to raise equity investment and achieve the company’s goals and strategies. Achievements:
o Create corporate website and YouTube videos.
o Developed strategic management and business plan, 5-year proforma and due diligence package. o Secured over $2M in equity investment.
• Results-oriented with strong operational, analytical, strategic planning, problem solving and cost control skills.
• Operational, financial, and management experience in renewable energy. Experience working with electrical, mechanical, chemical engineers, as well as design/build, construction and installation.
• Develop project financing strategy, pricing, key budgets and cost parameters for prospective customers.
• Program strategy, capitalizing on operational assets (people, performance, processes, infrastructure).
• Experience with distributed generation (solar, fuel cell) deployments, and interconnections with utilities.
• Organizational development, personnel management, budget/resource development, strategic planning, operational and program management.
V.P., FINANCE & OPERATIONS, Kratos Defense & Security Solutions, Oxnard/San Diego, CA Mar 09 – Dec 10 V.P., FINANCE & PROGRAM MGMT, SYS Technologies, Oxnard, CA (DoD & Homeland Security) Apr 00 – Mar 09 SR. PROGRAM MANAGER, SYS Technologies, Oxnard, CA (DoD & Homeland Security) Aug 99 – Apr 00 Responsible for financial and program management across the enterprise with direct responsibilities for program management, contract management, and financial reporting, cost control, corporate reporting, forecasting, financial 3
planning and analysis, capital equipment, treasury and asset management, strategic plans, competitive analysis, valuation models, negotiations and operational integration of newly acquired companies. Achievements:
o Streamlined financial strategic planning processes reducing resource requirements by 90% ($250k/year). o Restructured cost pools, reduced bid & proposal wrap rates by 20%. Cost savings of over $15M/year. o Reduced outstanding AR >180 days by 60% within a 3-month period, negotiating collections of over $5M. o Restructured corporate strategic plan, developing budgets, job costing, accounting controls and project planning guidelines, tripling division revenues over a 3-year period. o Streamlined internal processes reducing overhead by $4M per year. o Developed Portfolio Management & Investment Model for target investing NSWC (more than $50M annually). Accounting & Financial Management:
• Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of Division, including personnel management and interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• Develop Annual Operating Plan (AOP) & Rolling Four Quarter Forecast for multi-site/multi-business management: o Develop and implement annual and strategic financial plans and monthly operational reviews. o Analysis of business performance, actual vs. plan, revenue recognition, profitability analysis and cash flow. o Develop/prepare/monitor forecasts & budgets, financial reporting consolidations, balance sheets, cash flows, P&L, and “key” financial performance indicators (EBITDA, Indirect Rates Variances, AR, AP, Unbilled). o Provide financial controls/management information to ensure divisions meet/exceed business & financial targets. o Responsible for preparing, presenting and reporting consolidated financial results to Corporate. o Responsible for financial forecasting, accounting/GAAP reporting, and program finance. o Data Modeling: Develop financial and program management data models to analyze budgets, plan-to-actual performance, cost/benefit, break-even analysis, ROI, as well as actual-target-provisional billing rates. o Manage & forecast indirect cost and rate structures through close monitoring all cost pools. Communicate financial information, pricing, rates, and cost avoidance opportunities to business leaders. o Conduct economic analysis, return on investment evaluations, benchmark best practices. o Ensure pertinent finance communication process between the divisions and HQ including reporting of estimates, monthly results, budgets, rolling forecasts.
• Earned Value Management Systems (EVMS): Monitor program performance (planned, actual, earned values). Manage contract schedules/scope, cost containment & project budgets (eProMT and Cognos 8).
• Conduct accounting & month-end processes. Prep commission, inventory/shipping & percent completion reports.
• Manage cost accounting standards (CAS) components, such as cost estimating, cost accumulation/allocation, asset capitalization/depreciation, unallowables, accounting periods, measurement/tracking contract cost (historical, plan-to- actual), monthly accruals, monitor direct and indirect cost allocations, and rate pools.
• Electronic Document Management System (EDMS & ERP): Manage business intelligence, data integration & administration (Contracts/Projects, resume database, financial performance and ISO registration compliance).
• Merger & Acquisition (M&A) experience assisting in business valuation, management, and systems impact.
• Actively involved in commercial activities and business decision-making processes and play an active role in helping company implementing strategic vision.
• During period of dramatic industry change, developed integrated strategic planning process and balanced scorecard reporting to shift focus from justifying past events to driving desired future outcomes. Contract Management:
• Develop, execute, and maintain subcontract agreement specifications, statements of work, and terms and conditions for the procurement of specialized materials, equipment, and services with key vendors. Develop strategic proposals, RFI, RFP's & RFQ's, LOIs, Teaming Agreements, NDA's and cost and price analyses.
• Monitor subcontract performance to ensure cost, technical, quality and contractual objectives are being met.
• Ensure contractual compliance in accordance with Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR & DFAR).
• Provide contract management (CPFF, T&M, FFP), develop proposals (technical and cost estimates), ensure contract compliance, and deliver within budget. Develop and maintain EACs (Estimate at Completion).
• Work with contracts administration and purchasing to develop and maintain effective subcontract policies and procedures, including the appropriate flow-down of prime contract requirements. Ensures solutions are consistent with organization objectives and goals. Exercises considerable latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignment in coordination with program team.
• Focal point for financial, operational and contractual communications and commitments. Manages contract change process and reduce performance risks.
• Ensure asset management controls are robust and effective and in accord with requirements and for ensuring that working capital strategies are effective to give strong financial control while assisting the Division to meet their financial and commercial goals.
Operations & Program Management:
• Quality/Process Management: ISO9000, TQM, BPR, LEAN/Six Sigma, QualPro, ASQC and Malcolm Baldrige.
• Identify process improvements to workflow model to ensure sustainability & scalability in growing business.
• Mentor program team members on best practices and program management methodologies.
• Utilize enterprise information management (EIS/EDMS) system to manage business intelligence, data integration & administration (contracts, CPARs, resume database, financial performance).
• Enhanced corporate program management initiatives improving program delivery. Developed PM manual.
• Strategically develop proposals to exhibit technical advantages and economic/cost benefits.
• Define project organizational structure and project planning. Negotiate sub-contractor purchase orders.
• Coordinate naval & engineering laboratories availability for NAVSEA Foreign Military Service (FMS) customers. Leadership:
• Ensure effective processes to speedily identify problems arising to enable action/recovery plans, at all times ensuring close and effective two-way communication, maintaining a policy of open disclosure and "no surprises."
• Metric oriented and capable of positively driving productivity, accuracy and efficiency.
• Outgoing personality with high energy and stakeholder influence. Cross-disciplined with particular strength in being involved in all aspects of the group.
• Sales initiative focused, able to impact direction through clear communication of financial pictures as part of the senior executive team.
• Skilled in multi-site/multi-business management.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with ‘hands-on’ style, working closely in a team environment.
• Professional demeanor, charismatic, high energy team leader/player.
• Manage team of 40 senior executive consultants, contract managers and finance/accounting personnel. Technical/Systems: Deltek Costpoint®, Deltek® GCS PremierTM, eProMT, Project Planner, Enterprise Information Management (EIM/EDMS), Cognos 8, Crystal Reports, RIMS/DIFMS, and Timberline Sage Accounting, QuickBooks, MS Excel (*Power-User), MS PowerPoint (*Power-User), MS Access, MS Project, MS Publisher, Web Tools, Adobe Photoshop, FAMIS.
CFO / CONTROLLER, Johnson Brokers, Inc., Simi Valley, CA (Private, $10M, Broker/Finance) Jan 99 – Aug 99 Organizational Challenge: Privately owned brokerage firm was in disarray financially and operationally, not knowing month-to-month how profitable the business was. Solution/Result: Restructured accounting office, streamlined operations in all financial/accounting areas and developed accounting and system controls. Established financial reporting guidelines, processes, and controls (daily cash flow tracking). Enhanced bank relations, cash management, and setup LOCs.
o Streamlined financial/accounting process improvements reduced operational expenses by over $100k annually. o Implemented finance/accounting system (RFMS), medical/dental and 401k retirement plans and employee/corporate policy handbook.
o Within 7 months, a competitor negotiated the purchase of the company, allowing the owner to retire. Technical/Systems: Retail Financial Management and Accounting System (RFMS), ADP Payroll, StockWatch. DIRECTOR, FINANCE, Star Telecommunication, Santa Barbara, CA (NYSE, Telecom) Aug 98 – Jan 99 Organizational Challenge: Star Telecom was a wholesale service provider and needed to expand into the retail/long distance arena in order to increase shareholder value in its stock price. Solution/Result: Brought in as the acquisition team lead, integrating “4” long distance telecommunications companies. Cost/benefit and risk assessments and determine ROI's when making technology acquisition recommendations. Achievements:
o Implemented quality processes/controls reducing operating expenses 15% ($6M/year). o Built team of more than 40 employees, directing the end-to-end operations, finance, billing, provisioning, and service order processing.
o Acquisition team lead, converting 4 long distance telecommunications companies. o Increased corporate revenues by 40%.
o WorldCom acquired Star Telecom after the implementation of the long distance business.
• Data conversion and implementation (software/hardware) supporting large clients with diverse products.
• Expert level of competency in establishing strategy and leading system design for voice applications.
• Articulated and presented technology vision with all levels of management.
• Experience with software/technology life cycle including research/development, ascent, maturity, decline.
• Expertise in designing, developing and deploying voice applications in a forward thinking manner. 5
MANAGER, Finance & Billing, Quality, San Angelo, TX Aug 93 – Aug 98 SUPERVISOR, Finance & Billing, Durham, NC Jun 90 – Aug 93 SR. ADMINISTRATOR, Thousand Oaks, CA Aug 89 – Jun 90 Verizon (NYSE, $60B, Telecommunications)
Achievements: Negotiated multiple service level agreements identifying business requirements and expectations: o “Individual Excellence Awards” (x3) for Quality, Workforce Development and Customer Satisfaction. o “Challenge Cup Gold & Silver Award” for Project Management and Quality/Process Improvements. o Fast-Track/Leadership Development Program for exceptional employee/customer relations. o Winning Connection Team Award for financial system conversion and tariff compliance. o Customer order non-conformities reduced by 80%; data integrity improved by 50%. o Customer ordering defect rate reduced from 90% to 10% o Business Services misdirected claims reduced from 25% to 5% o IT system support/coverage increased by 40%
o Training overhaul, integrating real-world curriculum and on-the-job mentoring (from 13-to-6 weeks). o Spearhead ISO9002 registration of 3 operations, delivering 40% under budget (approx. $75k savings each). o Improved ordering/billing center process flows and productivity by 300%, reducing costs $4M annually. o Enhance system analysis procedures, improving cash flow by 15% per month, 90% error reduction. o Streamline Billing & Collection Agreements, increasing revenues by $88M annually.
• Perform financial planning & analysis, manage finance operations, tax, and treasury.
• Analyze financial reports, operational reports, trends & new business opportunity analysis.
• Develop pricing models that address positioning, differentiation, value proposition and messaging.
• Develop business cases, strategic plans, budgets, customer/market segmentation and forecasting. Present findings and business development opportunities to executives on related projects.
• Actively involved in market segmentation, product strategy, pricing and competitive intelligence.
• Manage billing process between carriers, resolve discrepancies & ensure processes address business changes.
• Support product trials and provide on-going data analysis and follow-up with Long Distance Carrier customers.
• Analyze/monitor product data from various sources and present to Product Management departments.
• Collaborate with Internet Business Solutions department in financial model development.
• Responsible for product management and customer care for the “Big 3” carriers (AT&T, MCI, and Sprint).
• Manage center with 20 management staff, 12 quality staff and 300 customer service representatives. Success through Education
• MBA, Finance / General Management, Elon University, Love School of Business (Elon, NC) May 95
• BSBA, Cum Laude, Mathematics minor, University of Phoenix (Phoenix, AZ) Jun 89
• Professional Development: Business Process Reengineering (BPR), International Standards Organization (ISO), Total Quality Management (TQM), QualPro, Continuous Process Improvement (CPI).
• Technical / Systems:
o MS Excel (*Power-User)
o MS PowerPoint (*Power-User)
o MS Access
o MS Project
o MS Publisher
o Adobe Photoshop
o Deltek Costpoint®
o Deltek® GCS PremierTM
o Project Planner
o Enterprise Info Mgmt. (EIM)
o Elect. Doc. Mgmt. Sys. (EDMS)
o Cognos 8
o Crystal Reports
o RIMS / DFIMS
o GarageBand & Audacity
o Final Cut Pro & iMovie
• Security Clearance: Secret, Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI). Also held “Top Secret” as required.
‘Giving Back’ through Volunteering
• Supervisory Committee Member, CBC Federal Credit Union (2012 to 2014): Work with management, board of directors, and internal/external auditors in meeting financial reporting objectives, safeguarding member assets.
• Venture / Explorer Scout Leader, Boy Scouts of America (1998 to 2006)
• Cub Scout Master, Cub Scouts (2001 to 2005)
• Coach, Newbury Park Pony Baseball (2001 to 2003)
• Representative, LDS Church (Pusan, Korea, 1982 to 1983)