JAMES R. MEDLAR II
STOCKBRIDGE, GA 30281
EARTHLINK, INC Atlanta, GA
IP-NOC Technician Level I May 2015-August 2017
The IP/Data NOC Technician I position included:
• Monitor switching, digital, optical and associated telecommunications equipment.
• Perform fault analysis, isolation and remediation in switching, digital, optical, and other technologies.
• Perform incident management functions for all backbone network incidents
• Document all alerts and actions taken in a variety of systems and tools
• Develop extensive knowledge of EarthLink Communications products and services.
• Provide Single Point of Contact duties for high-risk & service impacting events.
• Interface with customers, engineers, vendors and technicians to resolve trouble reports.
• Provide technical assistance for service partners and ILEC technicians during service impacting network events.
• Carrier grade device management i.e. Software/firmware upgrades, maintenance procedures, and recovery tactics.
• Operate in a 24 X 7 Network Operations Center; this includes shift work, rotating 2nd and 3rd shift hours, and weekends
• Perform maintenance level activities such as configuration changes, reloads, card insertion and removal, hardware upgrades on various IP platforms: Cisco 10K, Cisco 12K, Cisco 7600 series, Cisco 6500 series, Cisco Nexus switch platforms,
• Associates degree or higher or equivalent experience
• Demonstrable knowledge of the following IP protocols: BGP, OSPF, MPLS, Spanning Tree, UDLD, BFD
• Demonstrable knowledge of the following platforms: Cisco 10K, Cisco 12K, Cisco 7600 series, Cisco 6500 series, Cisco Nexus switch platforms, Cisco CRS, Cisco ASR9K, Fortinet security platforms
EARTHLINK, INC Atlanta, GA
IP-NOC Surveillance Technician November 2013-May 2015
NOC Surveillance Technician responsible for monitoring all of the Earthlink Core NE backbone infrastructure, performing outage triage and root cause identification while ensuring that all required groups are engaged to ensure timely and efficient resolution to all network events.
SUMMARY: The NOC Surveillance Technician is a critical role within the Network Operations Center. Surveillance Technicians are responsible for monitoring all of Earthlink’s core backbone infrastructure, performing triage and root cause identification and ensuring that all required groups are engaged to ensure timely and efficient resolution to any and all network events. In addition, the Surveillance Technicians will be responsible for internal communications related to network events and issues. A successful Surveillance Technician will be able to multi-task in a fast-paced team environment, taking data from multiple sources and being able to quickly diagnose the event to a root cause.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The NOC Surveillance Technician position included:
• Mastery of Local Area and Wide Area Network Fundamentals
• Advanced knowledge of various network troubleshooting tools such as, but not limited to: ping, traceroute, telnet, ssh, dig, SNMP get.
• Working experience with Netcool and Remedy.
• Strong understanding of SNMP traps and syslog messaging with the ability to react to and perform fault analysis for various messages.
• Ability to acknowledge multiple network alerts and messages and determine customer and/or network impact as a result of symptoms presented.
• Ability to read and interpret engineering documents such as Methods of Procedures (MOPs) and Work Orders for scheduled maintenance.
• Must be able to work independently with supervisory guidance, while focusing on a sense of urgency for customer impacting issues.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral diagram, or schedule form with MetaSolv &Visio.
• 24x7 shift-based monitoring of Earthlink’s core transport, Network-IP, and voice/switch nationwide infrastructure.
sCOM/Corestaff Services Little Rock, AR
DSLAM Test & Turn Up Analyst December 2012-February 2013
Contracted DSLAM Test and Turn Up Analyst for Windstream Communications.
Performed implementation reviews and configured networking equipment in a live TTL IP/Ethernet space while working with both technicians and engineers to test and turn-up network devices. Responsible for proper DSLAM to the BRAS configurations, testing, and turn-ups
while identifying and repairing faulty network configuration issues. Built network VLAN configurations on Cisco 7600s & 10K, Alcatel-Lucent 7750, Adtran TA5000 & Calix C5/7 DSLAMS & E7 switches, Juniper Networks m10i & 320m, and RedBack se-800 Edge routers.
FIELDNATION.COM Atlanta, GA
Telecom Field Service Technician July 2011-December 2012
Part-time Independent Contractor for various Telecommunications tasks to include running CAT5e Cables, deploying and replacing Cisco routers, switches, and Wireless Access Points, installing DSL modems, testing & turn-up of Circuits, and the hanging of network cabinets.
ITRM, INC Atlanta, GA
EFM Test and Accept NOC Technician September 2010-July 2011
Contracted EFM Test and Accept NOC Technician for Cbeyond Communications, Primary duties include the testing and acceptance of EFM circuits, opening, updating and closing trouble tickets as required while performing remote testing, troubleshooting and configuration of network devices. Thoroughly document order statuses in company systems as required. Monitoring the Siebel trouble ticket queue, PAPA and email distribution lists for preinstall and circuit failures. Driving field installations by dispatching installation techs, ILEC resources, and customer vendors to achieve successful implementation of services. Communicate effectively with upstream and downstream departments on trouble ticket statuses. Escalating effectively within the ILEC as appropriate. Participating in OSS development and testing related to system changes and enhancements. Through knowledge of customer CPE deployment and assisting FSTs remotely with CPE installs. Assisting in the training of new employee and contract hires.
CSI AMERICA, INC Atlanta, GA
DSL Field Service Technician May 2006-March 2009
Contracted DSL Field Service Technician for Covad Communications in a Multiple ISP business and vendor environment. Duties included installing, troubleshooting, and repairing ADSL, SDSL, IDSL, and T-1 Services and network devices including LAN,WAN, and Wireless modems and Routers. Specialized in troubleshooting with ILEC Technicians on vendor Meetings, Central Office DSLAM card installation/maintenance, and training new employees.
REMOTE ACCOUNTING SOLUTIONS Dallas, GA
Software Installer July 2005-May 2006
Network Technician installing accounting software remotely to Nationwide Clients and accounts using proprietary accounting solutions software that interacted with Intuit Quick Books series and Peachtree Software.
PEACHTREE SPECIAL RISK BROKERS Stockbridge, GA
Junior Network Administrator February 2005-June 2005
Temporary supplemental position assisting the firm's Network Administrator install and rollout new DELL PC's, upgrade the company's network servers over to Microsoft Server and Exchange Server 2003. As a subsidiary of Brown & Brown Company, this position included supporting PC services remotely for over 80 nationwide employees utilizing Remote Administrator 2.1, Citrix Server software, and Blackberry Server administration.
AESTHETIC INSTALLATIONS, INC. Atlanta, GA
DSL Field Service Technician August 2003-September 2004
Contracted DSL Field Service Technician for Covad Communications in a Multiple ISP business and vendor environment. Duties included installing, troubleshooting, and repairing Residential and Commercial ADSL, SDSL, IDSL, and T-1 Services and network devices including LAN, WAN, and Wireless Routers. Specialized in troubleshooting with ILEC Technicians on Vendor Meetings, Central Office DSLAM card installation/maintenance, and training new employees.
PIONEER SERVICES NETWORK Atlanta, GA
PC Technician January 2003-July 2003
Project included New Dell computer rollout for all Kaiser Permanente facilities in Atlanta, GA. Duties included data migration using the Blue Current.com web tool, new computer imaging utilizing Norton Ghost server, installing new desktops, and network printer services.
ARC CORPORATION Atlanta, GA
PC Technician May 2002-January 2003
Projects included Windows 2000 systems installs, data migrations, and legacy network printer configurations for Nortel Networks, Paine Webber Financial, and Solvay Pharmaceuticals.
BENCHMARK TECHINCAL SERVICES Norcross, GA
DSL Field Services Technician February 2001-February 2002
Contracted DSL Field Service Technician for Bellsouth FastAccess DSL services.
INTELLICOM SERVICES, INC. Atlanta, GA
DSL Field Service Technician August 2000-February 2001
Contracted DSL Field Service Technician for Bellsouth FastAccess DSL services
CompTIA A+ Certified
CompTIA Network+ Certified
MicroSoft Certified Professional
Cisco CCNA Certified
California State University, Master of Arts, Graduated in June 1993.Army ROTC Graduate. Promoted to US Army Reserve 2nd Lieutenant. Airborne School. Armor Officer Basic Course.
Rutgers University, Bachelors of Arts, Graduated in May 1991.