Aimee Carroll, MSA
Human Resources Leader
***** ****** *******, ** ***** • 734-***-**** • firstname.lastname@example.org Positive and authentic Human Resources professional with a strong customer service focus. Experienced HR Business partner adept at understanding operational needs and developing positive relationships to facilitate strategic HR initiatives. Organized and determined professional adept at rebuilding HR departments and modernizing HR functions. Career Highlights
Successfully implemented a redesign of HR function resulting in modern, customer focused HR departments. Redeveloped the labor relations function within a municipal HR department resulting in improved labor management relationships.
Developed an employee engagement litmus test for 25,000 employees in the US and Canada to help determine strengths and vulnerabilities. Used this data to avoid further unionization of key facilities.
Developed companywide training for management on labor relations, union drives and interpretation of master labor agreements reducing vulnerability and increasing engagement.
Successfully negotiated several Union contracts with the UAW, Teamsters, USW and AFSCME
Consistently demonstrated excellent business acumen and customer service skills with both management, employees and Union officials. Professional Experience
The Maples of Benzie County Frankfort, MI County medical care facility January 2017 – October 2017 Human Resources Director and Corporate Compliance Officer Recruited to develop and manage the HR function for this 78-bed facility employing roughly 150 people. Managed the transition of employees to our new facility and handled all recruiting efforts. In preparation for the move I streamlined the recruiting process, provided training and organized job fairs. Additionally, new polices were developed to ensure consistency throughout the organization and to ensure the success of new hires.
• Leadership: Assigned to develop the skills of the payroll analyst to ensure professionalism, high customer service standards and reduce error rates. As a team, we have worked to ensure consistency throughout the payroll cycle, accurate documentation of payroll occurrences and created SOP’s to ensure clear direction/understanding to employees and management.
• Payroll: Conducted a deductions audit to ensure that payroll records, billing statements and our insurance agent accurately reflect the appropriate benefit levels for each employee.
• Executive and Management Advice and Counsel: Working with the Administrator and leadership team to build employee morale through training sessions, implementation of consistent procedures and practices and one on one management coaching.
• Labor Relations: Managed the relationship between AFSCME and administration. Trained and ensured consistent handling of grievances and Union issues.
• Employee Relations: Strong focus on employee education and customer service. Updated polices and new employee orientation to ensure compliance with State and Federal regulations and facility policies and procedures. Worked with the leadership team to establish appropriate means of resolving employee and facility issues. Core Competencies
HR Function Design
Policy Development and
FMLA and ADA compliance
Mentor and Coach
HR process implementation
Training development and
Aimee Carroll Page 2
• HR Functions/Process: Manage all aspect of Human resources including contract maintenance, file maintenance, benefit plan design and training, recruitment, investigations, corporate compliance etc. Manage budget for the HR department.
City of Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MI Public Municipality 2010-2015 Human Resources Services Partner (HR Business Partner) Served as HR Liaison and Business Partner to the Public Services division of the City of Ann Arbor and managed Labor Relations with the TEAMSTERS and AFCSME local unions. In this role, I took over an area that was skeptical of Human Resources, and was able to develop effective professional relationships with all levels of the Public Services organization.
• Mentor and Coach: Worked with executive leadership, managers and frontline leadership to establish positive behaviors and assist through difficult employee issues. Mentored several HR staff members, provided training regarding labor relations and management coaching.
• Strategic Talent Acquisition and Succession Planning: Worked with executive leader to staff the Public Services area management level following multiple retirements from key positions. Developed succession planning for the area particularly for hard to fill positions including the executive level.
• Project Management and Strategic Planning: Lead a team composed leadership, employee representatives and other key stakeholders to develop a training and promotional program for hourly staff following a consolidation of City Services. Negotiated all elements of the plan with affected Union groups. Trained and helped management implement the new promotional program. Continued to monitor the program to understand gaps and make necessary improvements.
• Employee Relations: Worked with management, employees and union leadership to sustain open communication and develop trust within the organization by helping to establish regular team meetings and providing a format for management to use during these meetings. Worked with management to ensure that employee issues were heard and addressed promptly and appropriately.
• Labor Relations: Negotiated CBA’s as the City’s first chair representative for the AFSCME and Teamster unions. Reduced benefit plan expenses and increased pension contributions creating long term savings for the City. Handled all grievances for AFSCME and Teamster groups. Partner with Finance, Legal, Senior Leadership and Frontline leadership to create a Labor Strategy following the directives of City Council. General Parts International Raleigh, NC Automotive Parts Retailer/Distributor 2009-2010 Corporate Labor Relations Manager
• Labor Relations: Responsible for labor relations for North America including two facilities in Canada. Represented General Parts during negotiations with the USW and at grievance hearings. Worked with legal staff regarding labor disputes. Advised local leadership, corporate leadership and local HR managers on handling complex labor issues.
• Strategic Planning: Developed a union vulnerability assessment survey to measure employee engagement. Worked with local leadership, legal counsel and senior leadership to develop strategies aimed at filling engagement gaps and reducing vulnerability. Worked with legal counsel, senior leadership and local management to implement changes.
• Leadership: Managed the overall labor relations function including managing work groups and direct supervisor of an HR labor specialist.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Michigan Detroit, MI Health Insurance Company 2001-2009 Sr. HR Representative (2004-2008) / HR Representative (2001-2004) Responsible for labor and employee relations for 3000 employees.
• Labor Relations: Provided support and counsel to upper management and frontline leadership. Handled grievances for assigned areas and issued the company’s response to grievances. Conducted investigations of alleged policy violations including sexual harassment, potential theft and other behavioral issues. Made recommendations for discipline based on investigation outcome, contractual guidelines and past practice. Worked with legal department and served as witness in arbitration hearings.
• FMLA, ADA and Attendance: Developed the organizations FMLA and attendance program and standards. Trained new HR staff on FMLA regulations and internal processing procedures. Made recommendations for second opinions on FMLA and ADA claims. Worked with legal regarding any DOL or EEOC charges. Aimee Carroll Page 3
Other Professional Experience
CoStaff Employment Services Southfield, MI Professional Employer Organization Human Resources Business Partner
Grand Traverse County Traverse City, MI Public Municipality Human Resources Executive Director
Munson Health Care Traverse City, MI Regional Hospital System Human Resources Generalist
MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY East Lansing, MI
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science/Pre-Law
CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY Mt. Pleasant, MI
Master of Science in Administration, Human Resources Technical Skills
Technical proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including OneNote, Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint. Proficiency with various HRIS systems including PeopleSoft, Lawson, Sage, Sierra (timekeeping), Kronos, Taleo, Zywave, Summit, Prism Employee Navigator and Ultipro.