Seeking career and personal growth opportunity in a leadership position to influence and implement positive changes in medical devices, aerospace, automotive, or energy industry. Executive Summary
Master tactician with long term strategy and vision. Strong leadership with strong people skills to influence internally and externally by creating win-win situations that cultivate integrity, teamwork, respect, trust, accountability, initiative and customer satisfaction. Fluid and diplomatic management style to adapt staffing and business situations. Successful organizational transformation through personal developments, innovations, culture changes, coaching and teamwork. Extensive experiences in New Product Development/Introduction (NPI/NPD), Product Life Cycle (PLC), Six Sigma, Lean, 6S, SQDRC, PDCA, Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and corrective action, Just-in-time (JIT), and DFx methodology. I am a results-driven, customer focused engineering professional with over 18 years of Manufacturing, Engineering Design, R & D, Testing, Benchmarking, Integrated Supply Chain, Marketing, and Sales in automotive and aerospace industries. Familiar with ISO9001, ISO13485, and AS9100 QMS. Profile
● Progressive and diverse experiences in manufacturing, engineering, sourcing, and expat experience
● Strong leadership capabilities with passion to coach, mentor, and develop future leaders
● Creative, intellective, decisive, high integrity, self-starter, excellent time management skill
● Engage and innovate manufacturing with additive manufacturing, robotic, IoTs, and Clouds towards Industrial 4.0
● Passion for excellence, team player, hands-on, problem solver with proven tracks of excellence
● Futurist, enjoy karting, skiing and golfing, well-traveled, adaptive to diverse cultures and work experiences Employment
General Electric Aviation then Woodward, Inc., Duarte, CA 10/2007 to Present Operation Engineering Manager, CI Lead/Industrialization Staff Engineer, Program Manager Achievements:
Increased productivity by implementing efficient staffing plan and transforming Manufacturing Engineering department with developmental, and cultural changes. Develop and set personal development goals, coach and mentor 17 employees. Increase first- time-yield, reduce scrap and rework. Decreased overall cost-of-poor-quality (COPQ) by 25%, PPM rating, and reduced department spending year over year. Led Airbus IPCA audit resulting grade “B” supplier rating. Led A320Neo Leap Engine TRAS industrial/production readiness. The results contributed to $800 million A320Neo PurePower TRAS contract. Initiated and developed automation, robotic strategy and roadmap to implement 6-Sigma methodology and future growth (Appr. 25 %.) Developed 3 year long range plan for Engineering Department on headcounts and budgets.
● Balance department budget, coach, mentor, and evaluate employees in Engineering, and Manufacturing organizations
● Manage, and prioritize engineers to support assembly, test, machine shop, and FAA Part-145 repair station
● Track, prioritize and hold team members accountable on NPI millstones and CI projects commitments and deliverables
● Develop, manage, and communicate monthly KPI and scorecard to senior leadership, customers, and all-members
● Run engineering internship program, recruit, mentor and develop future engineering talent pipeline for long term growth
● Provide technical guidance and maximize job satisfaction by matching/developing right skill-sets to the right jobs
● Research, Innovate, Initiate, implement new technology with CAPEX and Green Belt projects to promote SQDRC
● Provide lessons learned, RCA & CA, and business sound CI ideas for engineering design iterations to ensure DFx
● Led cross-functional team on cost reduction, process improvements, LTAs and lean to achieve $1.5M reduction targets
● Implemented DFx projects, NPI (NPD) early engagement activities, and designed single-piece flow production lines
● Subject Matter Expert (SME) on Value Stream Mapping, Lean, Six Sigma, DFx, cost reduction/avoidance
● Developed low-cost region suppliers with re-qualification, and customer approval activities
● $2.1M annualized cost savings from TRAS migration (work transfer) activities from UK to USA
● Gained more knowledge on VMC, Lathes, 3, 4,5 axis mills, EDM, and NDTs
● Major Customers: Boeing, Safran, Spirit, GE, Airbus, and US Military TRAS, flight control, and landing gears Honeywell International, Torrance, CA 03/2006 to 04/2007 Program Manager
44 million dollars of cost avoidance on the Boeing narrow-body-platform environment control system. Won A350 ECS contract. Gained Proficiency in turbo machinery, pumps, valves, heat exchanger, seals, bearings, high efficient electric motor, generator, sensors, components packaging and system optimization activities.
● Responsible for new program development milestones, cost and technology roadmaps, CRM, P & L
● Conducted trade-off studies on composite materials for cost, weight, and performance improvements
● Identified, negotiates, selected, and qualified emerging market suppliers for concurrent engineering
● Responsible for DFx compliance (Design to Cost, Design for Manufacturability, Assembly, and Test)
● Coordinated and executed program plans with Integrated Supply Chain, Engineering, and Manufacturing
● Identified and drove improvement on systematic issues in NPI/ NPD activities
● Program Portfolio includes JSF (Joint Strike Fighter), MMA/P8-A ECS, and 737MAX Environmental Control Systems Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, MI 05/2000 to 03/2006 Active Safety Engineer, FCG Leadership Program Graduate Achievements:
Developed autonomous vehicle technologies of intelligent adaptive cruise control, Lane Departure Warning, Collision Mitigation, and active safety to Jaguar Cars, and Volvo Cars. Gained proficiency in RF hardware system integration and optimization, algorithm development, validation testing on mono vision cameras, stereo vision cameras, short range radars (Active RF emitter and receiver), Lidar, GPS, and Inertial Measuring Units (IMU.) Improved Transit Connect product launch readiness from 54% to 98.2% in 6 months. Reported the Highest-Quality products Ford produces by The Detroit News Auto Insider. Improved Jaguar Cars Nameplate J.D. Power & Associate Initial Quality Survey (IQS) satisfaction ranking from 9th to 4th.
● Benchmarked, evaluated, and projected competition technology roadmap
● Planned, designed, delegated, managed and executed 12 people expedition. Collected 30000 km real world condition driving data across 12 major U.S. cities from Coast to Coast
● Co-Developed collision avoidance algorithms
● Developed active safety functions (ACC, CMbB and steering, Lane Departure Warning)
● Patented Impact Time and Velocity Prediction Improvement, File no. 65080-0051
● Managed plastic, foam, metal fabrication, electronics, and wiring suppliers and global homologations requirements Project Portfolio:
o 2005 Model Year (MY) Ford Excursion chassis systems integration o 2003 MY Ford Expedition / Lincoln Navigator / F250 NVH and vehicle dynamic development o Jaguar product lines quality assurance and improvement o 2003 MY European Transit product launch and technology transfer activities in Istanbul, Turkey o 2005 MY Ford Freestyle brake and Integrate Vehicle Control Development o 2008 to 2016 MY Volvo advance safety projects. Research on Lasers, Radars (Active RF emitter and receiver), Cameras, and fusion based Adaptive Cruise Control projects.
Programmed Composite Inc, Anaheim, CA 07/1999 to 12/1999 Manufacturing Engineering Intern
● Gained knowledge with satellite structure composite panel and manufacturing
● Reduced cost and TAKT time on satellite carbon-fiber resin structures and solar panel fabrication Cytec Industries, Orange, CA 06/1998 to 06/1999
Process Control Engineering Intern
● Responsible for continuous improvement projects with thermo-setting plastic-composites treater systems.
● Reduced production scrap rate from 23% to 5% in 6 months, result in $450k annual cost saving. Education, Skills and Certifications
M.S. Engineering Management, University of Michigan 2003 to 2006 B.S. Mechanical Engineering, California State Polytechnic University 1996 to 1999 Fluent in English and Mandarin, Green Belt certified, Design of Experiment, Parameter Design, Tolerance Design, Design for Robustness, FMEA, Global 8D, System Engineering, DVP & R, Consumer Focus and Consumer Insights, Limit-Handling test driver certification from Ford Motor Company. Vehicle Dynamics Fundamental, and Matlab extension course from University of Michigan.