T +1-814-***-**** E email@example.com L https://www.linkedin.com/in/niranjana-sundaresan PROFESSIONAL SUMMARY
Proficient Mechanical Engineer with 2+ years of professional experience in New Product Development possessing a strong aptitude for critical problem solving. Passionate about delivering creative solutions by collaborating with cross-functional teams to develop innovative mechanical systems. Competent in every stage of product development - Conceptualization, Research & Development, Analysis, Testing, Manufacturing design with track record of saving costs significantly by delivering efficient design solutions. SKILLS SUMMARY
Software: COMSOL, MATLAB, Python, Robot Studio (ABB), ANSYS, ABAQUS, SAP-PLM, MathCad, SPSS, C/C++, R, Minitab, Autodesk Inventor, CATIA, Solidworks, AutoCAD, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, ANSYS, ProE, Creo, Microsoft Office(Projects, Word, Excel, PP, Outlook) Techniques: Human Factor Engineering, Interaction Design, Human-Centered Product Design, Systems Engineering, Finite Element Analysis
(FEA), Design Thinking (Stanford D. School), Brainstorming, User Study, Project Management, Rapid Prototyping, Creative problem solving. EDUCATION
Master of Science - Engineering Design GPA-3.71
The Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA Aug 2015 – Aug 2017 Bachelor of Engineering - Mechanical Engineering GPA-9.1/10 Anna University, India Aug 2009 – May 2013
Nano-mechanical Systems Lab, The Pennsylvania State University State College, PA Graduate Research Assistant June 2016- Present
- Conducted research to deduce the potential ways to capitalize waste kinetic energy by converting ambient vibrations into electrical energy to power modern MEMS sensors which has novel applications for Structural Health Monitoring.
- Constructed prototype of electromechanical based harvester by laser cutting FR4 sheet, and assembling it with NdFeB magnets, coils, etc. Two kinds of non-linear Bistable vibration energy harvester were constructed and optimized using COMSOL analysis.
- Conducted modal analysis on vibration tables and fine-tuned the vibration element for maximum number of Eigen frequencies. Data acquired from vibration table was analyzed in MATLAB. Cameron, a Schlumberger company Tamil Nadu, India
New Product Development Engineer, OneSubsea, Drilling & Production Systems. June 2013 – August 2015
- Developed a dedicated running tool for Seal Assembly along with subsystem design, detailed CAD design, design calculations, GD&T, BOMs, preliminary FEA analysis, test procedure with implications of conserving drilling time and rig expenses up to $250K per day.
- Engineered a high strength Support Plate by assessing technical perspective of the latest Ultra-Deep Wellhead system with deliverables such as initial concept, 3D CAD model, Tolerance stack-up analysis, BOMs, document which resulted in total savings of over $2M.
- Launched key Value Engineering initiatives to establish a unified hierarchy of product family that facilitated reuse of existing sub- assembly and tools for new projects across different locations.
- Formulated high quality deliverables for technical design review of Deflector Base assembly as per client requirements. SEDTAPP, The Pennsylvania State University State College, PA Teaching Assistant, EDSGN 100 August 2016- December 2016
- Assisted professor with lab sessions. Tutored students on Solidworks modeling, best practices and graded 3D modeling assignments.
- Guided students on machine shop equipment and ensuring that Health & Safety policies are implemented and adhered to at all times PROJECTS
- Devised, implemented two innovative ways for collecting real-time feedback of body-weight exerted on an injured foot for patients using Medical Boots, & transmitting the body-weight data to doctors for aiding in creation of recovery programs customized to each patient.
- Spearheaded the development of Real-time Monitoring Interaction System to help reduce the carbon footprint of Penn State by streamlining the utilization of Fume-hoods across research laboratories, which contributed to a total annual benefit of ~ $1M.
- Generated Systems Design of a UAV with Bistatic radar, to accomplish autonomous remote measurements on polar ice sheets in adverse environments such as Antarctica to facilitate research on glacier depletion and effects of global warming at deducted cost and risk.
- Designed an automated Spin-Select Tool Holder by adopting the motion of live-tool in CNC lathe index tool with a goal to increase efficiency at reduced human labor and cost
ACTIVITIES & AWARDS
- Facilitated 5+ technical workshops as the Executive Secretary of Engineering Graduate Student Council (EGSC), Penn State
- Expedited multiple corporate social responsibility initiatives at Cameron Manufacturing India such as fundraising campaigns
- Increased student membership of SAE collegiate club, by ~$250% and organized 7+ technical symposiums as the Student President. Achievements
- First place in Best Design category at PSU College of Engineering Poster Presentation-2016
- Kalpana Chawla Scholarship awarded for exemplary extra-curricular & academics at National level from SAE-INDIA Foundation-2012
- Ranked 15th (out of 250 teams) at BAJA-SAE 2012 with second place in Cost Effective ATV manufactured among the participants.
- First place in Computer Aided Manufacturing at SAE Convention 2011
- Academic Scholarship from 2009 to 2013 (Top 3% in merit category) from All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE)