Thomas E. Mayo
Desert Hot Springs, CA 92240
Experienced purchasing and business management professional offers extensive hands-on experience in government contracts, overseas procurement, and supply chain management. Maintains a unique ability to conceptualize the big picture and implement innovative solutions to challenges. Provides effective leadership and motivating skills that support the development of cohesive teams.
Business Planning Efficiency Improvement Sales
Business Process Reengineering Negotiation Skills Strategic Planning Contracts Administration Logistics Management Supplier/Vendor Management Cost Containment Quality Control Systems Implementation Selected Achievements
• Managed Purchasing department responsible for $3M/mo.
• Developed department metrics for internal level of service measurements to identify areas for improvement.
• Began vendor managed inventory program.
• Started and managed businesses in the technology and service sectors.
• Developed new products from Japan, Puerto Rico, and computer cables from China and Europe.
• Evaluated and proposed process improvements reducing costs by $300,000 per year.
• Secured major DOD contract in excess of $50 million and the outsourcing of $5 million in CONUS/OCONUS service and repair contracts with 3rd party vendors. Applied FARs and DFARs while subcontracting key CLINs.
• Instituted cost containment measures for a major power system buy-out resulting in savings of $500,000 per year through material substitutions, revision of test plans and kitting of sub-assemblies.
• Negotiated new insurance contracts with savings of $70,000 per year.
• Provided contract negotiation services to multi-state facilities for contracts in excess of $250,000 per year. Relevant Procurement Experience
City of Cape Coral, Florida 2012-2014
• Set award criteria and factors for multiple projects totaling over $750M to ensure that received proposals conform to the solicitation request.
• Prepared and managed a range of contracts which include: devising acquisition strategy, draft and finalizing Statements of Work (SOW), sole-source determinations, RFPs, quotes preparation, Blanket Purchase Agreements, reviewing offers upon receipt from contractors, determining competitive range, and cost and price analysis, negotiation, risk assessment, source selection.
Conducted pre-proposal and bid conference(s) to arrive at a clear understanding of what is required under the proposed contract.
• Issued necessary amendments to clarify questions concerning such topics as specification changes, language ambiguities, or clarification of contract clauses.
• Responsible for Invitations to Bid, Requests For Proposals, Requests For Qualifications of high dollar >$100M or of greater complexity and/or high risk to the City.
• Proposed draft of Procurement reorganization that would provide more value added services, streamline purchasing processes, provide comprehensive vendor management, and maximize return to taxpayers.
• Authored new contract terms and conditions that managed risk, closed bidding loopholes, and reflected Florida Statute changes.
SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGER
Alteris Renewables Inc, Wilton, CT 2009-2010
Dir. Of Purchasing
• Supported extraordinary growth as company revenues doubled over previous year.
• Attained 13 inventory turns for 2009.
• Began process to put all ‘A’ vendors under Master Supply Agreement, reducing the vendor base by 22% and providing better focus for quality and cost improvements of products supplied.
• Conducted project to established VMI for all balance of systems parts with improved level of service and estimated cost reduction benefit of $125K.
• Established vendor quarterly review process that provided lead time improvements, cost controls, and joint cost savings plans.
• Established new vendors and accounts to serve regional nature of business.
• Centralized purchasing from 9 locations in 4 states to Corporate HQ. V.E.E.S., Inc., Williston, VT 1993-2000
Founder and President
• Accomplished average annual revenue growth rate of 22% the first five years of operation.
• Managed company financials resulting in PBT of 21% in 1998.
• Established and mentored senior business student projects with UVM and Champlain College:
• Production Control Data Base/ISO9000 based Quality Plan/Strategic Distribution Strategy/New Site Feasibility Study.
• Set up computerized supply base for all components, supplies and subassemblies, monitored inventory levels to achieve up to 8 turns annually.
Digital Equipment Corporation, Burlington, VT 1987-1993 Procurement Project Manager
• Developed third party logistics and repair systems for multinational corporations.
• Responsible for outsourcing contract repair opportunities in excess of $11M.
• Negotiated FAR-compliant CONUS/OCONUS software and service contracts totaling $50M for DOD customers.
• Originated new business providing contract negotiation support for other DEC facilities in NH and MA providing additional plant revenue of $125K annually.
• Supported Systems and Sustainability Engineering with new contract development for a $750K CAD software suite.
• Negotiated a $500K research agreement with Rochester Institute of Technology for power factor correction improvements reducing harmonics in switch-mode power supplies.
• Required supplier compliance with ITAR for F16 and Tempest computer systems. Digital Equipment Corporation, Merrimack, NH 1981-1987 Purchasing Specialist
• Managed suppliers and products from Japan, Puerto Rico and the US with 100% on-time deliveries.
• Negotiated and managed contracts in excess of $25M for computer accessories and supplies for the DECDirect Catalog.
• Project manager for cross-functional new product development teams including electrical and mechanical engineers for over 10 products,
• Established supply chain linkages to internal MRP yielding $2M in cost savings in efficiency and reduced manufacturing down time.
Teledyne Electro-Mechanisms, Nashua, NH 1979-1981
• Provided customer interface and sales support for customer furnished component inventories.
• As program manager for a critical $2M prototype Navy torpedo project, delivered product on time and under budget.
• Purchased Kapton, copper, mold building, Hi-Rel components to support production and managed raw material and component inventory of $7M.
• Planned and monitored production activities in support of the Master Schedule, increasing throughput by approximately $75K, and reduced production downtime by 10%. Other Business Experience
Windridge Tennis & Sports Camps 2004-2007
• Improved office accounting procedures to provide detailed expense reporting for analysis and forecasting.
• Increased efficiency and adherence to employment reporting by outsourcing payroll processing, saving approximately
• Increased net profits by $35K and $100K previous two years.
• Initiated a program to direct deposit all payroll for foreign and domestic employees reducing processing time and errors by 15%.
• Set up financial accounting software for third company managing retail pro shops in three locations.
• Began internet catalog sales business utilizing a third party fulfillment house, enabling improved customer service, better inventory management and increased sales of approximately 18%.
• Revised chart of accounts to conform to standard accounting practices saving processing time and reducing errors when preparing tax documents and end of year reports.
• Started weekly staff meetings to establish goals and provide consistent focus.
• Responsible for all Procurement including facilities construction, contractors, operating materials and supplies. JCRM Ventures, Inc. 2002-2004
• Managed business planning and startup activities, developed business plan, secured bank financing.
• Researched and recommended equipment and systems, conducted lease negotiations. Saving an estimated $200,000 in capital equipment, computer and office leasing.
• Performed market research and demographic analysis, determined market size and penetration opportunities.
• Procured necessary capital equipment, computer hardware and software and indirect supplies. PKC Corp., Burlington, VT 2000-2002
Client Services Consultant
• Provided business re-engineering services and software training to DOD and commercial customers at Bethesda Naval Hospital, Barstow Army Clinic, Ft. Dietrick, MD. Mayport, FL, Naval Station Hospital.
• Performed database analysis using SPSS software to monitor and develop historical treatment and staffing protocols.
• Developed and tested custom applications and updates using PKC proprietary software.
• Produced technical documents to assist new users.
• Conducted sales presentations to prospective new clients, reviewed SOW documents for compatibility and contract compliance issues.
United Technologies, Newmarket, NH 1976-1978
• Planned machine requirements and department labor hours for all departments. NH Computer Monitor Repair, Inc., Portsmouth, NH 1997-1998 Founder and President
• Began new business venture as prototype for turnkey franchising and contract manufacturing. Education
London Business School, London, England Executive Program in Leadership, Strategic Planning. 2004 Riviere College, Nashua, NH MBA Courses – Operations Management, Accounting, Marketing. 1982-1984 University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH BA Geography. 1972-1976 Other Experience
NorthCountry Federal Credit Union, South Burlington, VT Chairman, Board of Directors. 1997-2009 CU Services, So. Burlington, VT Vice Chairman, Board of Directors. 1998-2002 Cambridge School Board Vice Chairman. 1997-1999
Bartlett Hill Orchard Owner, antique apple specialties. 1989-2008 Morrisville, VT Rotary Co-Chair International Committee. 2003-2006 Professional Certifications/Associations CCD, ISM member, VT ISO9000 Auditor. Military US Navy, Radioman, Honorable Discharge 1968-1972