Lansdowne, PA 19050
• Project management.
• Web content writing including SEO-friendly meta titles and descriptions.
• Web quality control.
• 20 years feature-writing, editing, proofreading, and managing projects for publishers:
"Best eye in the newsroom."
– Tom Murray, formerly of Main Line Media News, later with Hibu in King of Prussia, PA
• Multitasking under deadlines.
• Taking a sketch of a business and creating a Web identity for that brand, crafting customer-driven content.
• Expert copy editing.
• Fact-checking and footnote-writing, following AP, APA, Chicago, or Harvard styles.
• Quality control for clients’ websites.
• Working with CMS and workflow applications: adding Web pages, etc.
• Tracking work in SharePoint.
• Uploading and editing on the back end of a website.
• HTML basic hand-coding (I can read and write source code).
• Languages: Spanish (proficient), Latin (some working knowledge), and Russian (some working knowledge).
• Flip-video reporting: "Have car and camera; will cover stories."
• Pagination and basic layout and design using InDesign, InCopy, Saxotech, and QuarkXPress.
• Commercial voiceovers. Accent: Mid-Atlantic.
Production editor, Taylor & Francis Group, Philadelphia, PA, 2014-present
Managing and publishing 14-16 academic journals, in hard and social sciences. Maintaining schedules and workflow of the issue and volume years. Serving as point contact and problem-solver for academic editors and authors, as well as typesetters, printers, copy editors, and all those involved with the operation of the journals. Editing, revising, and approving all text, figures, covers, and layout. Supervising production editors in India.
Web content writer and quality-assurance editor, 2012-present.
• Angelus Press, St. Marys, KS, 2017-present: Rewriting news stories with original commentary for the news feed of the U.S. District of the Society of St. Pius X.
• 1&1 Internet, 2014, Wayne, PA: Content writing and editing for websites, creating Web-ready content for a wide range of businesses, learning new SEO techniques to incorporate them into content, work with domains, such as DNS points, registering domains, transferring between packages, etc., and work with SEO, Google verification and Google Places. Some work in Spanish. Training other writers in conferences; wrote article for in-house blog on how to write copy. Full-time; temporary through the Creative Group, April-November 2014.
• Hibu (formerly Yellowbook), 2012-2014, King of Prussia, PA: Writing content, following strict guidelines, for small-business clients all over the United States, including Web research on the businesses. Some work in Spanish. Editing text using simple HTML in the FatWire CMS, writing title tags and meta descriptions, registering new domains, and communicating with the studio designers in India and the Philippines. Full-time night shift.
• Code-on, Gent, Belgium, 2012: Writing and proofreading text for website of Dutch-speaking company, taking what they want to say and putting it in fluent, native English.
• StyleX Networks, Ashburn, VA, 2012: Writing advertising-like content for business websites, and Web research on many topics.
Paginator/proofreader/copy editor/fact-checker, National Catholic Bioethics Center, Philadelphia, PA, 2012-2013.
• Proofreading, copy editing and fact-checking articles for the National Catholic Bioethics Quarterly.
• Paginating and copy editing the Jerome Lejeune Foundation, USA’s 76-page booklet, Bioethics Manual for Youth, in both American and international English versions, for the Catholic Church's World Youth Day.
Education editor/video reporter/copy editor/commercial-voiceover work, Main Line Media News, Ardmore, PA, 2009-2012.
This company replaced Suburban Publications in January 2009. I had been a copy editor at The Suburban since 1997. I helped transform a traditional suburban weekly newspaper into an online daily with video reporting.
• Making education pages.
• Making video stories about kids and schools.
• Editing and uploading to the company website.
• Copy editing.
• Headline and caption writing.
• Pagination using QuarkXPress and InDesign.
• Getting automotive articles and pictures from Web source and paginating them with QuarkXpress and Adobe Acrobat Distiller for the Main Line Times, Main Line Suburban Life, The King of Prussia Courier and News of Delaware County.
• Commercial voiceovers for the company website. Clients include Cirillo Cosmetics, Bryn Mawr Cancer Institute and Renninger's Antiques.
Listings editor, PhillyFIT, Southampton, PA, 2004-2012.
• Working on the computer at home compiling calendars for a fitness magazine every other month. This replaced Philly Health & Fitness Magazine (same publisher).
Copy editor, Suburban Publications, Wayne, PA, 1997-2009.
• Copy editing three weekly newspapers, The Suburban and Wayne Times, The King of Prussia Courier and The Suburban Advertiser, plus entertainment magazine Arcade (now Main Line Ticket).
• Headline and caption writing.
• Pagination using QuarkXPress.
Copy editor/feature writer (freelance), Philly Health & Fitness Magazine, Penn Media Group, Southampton, PA, 1997-2002.
• Writing feature articles (mostly interviewing fitness experts and spa owners) and advertorial copy (“Featured Merchant of the Month”).
• Copy editing monthly fitness magazine on site once a month and via e-mail.
Feature writer/copy editor, Main Line Life, Montgomery Newspapers, Ardmore, PA, 1995-1997.
• Writing feature articles and movie and theater reviews.
• Copy editing weekly suburban newspaper.
Copy editor, The Intercollegiate, Parkway Publishing Co., Wynnewood, PA, 1991.
• Copy editing monthly newspaper for ages 17-25 in Philadelphia area.
Villanova University: B.A. in English, 1989.