Elizabeth Susan Costello
I am a senior global luxury marketing and communications specialist, with more than 15 years’ experience in the luxury and lifestyle industries. As an accomplished brand strategist, innovator and creative leader, I have developed a strong reputation for disruptive strategic thinking. I take a highly analytical approach to solving business problems, with proven track record of successfully delivering on ambitious growth plans. In my career to date, I have exhibited passion, dynamism and an entrepreneurial talent for re-imagining and positioning brands for long-term sustainable growth. I also consider my strong leadership and coaching ability to be definitive occupational strengths, employing a constructive, transparent approach that both influences and inspires.
Over the course of my career I have developed a broad, diverse network of international business relationships within numerous industries; particularly the wine and spirits. I have a proven reputation for marrying technical knowledge and creativity to facilitate growth projects and drive innovation. Confident and enthusiastic with excellent written and personal presentation skills, I am dedicated to the pursuit of excellence and I am seeking opportunities to truly challenge myself. PROVEN STRENGTHS
• Strategy development
• Concept design and innovation
• Multi-platform strategic communications
• Creative direction and brand semiotics
• Global luxury culture and consumer insights
• High level project and resource management
• Strong commercial acumen
• Ability to build strong interpersonal networks
• Management and development of high performing teams
• Passion for results and people growth
• Excellent technical proficiency skills, with a genuine creative flair for promotional and marketing activities, themes and programs.
• Highly proficient in all facets of marketing communications, encompassing corporate & brand communications, promotions, events, collateral production, distribution and advertising. Significant experience within the retail, wholesaler and consumer sectors.
• Extensive experience in development, implementation, management and administration of cost effective marketing programs for internal, direct customers and consumers.
• Highly skilled in all areas of corporate communications management, direct marketing, digital marketing and public relations programs.
• Sound financial management expertise and clearly “hands on” and self- motivated, with a commitment to teamwork.
Sarment PTE, Singapore June 2016 – Present
Chief Marketing Officer
Sarment is an international lifestyle services network dedicated to connecting people with exclusive experiences. We are also one of the world’s fastest growing lifestyle businesses, combining insights with a unique approach to deliver expert services and curated experiences for a select membership. Through years of dedication, across multiple industries, we have forged unparalleled knowledge into the mechanics of high level client engagement.
• Brand portfolio – 90 brands and a marketing team of 25 people across the region
• Operations & Planning, development and implementation of the marketing strategy
• Marketing investment plans - P&L management
• CRM Strategy and management
• Digital Strategy and management
• Brand planning
• Global Communications Plan
• New Business Development
• Team performance and development
• Implemented a portfolio investment strategy, identifying priority growth brands and invested appropriately. Which resulted in uplift in sales of 27% across the region.
• Refreshed company vision, brand strategy, behaviours and execution of same.
• Developed and implemented social media strategy.
• Developed and managed luxury brand partnerships across the region.
• Developed Marketing tool kit.
• Introduced a culture of Decide and Act Fast.
• Developed a company culture - leadership and respect. Treasury Wine Estates, Singapore August 2014 – May 2016 Regional Marketing Manager – SEA, India, Japan & Korea Treasury Wine Estates is a unique global wine company with a leading international portfolio of new world wines. From the establishment of Australia’s Penfolds in the mid-1840s to the 1876 founding of Beringer Vineyards, a winemaking legacy has been created. Our five foundation brands form the base of our passion for wine and are some of the most recognised and awarded wines in the world: Beringer Vineyards, Lindeman’s, Penfolds, Rosemount Estate and Wolf Blass. Reporting to the General Manager, the Regional Marketing Manager is the marketing champion across the region and drive the performance of key brands in through development, implementation and management of the brand plan. Key Responsibilities
• Brand portfolio of 27 and a marketing team of 10 people with a $13.3M budget
• Sales budget of $35M
• Planning, development and implementation of the region’s marketing strategy
• Marketing investment plans
• Brand planning
• New product development
• Team performance and development
• Implemented a portfolio investment strategy identifying priority growth brands and investing ATL and BTL appropriately.
• Developed and implemented a Quarterly Promotion program for distributors to drive incremental sales which achieved a 35% uplift.
• Introduced a culture of Decide and Act Fast with particular emphasis on NPD commercialisation. We launched 8 new brands/sku’s in 18 months.
• Took a team that had a poor relationship with sales and winemaking to one of company leadership and respect.
Treasury Wine Estates, Melbourne, Australia March 2013 – March 2014 Brand Business Manager – ANZ, Penfolds
Reporting to the Global Brand Director, the Brand Business Manager is to be the Penfolds brand champion in the ANZ region and drive the performance of Penfolds in the region through development and implementation of the brand plan. Identify and feedback to the BBU regional consumer and market insights to strengthen the global brand plan.
• Building Penfolds brand in ANZ
• Responsible for achievement of the ANZ P&L for Penfolds - Penfolds accounts for 54% of TWE EBIT
• Responsible for developing the 5 year Regional Brand Plan through development and definition of market segmentation and identification of strategic priorities for the brand.
• Responsible for regional inputs into the global brand plan including market, consumer, category, shopper, channel and customer trends.
• Responsible for agreement of the regional KPI’s within the global brand plan
• Responsible for evolving tool kits to meet the needs of the region within the global guidelines.
• Creating and implementing brand activities are executed in the region/markets to support the achievement of the global brand plan.
• To engage, motivate and excite key stakeholders to build the brand in line with vision, strategy and guidelines.
• Responsible for delivering against the customer and channel priorities in the APAC region. Key Achievements
• Achieved and exceeded budgeted performance for Penfolds ANZ +25%
• Represented the Penfolds brand in the IBP ANZ Commercial Review.
• Identified and established luxury partnerships with like-minded brands.
• Established consumer commitment in the region.
• Significant improvement in key brand equity measures in the region. The Cheviot Bridge Wine Company, Melbourne, Australia March 2009 – September 2012 Director of Marketing
The Cheviot Bridge Wine Company is a medium sized wine business specialising in company and agency brands – a portfolio of 12 brands representing the key wine regions of Australia and New Zealand. This was a very hands-on role which saw me further develop my management style and financial acumen. Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Marketing is responsible for the marketing function for the company globally.
• To develop, implement and manage the BTL marketing activities for Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
• To develop and manage an internal and external corporate communications plan in conjunction with consumer brand activity.
• To drive NPD initiatives through the business, working collaboratively with all divisions.
• To drive, manage and mentor marketing team, appointed agencies and suppliers to ensure all activity was executed according to the brief and delivered on time and on budget.
• To manage the company’s three Cellar Door operations, in Mornington, Clare and Hunter Valley.
• To set all expense budgets for central marketing and the Cellar Doors.
• To set and achieve Cellar Door sales budgets.
• To prepare monthly reports for brand owners.
• To work closely with the Sales Team.
• The initiation of a promotional program for the sales team, along with a “user-friendly” product catalogue, which became a key selling tool.
• Developed an internal Twitter feed for company personnel to share wins and losses – key learnings.
• Designed and managed the relaunching of the corporate and brand websites.
• Relaunch of the red Hill Estate brand saw and uplift in sales by 35% in the first 3 months.
• Relaunch of the Kirrihill brand lifted sales by 55% in the first 3 months.
• Due to the strong packaging design capability we were the first company ALDI used for both sourcing and design.
• Mentoring and developing my team and co-workers. Evocatif Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia August 2007 - 2009 Business Unit Director
Evocatif is a below the line advertising agency specialising in brand communication activities. Originally established in Sydney, the growth of their Melbourne business saw the need to open a Melbourne office, so I merged my design business Kirby Design with Evocatif. Our client base included Foster’s Australia, McCain’s and Tetley Australia. Reporting to the CEO, the Business Unit Director Melbourne is responsible for the operation of the Melbourne Business Unit.
• To establish & set-up the Melbourne office, I am required to manage the Business Unit as an independent cost centre, fully responsible for revenue generation, profit & loss and team management.
• To manage relationships with existing client, overseeing all briefs, creative, production, timelines and budgeting requirements of the client.
• To seek out organic growth opportunities from existing clients and mentor my team to do the same.
• To construct and drive new business plan to achieve targets and proactively deliver agency credentials whenever appropriate.
• Responsible for strategic planning of projects and the development of a detailed understanding of relevant markets, targets and ways of communicating with them.
• Report on all clients in terms of relationship, financials (including forecasts & write- offs) and prospects at the monthly planning meeting.
• Recruit, manage, mentor and inspire the team.
• Manage relationships that any member of the team may have both internally and externally (our own staff & suppliers/partners) and make recommendations to the management team regarding procedures and/or systems that will facilitate the smooth operation of the team and/or the business as a whole.
In the short space of time that I was with Evocatif Pty Ltd, I have managed to build an excellent business and a proactive and positive team. All projects have been managed on time and on budget. Billings were 45% ahead of budget. Whilst my first priority was to consolidate and build on the work available from Foster’s Australia, the opportunity to build a broader base of “Activation” clients through exploring other industries through my valuable network has also proved to be very successful. Kirby Design, Melbourne, Australia 2002 – 2007
Kirby Design is an independently owned brand identity consultancy, established in Sydney in 1995. Our success as a business was built on creating powerful and coherent brand architecture, which is communicated through award winning brand identity and communications. Kirby Design offers the highest level of service in brand strategy, brand communications and project management. Our portfolio covers all aspects of brand architecture, strategy and every design discipline. The client base spans a wide range of business sectors, including wine, FMCG, the arts, not-for-profit and commercial property. Reporting to the CEO, I was responsible for the operation of the Melbourne studio. Key Responsibilities
• To establish and set-up the Melbourne studio of Kirby Design.
• In line with our recognised strengths my initial focus was market research to identify key new business opportunities particularly geared towards high-end commercial property and the wine industry.
• Account management of the newly gained key projects from initial brief through to completed delivery. Scope for these account requirements covered personal presentations, budget/costing scenarios, and briefing creative and outside suppliers.
• To continue the building and growth of Kirby Design’s Melbourne reputation within the Victorian design industry.
• Total management of recruitment both administrative and creative along with implementation and training in the newly created culture of Kirby Design – Melbourne.
• Budgets and forecasting both internal and external along with total management of Kirby Design – Melbourne as a cost centre.
• Forging and developing industry partnerships such as The Australian Property Council, The Australian Israel Business Network and the Australian Graphic Design Association to name a few. Key Achievements
• Over the last 5 years I have successfully grown Kirby Design – Melbourne to the point where we are recognised as one of the “Top 20” design studios nationally.
• Established a turnover in excess of $3 million dollars. In addition to these key successes, we have also been recognised by our peers winning awards both here and overseas. The growth of the business was mainly due to referral work from existing clients.
• Public Relations - Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) - 1999 – 2001
• Marketing - University of Adelaide Marketing - 1990 – 1993
• Retail Management & Management Development - London College of Distributive Trades - 1983 – 1985 INTERESTS
A aesthete and lover of theatre; architecture; art; travel; fine wine; sport and yoga.