JOHN D. KERN
Tel: 631-***-**** firstname.lastname@example.org
Real Estate and Transactional Attorney. Specializing in both residential and commercial properties in the areas of buying, selling, leasing and financing. Known for negotiation acumen, for achieving quick and accurate contract turnaround and for building and retaining client and business referral relationships. Authored one of the first theses for the transfer of development rights and land development/preservation on Long Island. Expertise spans:
• Contract Drafting • Land Use Issues
• Local Government Compliance • Licensing and Leasing Agreements
• Building Regulations • Spanish Fluency
• Commercial Financing • Bank Representation
THE LAW OFFICE OF JOHN D. KERN, ESQ., P.C., Southampton NY 2007 - Present Private Practice Attorney
Represent Landlords for light industrial, store front commercial and residential rental properties. Appear on behalf of commercial property owners before Zoning Boards of Appeal and Planning Boards. Prepare closing statements, certificates of estoppel, review bank documents, title reports, existing leases, and monitoring of deposits. Represent both Landlords and Tenants in Summary Proceedings. Legal Consultant to high net worth corporate and individual clients including restaurant and food business establishments as well as religious institutions
Represent Commercial Clients and Lenders for mortgages, complex financing and mezzanine financing.
• Closed millions of dollars in purchases of residential and commercial properties as well residential and commercial leases.
• Skilled Negotiator of construction agreements, purchase contracts, subscription agreements for businesses, company resolutions, private notes and mortgages.
• Effectively form commercial entities for the purpose of buying commercial real estate and leasing residential properties along with drafting of shareholder and operating agreements.
• Draft leases, riders, modifications and extensions tailored to the unique situations of each Tenant while meeting Landlord requirements.
TOWN ATTORNEY’S OFFICE, TOWN OF SOUTHAMPTON, NY 2005 -2007 Assistant Town Attorney
Counsel to: The Board of Trustees.
The Conservation Board
The Housing Authority, Community Development, Parks and Recreation, Bay Constable, Code Enforcement, Public Safety, and Animal Control.
• Achieved the highest fine penalty in New York Town Justice Court history as a Town Prosecutor.
• Drafted the Town’s Affordable Housing Legislation.
• Negotiated Licensing Agreements for the Parks and Recreation Department.
• Closed multi-million dollar transactions for the purchase and preservation of real property by the Town. JOHN D. KERN PAGE 2
OFFICE OF THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY, SUFFOLK COUNTY, NY 2003 - 2005 Central Islip and Southampton, NY
Assistant District Attorney
• Prosecuted dozens of criminal cases in Suffolk County, New York. SARISOHN LAW PARTNERS (formerly Sarisohn, Sarisohn, Carner, LeBow, Braun, Shiebler, Tarantino Esqs. LLP) Commack, NY 2002 - 2003
• Handled cases involving Civil Litigation, Criminal Defense, Matrimonial matters. Drafted necessary pleadings, motion papers, and responses. Drafted corporate agreements
• Drafted residential and commercial real estate contracts of sale, riders, leases; Closed commercial and residential real estate transactions.
• Appeared for both Landlords and Tenants in Summary Proceedings.
• Represented clients before Zoning and Planning Boards. EDUCATION
ST. JOHN’S UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW, Jamaica, NY
J.D. Degree awarded June 2002
Activities: Co-Editor in Chief New York Real Property Law Journal, Real Property Law Society, Elder Law Clinic, Student Member of the Suffolk County Bar Association.
Publications: "Real Estate Developers: Don't Buy The Farm” published in The New York Real Property Law Journal. ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY, Canton, NY
B.A. Degree in Spanish awarded June 1989
Activities: Student Council, Junior Year Abroad – Madrid, Spain. ADMISSIONS
New York State Bar Association,
United States District Court Eastern District of New York CIVIC INVOLVEMENT
Elected to The School Board for the Remsenburg-Speonk Union Free School District.
• Nominated to serve as President for two years.
• Successfully negotiated Teachers’ Contract after two year contract hiatus, brought in budgets under the 2% cap for four consecutive years.
• Cut School Budget without sacrificing staff or programs. Served as President of the Remsenburg Association Board of Governors.