MATTHEW MORRILL email@example.com
Dedicated culinary professional possessing a proven track record of superior performance in support of operations for various major organizations, seeks to utilize expertise in Program Management, Process Optimization, Cost Control, Menu Development, Team Mentorship, Event Execution, Purchasing/Receiving, and Compliance to support profitability within a progressive organization. PROFESSIONAL BON APPETIT, Chicago, Illinois 2016 to Present EXPERIENCE: Executive Chef - University of Chicago, Baker Dining Commons
• Lead a team of 65 to support dining operations serving 2,500 students per day.
• Ensure proper preparation and ordering for Kosher, Halal, Avoiding Gluten, Comfort, Vegan, and Vegetarian dining needs.
• Ethically and sustainably source local products from within 150 miles, 750 miles at most.
• Forecast to reduce waste/cost for all-you-can eat facility, as well as grill, deli, pizza, and salad bar.
EATALY, Chicago, Illinois 2014 to 2016
Executive Sous Chef - Piazza
• Led teams of 25-40, managing six areas with 3 Sous Chefs and 4 Supervisors, including: Mozzarella, Crudo, Salumi Formaggi, Fritto, Vino Libro, and Panini & Rotisserie.
• Coordinated and executed all banquets: up to 100 guests in Saloni & 1,500 in Piazza.
• Responsible for ordering supplies, planning menus, reducing food costs, and developing daily and weekly specials for this major Chicago concept restaurant. THE BLUE FROG’S LOCAL 22, Chicago, Illinois 2012 to 2014 Kitchen Manager
• Oversaw all daily operations, including ordering and receiving of product to control cost.
• Designed menus and related strategic marketing, and trained staff on knife skills and preparation methods to maintain safety/sanitation compliance. THE ARBORETUM CLUB, Buffalo Grove, Illinois 2010 to 2012 Executive Chef
• Led and supervised 5-8 regular team members, including all related human resource duties.
• Assisted sales staff with regular tastings for potential business clients, with full responsibility for quality control/assurance.
• Successfully reduced food costs by more than 11% within the first three months in role.
• Responsible for coordinating all front and back-of-house personnel scheduling.
• Redesigned/implemented restaurant and banquet menus, utilizing original recipes; trained all staff on proper preparation and serving of dishes. THE HAPP INN, Northfield, Illinois 2009 to 2010
• Designated as primary back-of-house administrator, overseeing purchasing/receiving of all food, kitchen scheduling, and menu design/execution.
• Responsible for cost control, food preparation, expediting, and quality control.
• Supported daily operations of the business, including nightly inventory audit.
• Supported all aspects of operations as original team member, including: opening restaurant, menu design, and working with consultants to execute restaurant concept & business model.
• Acted as Head Chef during his absence to coordinate smooth flow of operations. NAPLES FORT MYERS KENNEL CLUB, Ft. Myers, Florida 2004 to 2008 Executive Chef
• Coordinated two menu changes per year, as well as four daily specials.
• Planned and executed events/parties for up to 2,500 guests, working directly with clients.
• Maintained 31% food cost or better, and managed $210K in purchasing and receiving.
• Scheduled front and back-of-house staff to optimize labor costs while supporting service. WESTIN DIPLOMAT RESORT & SPA, Hollywood, Florida 2002 to 2004 Banquet Chef
• Prepared food and banquets for the second largest convention center space in the State of Florida, averaging $65MM in Food & Beverage.
• Collaborated incorporate standardization of recipes, and supported operations as only chef cross-trained at all four outlet restaurants as well as banquets.
• Oversaw all aspects of butcher shop on premise part-time for 6 months. FLANIGANS SEAFOOD BAR & GRILL, N. Miami, Florida 1999 to 2002 Lead Line Cook/Assistant Kitchen Manager
THE MORGAN HOUSE, Ft. Myers, Florida 1997 to 2000
GRADY’S AMERICAN GRILL, Ft. Myers, Florida 1996 to 1997 Lead Line Cook
EDUCATION: JOHNSON & WALES UNIVERSITY, N. Miami, Florida Culinary Arts Conferred 2003 CERTIFICATION: • Certified Professional Food Manager • Serve Safe Certified
• Food Service Safety Manager (City of Chicago & State of Illinois)