JONATHAN W. MILLER
To Whom It May Concern,
I am a finance corporate professional with an entrepreneurial brain looking to leverage more than fifteen years of strategic/tactical financial leadership along with experience in private equity, business development, operations, capital projects, personal investments and P&L management. Over the course of my fifteen-year career, I have been involved with all levels of a financial and sales teams, including a CFO-level manager. I have learned to adapt quickly to what is needed in a position and put together a team that can help achieve the organization’s overall financial goals. Every business faces the same profitability challenge. The latest business cycle taught us that companies need greater efficiency management as competitors are being squeezed out. I’m an efficiency junkie and my philosophy is to solve a problem the right way, so that the same issues do not return. I am always looking ahead to mitigate financial and operational risk. I also have an understanding of business that most corporate candidates do not have as I as I have owned my own restaurant and other small businesses on the side for eleven years. In both the small business and corporate worlds, I have excelled at taking things from “good to great.” At this point in my career, I am looking to invest myself into an organization whose mission is to be the best at what they do. I really do believe I am an excellent candidate to help grow and prosper correctly in the ever-changing world that we live in. If anything, I would love to hear more about your challenges that you are facing and the direction that the organization is heading. I look forward to speaking with you more about my qualifications and welcome you to contact me at the telephone number or email address listed above. I have attached my résumé for your review and thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
JONATHAN W. MILLER
124 Labelle Street Pittsburgh, PA 15211 (H) 724-***-**** email@example.com
CFO/Senior Financial Manager - Looking to leverage more than 15 years of experience working in high performance finance organizations within the financial and mining/metals fields. Offering strategic and tactical financial leadership along with experience in private equity, business development, operations, capital projects, fixed asset, deal & contract structuring, and P&L management. Proven ability to increase the success and efficiency of any organization by being a strategic problem-solver while working across all levels of an organization. Utilizing past experiences to uncover ways to cut company costs, streamline processes, and produce new sources of revenue. A passionate self- motivator who has utilized strong decision making and communication skills to create environments where colleagues and employees work efficiently towards bottom line growth. Extensive background in financial modeling, forecasting, KPI dashboards, budgeting, planning, and month-end close processes. Looking for a new opportunity to leverage this financial and business knowledge to help an organization maximize its future potential.
• Financial Planning & Analysis, FP&A • Capital Expenditure Analysis & Planning
• Internal Operations & Strategy Development • Monthly Forecasting, Budget, and 5-year Plan Analysis
• Revenue Growth & Profit Optimization • Extensive Financial Modeling, Forecasting & Planning
• Controller of Network Distribution Optimization • Fixed Income, FTE, and Organizational Modeling
• Dashboards, KPI’s, Customer Profitability • Expansions, Acquisitions, Divestitures & Consolidations PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
PNC Bank – CFO – Financial Manager Retail Banking, Vice President – 2013 to present Financial controller for six business lines within the retail bank of PNC. Managing a finance team within the ATM Banking Business Line and the Outbound Sales Channel within PNC Bank. Serving as a strategic financial leader providing business development, operations efficiencies, capital project, and P&L management to increase the success and efficiency of PNC Bank. Focusing on increasing profit and efficiency margins across the various businesses line to increase overall shareholder and investor value. ATM & ICI BANKING, CFO (~55 employees, 5 executives in business line, 2013 to present) PNC has ~10,000 ATMs that are highly utilized by PNC customers offering a high level of customer convenience: ~80% of DDAs’ transactions are on PNC’s ATM Network throughout its footprint. The bank dispenses ~$15B per year to its customers via its ATMs and continues to grow allowing the ATM Network to be one of the best in the financial industry.
• Investing in improving the branch and alternative delivery network by allocating capital dollars to optimize the current footprint and maximize the returns on ATM and other capital investments.
• Rebuilt the financial reporting system that runs the AP/AR reconciliations, customer billing, and cost accounting allocations to allow for clear performance reporting down to the individual ATM.
• Financially oversee all aspects of ATM banking including CCAR, DFAST, GAAP, SOX, internal and external audits, revenue and expense recognition, fixed assets, strategic plan, budgeting, and forecasting activities.
• Engineered the restructuring of PNC’s business contracts and the signing of customers to more variable cost pricing contracts instead of fixed rent, resulting in a boost in the convenient store partnerships and PNC transaction growth.
• Mentoring a team of analysts and accountants in financial process, data mining, and brainstorming sessions always in search of the best way to aggregate large sources of data.
• Drove the change for increasing surcharge rates for non-PNC customers leading to $4-6M more in revenue/year.
• Spearheading multiple efficiency projects and ATM removal projects to better optimize our network and in transaction migration.
• Leading and partnering on projects to renegotiate client and vendor contracts, leading to save over $5M in expenses annually.
• Creating new reporting tools and KPI’s to aid the business line and assist retail executives and the retail transformation process.
• Working with business partners in Workplace, University, and Corporate Banking to determine which ATM contracts share relationships to better leverage sales, revenue and cost saving opportunities.
• Analyzing outsourcing initiatives and other cost cutting opportunities to increase profitability and margins.
• Building business synergies to be used across each business segment and eliminate inefficient processes and procedures. PNC Outbound Sales Group (~350-400 employees, 6 executives in four different business lines, 2015 to present) Invest in improving the branch and alternative delivery network by allocating capital dollars to optimize the current footprint and maximize the returns on investments. Developing financial models to create visibility around our university banking portfolio; KPI’s, dashboards, and further data mining are providing immediate value to understanding the importance within the changing sales channel. Leveraging other parts of the bank to find incremental margin and sales opportunities to drive deeper cross-sell penetration. University Banking ~ 60 Alliance Schools offering exclusive full-service banking to each university and branch campuses and a portfolio of 400+ Access Schools that allow sales members onto their campus to generate new client relationships. Investing in the long-term growth of young adults this program is a large portion of all deposits sales for the retail bank.
• Partner with management to lead and sign new university deals, recent signings of major universities within the PNC footprint.
• Working with Marketing and University business partners to maximize our investment in the student population.
• Data mining the opportunity to properly identify international students and enhance the opportunity and future revenue streams.
• Utilizing a University Banking pipeline to track, identify, and inform on new, renewal, and proposed university deals.
• Leveraging business relationships resulted in better input guidance/cost saving enhancements in deal structuring with universities. Workplace Banking ~ 40,000 different company codes are used to manage the largest sales originator within the retail bank. Offering a variety of sales packages to entice small to large business to become the trusted bank for their employees.
• Creating analytics and ramp-up models to manage both expense and sales/revenue management with rapid FTE growth.
• Working with leadership to expand our presence and penetration in PNC markets and sign larger workplace deals
• Analyzing incentive structures to make recommendations on how to drive sales and increase margins.
• Leveraging the corporate profitability team to truly understand the current and future customers of PNC Bank. Experiential and Outbound Sales Group– Two separate groups that are newer to the sales process and evolving as business needs and functions change. Top sales associates are used to sell in newer markets and deployed to major consumer gatherings like car shows, music festivals, and sporting events.
• Working with leadership to expand our presence and penetration in PNC markets using hybrid sales teams and ideas.
• Utilizing concerts and other events to spread the PNC message to drive sales and future customers.
• Forming city specific teams to spearhead new sales tactics and expand into new and emerging banking markets.
• Creating visibility around yearly household profitability, retention, attrition, balance views and growth over time. NREIS - Senior Financial Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis, FP&A – 2012 to 2013 NREIS was a turnaround private equity company owned by two publically traded corporations: Nationstar Mortgage and Fortress Investment Group LLC. Hired by Fortress to establish and manage a financial planning and analysis group that directly reported to the CFO and COO. Developed a reporting system that shows the profitability of customers and their direct impacts on EBITDA.
• Worked directly with Nationstar and Fortress to establish financial objectives for NREIS and other business expansions.
• Led financial contact on all company expansions and other private equity deals.
• Managed a team of analysts and accountants to drive data mining and organizational efficiencies.
• Integrated across all departments within the organization to fully understand all aspects of the business and develop detailed and accurate forecasts.
• Built fully integrated income, balance sheet, and cash flow statement models to forecast possible acquisitions and business expansions.
• Developed reporting dashboards to track KPI’s and monitor different departments and business lines to ensure financial forecasts and daily projections.
• Analyzed outsourcing initiatives and other cost cutting opportunities to increase profitability and margins.
• Conducted extensive research projects of market trends, pricing, acquisitions, and divestitures to fully understand all aspects of our competition.
Citizens Financial Group - Senior Financial Manager, Assistant Vice President - 2007 to 2012 Controlled the financial planning and analysis of CFG’s distribution network of over 1,400 branches. Developed a branch level reporting system that showed the profitability of branches by developing detailed revenue and expense allocations. Problem-solved and made investment/distribution recommendations based on cash flow analysis, IRR, ROE, and other efficiency ratios that were presented to the investment board on a weekly basis.
• Built relationships with all retail directors and their reports to present branch-level profitability reviews for their specific geographical locations. This level of modeling was essential to understanding all the financial impacts that were currently impeding branch growth and profitability.
• Established the goal setting and growth of new branches to ensure their financial success, development into a mature branch, and meet expected investment returns.
• Invested in improving the branch network by allocating capital dollars to optimize their current footprint and maximize the returns on their investments.
• Conducted extensive research projects of market trends, pricing, and other conditions allowed the organization to recognize industry trends in a very timely manner.
• Grew revenue through expansions, cost savings, and developing loyalty programs with Giant Eagle, Dunkin Donuts, Stop & Shop, and other retail organizations to leverage both companies branding powers.
• Developed a branch profitability tool, which did not exist, to understand all balance sheet and income statement flows down to the individual branch level.
Managed the certificate of deposits book for the entire bank within the Citizens Financial Group. Understood the relationships between the rate environment, product sales, customer retention, company objectives, and other metrics used to forecast the sixteen-billion-dollar book of business.
• Revamped an update process, reducing the time from days to hours to complete. Increased efficiency by utilizing databases and consolidating data sources allowing for more meaningful and productive analysis.
• Studied customer trends and developed extensive database driven models to determine future growth and opportunities that exist in the market place.
• Directly enhanced the portfolio’s sales volumes and net interest margin during weekly calls for retail and business banking product pricing.
• Strategically developed and deployed new CD products to maximize revenue potential and product growth.
• Modeled best practices that were distributed to other teams throughout the organization to develop a more streamlined consistent approach to forecasting financial results.
ALCOA, Inc. - Senior Financial Analyst - 2005 to 2007 Involved in a large cross functional finance organization within the metals and mining industry gaining extensive knowledge and learning from key business line segments and executive managers. Developed detailed models to better forecast currency exposure, commodity, interest rate, and other risks that had a direct impact on the financial results across the entire global organization. Financial Planning and Analysis, FP&A
• Analyzed business unit operating plans for the annual board and executive council meetings while providing the speaker notes for the quarterly earnings analyst presentations. Educated management on business unit variances prior to taking outside analyst calls.
• Managed the Corporate and Fasteners business units, within the FP&A group, collaborated with plant controllers to develop detailed strategies to meet their annual and quarterly forecasts.
• Worked with Hyperion and Oracle for internal and external reporting, completed both the one and five-year plan, and updated quarterly forecasts scenarios to identifying variances that were created.
• Created competitor analysis model for S&P Industrials; based on key performance metrics which was used to build the Incentive Compensation model for executives across Alcoa.
North America Treasury Group
• Produced several leases vs. buys models that were published and used company-wide to test for FASB #13 and forecast the financial impact of the decision on the piece of equipment. Long-term savings were estimated to be millions over the life of the assets that were purchased and drove down capital expenditures.
• Constructed an automated natural gas model that pulled live pricing and buy/sell alerts for the North American Treasurer.
• Created a financial model to map internal loan structures and cash positions. This ensured that all debt covenants were covered and obligations within the Corporate Real Estate Division were executed.
• Developed the country risk model and provided risk premiums that tied to financial and global events that were used by the global business units to develop their internal and external loan structuring with other countries. North America Internal Audit Group
• Provided objective and professional evaluation of internal controls and management systems across all the main business units within Alcoa. Performed assessments at manufacturing sites across the US as part of multi-functional team with extensive company travel. Identified and presented process improvement opportunities to business unit managers and controllers.
• Developed the Corporate Risk Model that allowed management to quantify business risks and develop the audit schedule that was issued company wide.
• Developed the reporting model used by management to determine accurate self-assessments across all business lines. EDUCATION
A.J. PALUMBO SCHOOL OF BUSINESS, DUQUESNE UNIVERSITY Pittsburgh, PA
• Double Major in Finance & Investment Management, Minor in Accounting
• School of Leadership and Professional Advancement obtained the education requirements for the Certificate in Financial Planning
• Progressed towards obtaining CPA certification
• Member of Sigma Tau Gamma National Fraternity
o Fraternity President - Honored with Outstanding President and National Chapter of the Year Award
• Member of Duquesne Asset Management Group
o Vice President – 2 years - Participated in stock competitions and managed an endowment fund for Duquesne COMPUTER SKILLS:
• Proficient with Hyperion, Essbase, Bloomberg, Oracle, MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, VBA, Barclays database, Thomson Database/DataStream, Centerpiece, Morningstar Principia Pro, BNA, Golden Years, as well as various online research websites.