PRESTON M. CANZIUS, J.D., MSCHE
Mobile: 1-925-***-**** Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Nationality: United States, Guyana
• Current Location: United States, Houston, TX.
• Education: J.D. and Env. Law Cert., Tulane Law School, New Orleans, LA, USA - 1993 MSChE, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, NJ, USA – 1987 (Thesis) BSChE, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, NJ, USA – 1985 (Thesis) Honors, Dean’s List and Sigma Xi
COMPUTER SKILLS: Expert on MS Suite, Fastcase, and Google Scholar. LANGUAGES: Fluent spoken and written English. Basic conversational German. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
President/CEO with successful background in the areas of compliance, contracts, employment, litigation, M&A and regulatory agency negotiations, acquired in broadly defined roles with Fortune 500 companies. Outstanding track record of advising and developing strong business relationships with all levels of corporate management on critical strategic, compliance and operational issues across the communications, energy, manufacturing and Oil & Gas industries.
* Successfully drove EHS department budget, strategies, goals and objectives, including process improvements, resource efficiencies, change management and succession planning.
* Expertly led the development and implementation of EPA’s RMP and OSHA’s PSM program for refineries and manufacturing facilities. Resulted in settlement of nominal safety citations under OSHA PSM initiative.
* Experienced providing Board/C-level business-savvy and focused strategic and tactical EHS compliance advice.
* Successfully negotiated complex transactions and EHS regulatory settlement agreements exceeding $300B.
* Possess high level of business acumen and excellent interpersonal, leadership, organizational, problem solving, program development and implementation, teambuilding and verbal and written communication skills.
* Highly experienced with developing and maintaining relationships with regulators and internal stakeholders.
* Established a collaborative management team for DOT compliance resulting in 92% reduction of DOT violations.
* Developed EHS contractor process that determined 20% contractors responsible for 90% EHS violations. SUMMARY OF PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
CANZIUS CONSULTING, Houston, TX 2014 - Present
President & CEO
President and CEO experienced at handling all EHS and Corporate Social Responsibility (“CSR”) issues for public and start-up companies. Areas of focus are developing and implementing standards and procedures to mitigate EHS and CSR compliance risks, advising Boards and executive management on corporate EHS and CSR governance and implementing compliance programs.
• Negotiate favorable settlement agreements with regulatory agencies.
• Advise CEOs on EHS corporate governance, business risk management and M&A.
• Negotiate and draft contracts for services such as drilling, project management, MSAs and consultants.
• Negotiate and draft agreements such as Farmout, JOA and license agreements.
• Analyze and report strategic and tactical compliance issues to Boards and executive management.
• Develop and Implement EHS and CSR compliance programs based on internal and regulatory requirements. HALLIBURTON ENERGY SERVICES, INC., Houston, TX 2011 – 2013 Assistant General Counsel
Championed and managed EHS compliance, regulatory strategy, negotiations and M&A due diligence.
• Achieved 20% reduction in activity time/legal risks by designing and implementing a systematic EHS process.
• Negotiated material settlement agreements that resulted in savings exceeding $200M. PRESTON M. CANZIUS, ESQ., MSCHE PAGE 2
• Increased operating efficiency by 20% by advising on all major services, equipment and chemical sales contracts to ensure compliance with EHS laws and protection of company assets.
• Reduced compliance issues by 30%-90% by designing and implementing corporate EHS seminars.
• Increased compliance by 40% compliance by revising EHS processes and implementing across BUs.
• Achieved 300% reduction in reported incidents of hazardous waste and material spills.
• Halliburton’s 2013 Law Department MVP.
CHEVRON U.S.A. INC., San Ramon, CA 2005 – 2011
Spearheaded domestic and international EHS compliance activities, including risk management, resolution of regulator issues and leading corporate systems audits.
• Achieved 98% reduction in civil penalties and dismissal of all criminal sanctions by negotiating terms and conditions of major settlement agreements related to alleged EHS violations.
• Generated additional product sales and expedited ordering processes and payments by drafting contracts for services and products between company and US government entities.
• Developed and implemented strategic plans for OSHA PSM inspections resulting in Zero PSM violations.
• Managed operational support for 4 U.S., 1 Canadian and 1 South African refineries, including HSE, developing and negotiating Contracts, HR/Labor, capital projects and internal investigations.
• Negotiated 94% reduction in civil penalties with 7 federal, state and local agencies after a refinery fire.
• Established and managed cross-functional team for employee training resulting in 45% increase in compliance.
• Led and managed team that developed chemical life cycle process resulting in100% production goals. AT&T WIRELESS SERVICES, Redmond, WA 2001 – 2005
Chief EHS and M&A Counsel
Led all M&A and EHS activities, including EHS strategy and policy development, compliance and regulatory negotiations.
• Successfully negotiated settlements with multiple regulators resulting in 98% reduction of civil penalties.
• Performed and managed all of AWS’ M&A activities including JVs, property exchanges, acquisition and divestitures and negotiated and drafted detailed clauses, terms and conditions.
• Developed comprehensive analyses and reports for the Board and executive management.
• Member of and secretary for 4 AT&T Wireless executive level committees.
• Reduced fire and building departments compliance issues by 95% through contractor accountability strategy.
• Developed new business line that generated $20 million annually from recycled equipment. AT&T CORP., Basking Ridge, NJ 1993 – 2001
Senior EHS and Labor & Employment Counsel
Advised corporate-wide organization on compliance obligations, including negotiation of enforcement actions and Workers’ Compensation claims.
• Developed and instituted EHS Compliance Assurance Process and Attorney Client Privileged processes.
• Effectively centralized EHS reporting, permitting, and resolution of EHS violations.
• Reduced regulatory penalties by 75% by leading industry group and negotiating industry-wide settlement.
• Sole in-house lawyer invited by CWA and IBEW to Annual Conferences to train union employees.
• Leveraged strong relationship with regulators to expedite authorization for M&A deals within 24 hours.
• Awarded AT&T’s Spirit of Excellence Award for developing and implementing Fall Protection Program.