TIM A. OTIS
Operations w/P&L Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Instructor International Experience
I enable people to excel. If you seek an experienced Plant Manager, I am exceptionally proficient
at maximizing people and production. I will deliver process improvements and strong leadership to
increase the profitability of your operations.
Generated $750,000 in annual savings and more than doubled output at AREVA by establishing cellular
manufacturing and implementing Statistical Process Control (SPC).
Took AREVA's component manufacturing from a $1 million loss to a $1 million profit within 1 year of taking
Coached Black Belt and Green Belt candidates through their training and completion of their projects generating
over $700,000 in savings.
Successfully relocated a plant from Venice, Italy to Budapest, Hungary for the Refrigeration Division of Untied
Previous world-class runner at 10,000 meters for men over 40. Finished 5 th in the World Championship.
AREVA Lynchburg, VA 2001–Present
AREVA is the leading nuclear energy supplier in the United States. They are involved in every step of the nuclear energy production cycle
- from uranium mining and fuel fabrication to plant construction and nuclear waste management.
Operations Manager / Logistics and Planning Manager 2008–Present
Pump & Motor Service Center
– Responsible for P&L and oversight of this division, which refurbishes 4000 - 9000 hp nuclear reactor coolant
pumps and motors.
• Achieved and managed a 50% increase in Operating Income for this division.
• Successfully implemented Institute of Nuclear Power Operations (INPO) Human Performance and Foreign
Material Exclusion programs within the organization.
• Personally developed an integrated schedule which incorporated all resources - people, equipment and facilities -
to accomplish output on time and under budget.
Lean Six Sigma Manager 2007–2008
– Responsible for continuous improvement using Lean and Lean Six Sigma in a highly regulated customer focused
• Recognized for Excellence by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) after developing Standard Work
Instructions (SWI) for training and process control.
• Coached Black Belt and Green Belt candidates through their training and completion of their projects generating
over $700,000 in savings.
TIM A. OTIS
Professional Experience (continued)
AREVA (continued) Lynchburg, VA 2001–Present
Uranium Product Center Manager 2003–2007
– In charge of production of nuclear fuel rods and fuel assemblies. Directed and coordinated the activities
of engineers, production associates and support staff.
• Reduced the man-hours to produce fuel rods by 50%.
• Realized a $1.5 million annual savings by increasing First Pass Acceptance (FPA) from 98.1% to 99.85% through
process stability and labor management.
General Manufacturing Product Center Manager 2001–2003
– Responsible for the management and improvement of this machining division.
• Generated $750,000 in annual savings and more than doubled output by establishing cellular manufacturing and
implementing Statistical Process Control (SPC).
• Achieved a reduction in labor costs and cycle times by 75%.
• Reduced work-in-progress and raw inventory by 30%.
Carrier – A United Technologies Company Europe and Syracuse, NY 1983–2001
Carrier is a $6.5 billion global leader in refrigeration, heating and air conditioning.
Refrigeration Division – Product Delivery System Manager 2000–2001
– Responsible for the integration of Electrolux's Commercial Refrigeration Division after acquisition by Carrier.
• Relocated a bottle cooler production factory from Italy to Hungary. Directed plant layout, "5S" implementation,
production planning, value stream mapping, process documentation, and kanban scheduling.
• Instituted Lean Manufacturing and led Kaizen events at facilities in Sweden and Hungary.
Carlyle Compressor Division – ACE/TPM Coordinator 1997–2000
– Led the oversight of United Technologies Lean Manufacturing program known as Achieving Competitive
• Conducted over 50 Kaizen workshops, created eighty cells manufacturing over 3000 parts and completely
refurbished a 400,000 sq ft facility.
Additional Professional Experience:
Carrier – Carlyle Compressor Division Sr. Maintenance Planner Syracuse, NY
Carrier – Transicold Division Sr. Model Shop Technician Syracuse, NY
Seneca Falls Machine Assembly Supervisor Seneca Falls, NY
Edgcomb Metals Production Supervisor Liverpool, NY
Averett University Masters of Business Administration Danville, VA
Empire State College Bachelor of Science in Business Administration Saratoga Springs, NY
State University of New York and Economics
Virginia Tech / VPMEP Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Blacksburg / Martinsville, VA
University of Tennessee Lean Enterprise Systems Design Certificate Knoxville, TN