Highly talented, hands on, Data Warehouse Architect/DBA/Developer with subject matter
expertise in the development and optimization of large Oracle Data Warehouses, Oracle and SQL
Server Database Administration, Oracle Toolsets, Brio, Business Objects and Informatica.
Leverages over 2 decades of applications development experience including foundational skills in
structured methodology in the former Soviet Union and since 1994, in the United States.
Led and mentored a team of up to 50 developers.
Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, Oracle toolsets, PL-SQL, T-SQL, Informatica, SSIS, ERwin, BRIO,
Business Objects, UNIX/XENIX Shell, Perl, Visual Basic, C, Access, FoxBase, PL/1, JCL,
COBOL, SDLC, Data Warehouse, Data Mart, Data Vault, Agile.
Robert Half Technology, KFORCE, TRI, Talus Hartford, Connecticut 2010 to Present
Data Warehouse Architect / Data Modeler / DBA / Developer
Active provider of consulting services of the development and enhancement of data processing
• Provided analysis, prepared and implemented recommendations on the
development of large systems and Data Warehouses:
• Built methodology for creation a business model as the base for data model
reflecting business components, business events and relations between them.
• Built methodology for creation a Real Time Enterprise Data Warehouse without
• Built approach of simplification a complicated data model using meta-entities.
• Builds architecture and all data models of multi-time-zone Real Time Enterprise
Data Warehouse for thousands Housing Authorities all over the country using Data
Vault, Data Mart and Agile methodologies.
• Developed BI for America-Europe Solvency II project in XL Capital insurance
company – including data modeling and integration for General Ledger reports.
• Developed Financial Data Mart using SQL Server, ETL Informatica, ERwin and
• Opened blog “Information Technology Organization” (http://alex-t-ito.blogspot.com/)
which followed by more than 2000 IT architects all over the world.
• Improved performance and efficiency of databases and applications:
• Analyzed sporadically appearing performance issues for Renzulli SQL Server
international learning system with 0.5 million users.
• Prepared recommendations for modification of database parameters necessary to
resolve the performance issue and monitor the operation system and network.
• Enhanced existing systems and designed and developed new applications:
• Provided emergency room and bed management data modeling for Hartford
Hospital based on Sybase and SQL Server data.
• Designed and built Informatica ETL programs for the integration of the Emergency
Department information dashboard at Hartford Hospital.
The Hartford Windsor, Connecticut 1998 to 2010
Group Benefit Division
Data Warehouse Architect / Data Modeler / DBA / Developer
Key member of the Data Warehouse team with the following responsibilities:
• Design, development and support of the Oracle Data Warehouse (7 terabytes),
multiple Data Marts and applications:
• Gather and analyze business requirements. Worked with business partners,
business systems analysts and developers to ensure that selected solutions satisfy the
• Design logical and physical data models and data processing infrastructure,
collaborated with data subject matter experts.
• Provide production database support, enhance existing system and design and
develop new systems.
• Monitor the usage of database space and performance.
• Performance optimization of the database and applications.
• Resolve on-call issues for hundreds of production databases.
• Proactively work with other Data Warehouse team members and with the members
of other teams (business customers, analysts, developers, DBA’s and technical support
staff) to create innovative analytical solutions.
• Mentor developers and other DBA’s on the adoption of database standards and
• Methodology Development:
• Created an enhanced methodology for improving database performance that
incorporates analysis of CPU time usage and analysis of data input/output rates.
Adoption of the enhanced methodology has significantly improved performance over
traditional methods (such as SGA resize operations and tuning performance of
• Detected a pattern where Data Warehouse calculations were increasingly shifting
from regular OLTP to scientific calculations. That finding was used to properly procure
and configure new Data Warehouse servers.
• Modified the Data Warehouse release process to appear seamless to users,
eliminating shutdown and access disruption.
• Database Improvement:
• Routinely resolved some of the most complex and critical Data Warehouse
database performance issues.
• Created and architected the 2010 Plan of Development for Data Warehouse
performance improvement initiatives. The plan was implemented as a multi-project
• Improved Oracle Data Warehouse performance issues by eliminating up to 50% of
the 700 Gigabytes generated by Oracle standard CDC staged data.
• Application Performance Improvement:
• Designed new Oracle database views with Optimizer hints that enabled significant
performance improvement within Business Objects reports (in several cases report
runtime changed from 2-3 hours to a minute or less).
• Designed and implemented Oracle logon triggers to embed ‘alter session’
commands into BRIO reports that extended available memory and significantly
reduced the reports’ runtime.
• Utilized Informatica’s powerful data transferring capabilities instead of BRIO
internal tables to significantly improve the performance of the BRIO reports.
• Created a solution based on utilization of Oracle temporary tables that allows
multiple users to run the same BRIO report with different data simultaneously instead
• Automated process of terminating database users for hundreds of databases that
significantly freed up time for the DBA team.
• Wrote Perl programs that simulated DEC OS indication of file, and simulated the
“at” UNIX command for scheduling jobs in a non-accommodated environment.
• Development of standards:
• Created and facilitated the adoption of a new standard that eliminated database
links between different database environments.
• Modified standard Oracle script allowing automatic purging of StatsPack repository
Equifax / ChoicePoint Hartford, Connecticut 1995 to 1998
Programming Resources Company (PRC)
Key member of the Workers Compensation application team in support of over 40 client Insurance
• Designed, programmed and maintained a front-end Workers Compensation
application in Visual Basic. Trained and mentored new VB programmers.
• Designed the structure of the Oracle and SQL Server databases for Workers
Compensation systems. Played role of a primary PRC interface with the Microsoft team for
SQL Server projects.
• Created programs to populate, store and transfer data between databases.
Personally conceived of and implemented a new process that automated the mapping and
conversion of company source data and saved PRC over 25 million dollars.
Petrovsky Corporation Dnepropetrovsk / Moscow, USSR 1980 to 1994
Architect / Analyst / Data Modeler / Lead Developer / Manager
• Designed, developed and maintained corporate and manufacturing applications systems
and Data Warehouse for Metallurgy, Machinery-Building, Natural Gas and Pharmaceutical
• Personally developed company SDLC methodology.
• Led and mentored a team of up to 50 developers.
• Published 12 articles on data processing and math modeling in Russian scientific journals.
• Worked as part-time University instructor of Information Technology.
Data Processing School of the Metallurgical Academy, Dnepropetrovsk, USSR
Masters in Computer Science.
Graduated Summa Cum Laude, ranked first in class.