Only candidates who apply via email to (HR “at” TWDB.texas.gov) with an official State of Texas Application or through the WorkInTexas.com website will be considered for this position. View this position and apply at https://tinyurl.com/2fhvor4x
Texas Water Development Board’s Mission - Leading the state’s efforts in ensuring a secure water future for Texas and its citizens.
The Texas Water Development Board (TWDB) endorses telecommuting and hybrid workplace plans, in addition to other flexible work alternatives. We offer competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), flexible spending, and flexible work hours so you can have a work/life balance! For more information about these benefits and more visit: http://www.twdb.texas.gov/jobs/benefits.asp.
The Texas Water Development Board does not discriminate on basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, or disability in employment or provision of services, programs, or activities.
*Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
Please note: This is an Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA) program position with federal grant funding through calendar year 2027.
Job Description Summary
Performs advanced (senior-level) financial analysis and regulatory work. Work involves compiling, reviewing, analyzing, and evaluating financial data. Prepares reports and responds to inquiries, interacts, and guides applicants and their consultants during the funding process. Participates in outreach efforts to promote TWDB funding programs and recommends appropriate action to ensure all projects meet the Board’s credit standards and relevant state and federal program guidelines. May train others. Works under minimal supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgement. Reports to the Manager of the Applications and Closing Department.
Essential Job Functions
• Reviews and analyzes financial applications to ensure compliance with established procedures, requirements, laws, and regulations.
• Conducts security analysis and determines financial capacity of loan applicants.
• Ensures compliance with established procedures, completeness of data, and presence of supporting documentation.
• Coordinates and guides applicants and their consultants to obtain necessary information to analyze and prepare written recommendations for Board action.
• Participates in outreach efforts to promote TWDB financing programs.
• Participates in internal committees to represent RWPD business areas.
• Contributes and participates as a member of an inter-disciplinary team.
• Coordinates efforts associated with closings and serves as internal and external point of contact for closings.
• Oversees and/or participates in special projects as assigned by Credit Manager, Division Director, and Deputy Executive Administrator.
• Coordinates with Credit Manager on procedure updates, including updates to the internal risk scoring system and data sources.
• Reviews bond orders and setting of interest rates for loan closings.
• Represents the Board and its programs to citizen groups and governmental agencies.
• Advises internal committees to improve processes and procedures as assigned by Division Director.
• Provides support for Essential Job Functions described above for additional Team Managers due to temporary staffing conditions as assigned by Division Director.
• Assists the Credit Manager and Water Science and Instructure (WSI) management in identifying process improvements and areas within RWPD that need improvement or could be streamlined.
• Assists in onboarding and training of new Financial Analysts.
• Assists in identifying and recommending financial analyst process improvements, including participating in or leading efforts to introduce efficiencies and evaluate and implement improvements to RWPD’s project management and review systems.
• Assists in developing, implementing, and overseeing quality control measures and processes to minimize errors and the associated risks.
• Assists Credit Manager and Team Lead in reviewing and preparing procedures and guidelines and in conducting training as necessary.
• Assist Team Lead with peer reviewing applicants of lower credit quality.
• Assist Team Lead in overseeing the daily operation of the team, including coordinating the team’s leave schedule, presenting project updates as needed, and providing technical direction and guidance
• Works proactively to identify potential problems or issues and takes necessary actions or makes recommendations to avoid, minimize, or mitigate problems.
• Promotes an environment that encourages teamwork, accountability, professional development, and improvement in performance.
• Maintains confidential and sensitive information.
• Ensures individual and team files (electronic and hard versions) are appropriately maintained and timely disposed of in accordance with the agency’s records retention procedures and schedule
• Maintains required certifications and licenses and meets the continuing education needs and requirements of the position to include, attending mandatory training courses.
• May be required to operate a state or personal vehicle for business purposes.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, Economics, or a related field.
• Four years of financial analysis and/or regulatory experience.
• Relevant experience and education may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
• Experience with municipal finance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
• Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to the RWPD Department, and of the principles and practices of public administration.
• Knowledge of TWDB financial assistance programs.
• Knowledge of finance administration and public finance.
• Knowledge of financial and industry terminology and practices.
• Knowledge of operating computers, software applications, and peripheral devices.
• Knowledge of financial analyses and examination procedures for regulated entities, of financial and industry terminology and practices, and of statistical analysis
• Skills in using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and Access.
• Skills in use of internet, email, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software.
• Skills in preparing and maintaining accurate records, reports, documents, correspondence and meeting deadlines.
• Skills in the use of a computer and applicable software.
• Skills in data modeling.
• Ability to adhere to work schedules, follow procedures with respect to leave and submit accurate timesheets by prescribed deadlines.
• Ability to make mature, objective decisions and identify areas of potential problems.
• Ability to perform effectively and willingly when changes occur in scope and nature of the work and work environment.
• Ability to perform routine and non-routine work assignments accurately and on-time with little or no supervision.
• Ability to perform assigned duties and improve work habits and/or output.
• Ability to complete assigned work, on time, neatly and with infrequent errors.
• Ability to interpret policies, procedures, and regulations.
• Ability to provide prompt, courteous and accurate assistance, and clear and concise communication to internal and external stakeholders both verbally and in writing., to include public speaking.
• Ability to work and cooperate with others in a team environment.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks.
• Ability to stand/sit/move with no physical limitations or aids to perform activities such as retrieve/replace files in a large file system for boxes up to 30 lbs.
• Ability and willingness to travel 5% of the time, primarily within the State of Texas.
• Ability to operate a vehicle (state or personal) for state business and maintain a driver’s license and driving record that complies with state and agency requirements.
• Ability to work days that may exceed 8 hours, including early mornings, nights, and weekends.
• Ability to train others.
• Ability to perform and interpret numerical analyses
• Ability to prepare special reports, budgets utilizing in-house software programs.
• Ability to meet deadlines and respond appropriately to customers’ needs and special requests.
• Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing, including public speaking.
• Ability to be self-motivated and to work under general direction with latitude for use of independent judgment.
• Ability to convey clear and concise oral and written communication to various audiences effectively.
• Ability to interpret rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.