Laboratory Specimen Processor
Location: Austin, TX 78728
- Responsible for data entry and lab assistant duties.
- Maintains departmental operating policies and procedures to include departmental programs, quality control, quality assurance and safety.
- Reviews receipt of specimen’s receipt from all patient service centers, in-office phlebotomists and clients.
- Ensures all specimens are processed, data entered and shipped in accordance with company guidelines and meets shipment deadlines.
- Takes remedial action when indicated.
- Maintains the following Departmental Programs:
- Maintains policies and procedures for specimen processing and data entry tasks.
- Maintains departmental quality assurance and quality control programs.
- Follows and enforces all safety, infection control and OSHA Blood borne Pathogen guidelines.
- Utilizes technical skills and abilities to process and data enter lab requests:
- Follow lab procedure for specimen processing.
- Correctly identifies proper tubes, containers, transport media and storage temperatures for each test type.
- Determines specimen acceptability, consulting with supervisor, technologist or pathologist as needed, taking appropriate action when necessary.
- Follows all departmental policies and procedures related to data entry.
- Accurately enters all required information presented on SRL or client specific requisitions into the laboratory information system.
- Understands and recognizes laboratory information system alerts and flags and takes the appropriate action.
- Recognizes when information presented on requisitions is unclear and ambiguous and knows and follows corrective actions to be taken.
- Utilizes resources to answer inquiries for basic customer related issues and recognizes personal limitations and seeks guidance when needed.
- Utilizes personal and professional skills to promote successful relationships with management, supervisors, subordinates, co-workers, and clients:
- Communicates with staff to ensure highest level quality of work for each specimen received.
- Strives to maintain a positive and harmonious work environment.
- Maintains and supports a service-oriented relationship with clients and all other employees.
- Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information relative to clients and patients.
- Follows all company policies and procedures.
- Enthusiastically performs miscellaneous duties with completion in a designated time frame.
- High School Diploma
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical reports.
- Ability to write accurate and concise clinical documents, memos and required correspondence.
- Ability to collect and analyze data using statistical methods.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the laboratory and with laboratory customers.
- Typing skills; proficiency with 10 keys.
- Preferred Two years of laboratory training or experience in specimen collection and processing.
- Data entry experience in a production environment.