Systems/Database Engineer-Washington, D.C.
Job Title: Systems/Database Engineer
The amount of database works is actually 50% or less, the rest being application engineering (support, installation, integration, etc.)
Job Summary: This position is responsible for maintaining, enhancing and supporting the firm’s various database intensive applications, such as DMS, Accounting, CRM and related systems. The Systems Engineer will draw upon his/her problem solving, critical thinking and technical skills to analyze and resolve customer challenges, develop best practice methods, provide analytical data/reports and ensure customer success. This is a customer facing role so excellent communication and people skills are required. In addition, a positive attitude, rigorous work habit, and professionalism in the work place are a must as well as strong analytical, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Strategy & Planning
· Participate in planning, development, and implementation of upgrades, new modules and related applications.
· Devise, develop, and deploy required data queries in response to business user needs.
· In conjunction with data owners and department managers, develop data models and protocols for mining production databases.
Acquisition & Deployment
· Conduct research, assist in evaluation, and make recommendations on various software products.
· Act as a subject matter expert and primary technical contact for all database intensive systems including DMS (iManage), Accounting (Elite), CRM (InterAction) and various Intapp systems and related processes.
· Recognize patterns in reported incidents, diagnose underlying root causes and devise timely and effective resolutions as necessary.
· Document all systems, processes and procedures in a timely, clear and concise manner.
· Monitor and follow up with customers after resolution of complex technical issues to ensure integrity of solutions.
· Attend seminars and training in a variety of formats to enhance technical skills.
· Utilize SQL query tools to perform frequent data analysis across various systems, providing clear and accurate data to business users.
· Create, or support creation of, required reports and queries in response to business user needs.
· Install and configure relevant network components to ensure database access as well as database consistency and integrity.
· Plan and coordinate data migrations between systems.
· Develop, implement, and maintain change control and testing processes for modifications to applications.
· Establish appropriate end-user application access control levels.
· Develop and program routine scripts in a common programming language.
· College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science or related discipline and 6+ years equivalent work experience.
Knowledge & Experience
· Ability to quickly learn how to implement and manage new applications, systems and related technologies.
· Ability to manage multiple high priority projects and initiatives simultaneously.
· Strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
· Experience with web-based databases both on-prem and in the cloud.
· Experience with accounting software & document management systems; Elite 3E and iManage preferred as well as Intapp products
· Programming experience preferably including some web development and Windows Powershell scripting.
· Experience with Windows Server and VMware.
· Project management experience.
· Ability to conduct research into database issues, standards, and products as required.
· Law firm experience needed
· Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
· Good written and oral communication skills.
· Strong technical documentation skills.
· Ability to interact with customers and team members employing a high degree of tact, diplomacy and professionalism.
· Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
· Highly self-motivated and directed.
· Keen attention to detail.
· Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
· Strong customer service orientation.
· Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.