Ocean Associates, Inc. is looking for a Computer Programmer to work with National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC). The Computer Programmer will work directly with staff in the NEFSC Population Dynamics Branch (PDB) on the Stock Assessment Efficiency Initiative (StockEff) project.
Currently, PDB scientists compile multiple sources of data for use in stock assessments that estimate the number of fish in the population and the scientific basis for management decisions. There are numerous sets of data that must be handled with many decisions made about how missing or incomplete information is used. This process is currently known only to the lead scientist for each stock. The Stock Assessment Efficiency Initiative (StockEff) project has begun to track the many decisions made during data compilation to make stock assessments reproducible. This effort has been a part-time project for all StockEff participants and other priorities have prevented completion of the project. The databases used are undergoing a large change at the end of this year, and modifications to code will be needed to ensure a smooth transition to the new system. The Computer Programmer will assist with the completion of the current system and make it compatible with the new databases.
The task includes but is not limited to these duties:
- Modifying current SQL, SAS, and R code to create databases in StockEff to address remaining tasks.
- Working closely with current StockEff participants and soon-to-be-hired Project Manager to ensure accurate reflection of lead scientists decisions are captured in StockEff for all stocks.
- Developing new modules to interact with PHP code for inputting new decisions.
- Developing new code to present summaries and diagnostics of the data compilation process for each stock.
- Documenting data inputs and processes within StockEff.
- Working with StockEff participants to develop data management and visualization tools, including gathering/defining user requirements and performing user testing.
- Organizing workshops to demonstrate properties of StockEff to PDB staff.
Start Date: As soon as possible. The position is expected to be full-time for one year.
Location: Woods Hole, MA. The position may begin with a period of remote work, to accommodate pandemic restrictions.
Salary and Benefits: Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefit package.
Qualifications and Skills
The Computer Programmer must:
- Possess demonstrated experience in SQL, SAS, and R programming languages.
- Be capable of working as part of a team.
- Possess demonstrated understanding of database systems.
- Possess experience in code migration, version control, and data management in multiple environments and different stages of the development life cycle.
- Possess the ability to manage large datasets, query, extract, and organize data in useful ways to reduce performance related issues.
- Possess experience with data backup, data recovery, data dictionaries, and data standardization processes.
- Possess the ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines with flexibility between tasks.
- Have a track record of ensuring performance, security, integrity, and availability of databases.
- Implement and integrate security standards set by the NOAA/NMFS/ Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO).
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills.
If you are interested in being considered for this position, please APPLY THROUGH OUR CAREER CENTER LOCATED ON OUR WEBSITE AT WWW. OCEANASSOC .COM (remove spaces in link), click Careers and then Job Openings.
Only qualified applicants that meet minimum experience or background requirements stated above need apply. When applying for this position you will be asked to upload your resume at the end of this online application.
Applicants should submit a resume that includes the following:
Cover letter that briefly describes how you meet the required and preferred qualifications listed.
Work history for past 10 years or since last full-time education.
Previous experience or training with similar requirements.
Three professional references.
Include your name in the document file name.
Upload your resume in readable, not scanned, PDF or Word format (PDF is preferred).
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States, complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire, and successfully complete a federal government background check. Ocean Associates Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law.
OAI is a government contractor and is required by law to invite applicants to self-identify their race, gender, national origin, disability status and veteran status. OAI is required to use the information it collects as part of its future affirmative action efforts in hiring. The information is collected anonymously by computer and is not connected to your application. You will see a place to check certain boxes in OAI's online application. Even though the information is anonymous, self-identification is voluntary. You can always check the box that says you decline to self-identify.
Note: If you are not selected, your materials may be retained for present or future opportunities. We may use your resume in bidding on a project and if we are awarded the work we will contact you before seeking further applicants. If you do not wish us to retain or use your resume to seek work for you, please let us know in the "Notes" section on the second page of the online application.