Duration: 12+ Months
The database developer is responsible for the design and development of database objects and procedural code to support various products for the organization. The database developer also creates programs to populate and maintain the data in the department’s transaction processing and data warehousing systems. This involves the creation of ETL programs along with the supporting stored procedures, functions, triggers, and constraints. The position requires extensive hands-on experience developing database queries, ETL, and associated code in a Microsoft SQL Server environment.
Specific Duties, Activities, and Responsibilities
• Understand and apply database design and development principles for both transactional and dimensional schemas to support application requirements.
• Design, plan, and develop programs to optimally extract, transform, and load data from data sources to the target systems.
• Maintain source code for database and ETL projects. Ensure that projects build successfully in a continuous integration environment.
• Develop or modify procedures to solve complex database design problems, including performance, scalability, security and integration issues.
• Troubleshooting and tuning complex SQL statements and making recommendations on indexing strategies.
• Follow and improve development processes including but not limited to conducting peer/code reviews, complying with organizational standards, ensuring code maintainability, following build processes, implementing unit tests, and following other industry standard best practices.
• Troubleshoot issues in an efficient and systematic manner to identify and resolve underlying causes as well as take a proactive approach to solving problems creatively using available resources.
• Support of production systems.
• Work with peers to prioritize and complete daily tasks and Production issues.
• Participate in daily team stand-ups, planning sessions, etc.
Education or Equivalent
• BS in Computer Science or Information Systems
• 8+ years of experience working with Microsoft SQL Server with emphasis on database code development
• Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Requirements
• Database design skills including normalization and data warehouse design
• Strong T-SQL development skills including stored procedure, function, and trigger creation
• Excellent query optimization and performance tuning skills
• Strong SSIS skills
• Detailed analytical skills
• Structured troubleshooting skills
Preferred to have
• Experience with data modeling tools such as ER/Studio or ERWin
• Experience using version control systems (e.g., TFS, Git)
• Familiar with Agile software development process
• Working experience with Azure DB technologies and Azure deployments is a plus
• Experience in the healthcare industry is a plus
• Microsoft SQL Server 2012 and above
• Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
• Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
• Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 and above
• Embarcadero ER/Studio is a plus
The database developer will be additionally responsible for the following tasks:
• Analyzing requirements in order to create software designs
• Estimation and timely completion of tasks
• Documenting developed modules
• Supporting application developers and software testers