Full-time Cancer Genetic Counselor needed in Texas!
Cancer Genetic Counselor
Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm
The Genetic Counselor creates, develops and implements specialized clinical practice in the specific area of oncology and genetics. Provides genetic counseling for appropriate patients and family members. Serves as a clinical resource person in the area of oncology genetics, and serves as a liaison throughout the facility and in the community regarding services provided for this unique patient population.
Genetic Counselor Job Responsibilities:
- Establish a cancer genetic counseling practice for hereditary cancer families.
- Gather and review pertinent medical records, take a family pedigree and medical history and interpretation of same.
- Provide information about the medical genetic diagnosis, etiology, inheritance patterns, and risk of occurrence and reoccurrence.
- Collaborate with referring physician and develop a counseling summary.
- Develop education and outreach programs.
- Develop a research infrastructure that will facilitate on-going research.
Cancer Genetic Counselor Job Requirements:
* Education: Master’s Degree in Genetic Counseling
* Licensure/Certification/Registration: Certified genetic counselor, or eligible to take the genetic counseling boards with the contingency of passing boards within one year.
* Experience: At least one year of experience in cancer genetic counseling preferred, but not required.
* Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Expertise in risk assessment counseling and constructing a detailed pedigree. Ability to establish the relevancy of genetic information and evaluate eligibility for genetic testing. Ability to work independently and function as a part of an interdisciplinary oncology team to continuously improve the process to enhance patient outcomes. Effective communication and problem solving skills. Knowledge base in adult learning theory. Able to apply knowledge to education offerings. Participation in committees related to cancer.
Offering competitive compensation and complete benefits!
For more information, please submit your resume for review.