With over ten years in the technical industry, and with over five years of teaching at the college and university levels, in both online and onsite environments, I bring a wealth of valuable skills and experience. This includes excellent Geographic Information Systems (GIS) project management, team collaboration and team building, persuasive public speaking and client interfacing with strong business acumen at all organizational levels. My strengths and talents comprise effective leadership, big-picture business focus, finding creative and efficient solutions, and clearly presenting complex information, all with a strong work ethic. I also have extensive experience working with demographic, business, and traffic data and data vendors.
Creator of a new Business GIS Certificate program, Present
Mesa College, San Diego, CA
Presented idea to the Dean of the School of Business & Technology; I am now working with the Department Chair and another professor to create this program in a way that will be highly visible in the business intelligence industry. My initial tasks are:
• Program and team management, conducting meetings with business leaders to assess industry needs, and developing online curriculum.
Client Advisor/Sales, 2011
Geoscape International, Miami, FL and San Diego, CA
• Business Intelligence advisor (technical and data sales) for CPG, Retail, and Entertainment industry clients.
• Developed leads at trades shows and conferences.
• Successfully serviced a major client with a nationwide consumer goods distribution study.
Product Engineer and Product Management Team Member, 2007-2011
Esri, Business Analyst Products, Redlands and La Jolla, CA
I was in charge of optimizing the speed of the Business Analyst desktop product, managing the cartographic (geo-mapping) design of the product, managing the metadata for all of the Business Analyst data, managing all updated data, cleaning the data, tracking changes in the data from year to year, and making the data compliant with all of the Business Analyst products. Some of my accomplishments are as follows:
• Partnered with the cartographic team on the cartographic design, improved the readability of the product, and transformed the product look to modern and "smart".
• Ran quantitative speed tests of the desktop product, simplified embedded data queries and "massaged" the data, managed cartographic scale-dependencies to improve the product speed, and documented steps and findings for future updates.
• Collaborated with the data team and vendors to ensure the data was compliant and in line with project goals.
• Managed the metadata creation for all Business Analyst data, coordinated with management and data vendors to make sure all legal information (copyrights, disclosures, etc.) were included in the documentation, and coordinated with the data team to make sure data processing steps were documented.
• Interfaced with the Business Analyst Enterprise and Online teams to implement the above changes into all of the Business Analyst products.
The Business Analyst Desktop product became 77% faster, easier to use, and looked "smart" - all changes that clients and users found extremely desirable. Overall, users became more confident in the Business Analyst products, and increased the product’s high-profile not only within Esri but in the GIS industry.
GIS Consultant and Contractor, 2003-2007
Provided GIS consultation, data-mining, and cartographic (geo-mapping) services. My clients were:
• EVAL Corporation, Aliso Viejo, CA (2006-2007).
• Nielsen Claritas (Formerly Claritas), San Diego, CA (2005-2006).
• Missions Atlas Project, San Clemente, CA (2003-2004 and 2005-2006).
QA and GIS Services, 2001-2003
Stewart Geo Technologies, Irvine, CA
Consulted on aerial mapping and GIS services. My accomplishments include:
• Mapping consultation for environmental litigation for a law firm in Northern California.
• Streamlined the QA processes and created cost-saving QA protocols for ortho-rectified mapping.
Adjunct Professor, 2007-Present
The courses I currently teach include Regional Geography, Geology, Oceanography, and Geographic Information Systems. The schools and districts at which I have taught are:
• San Diego Community College District, San Diego, CA (onsite and online, 2007-2009 and Present).
• National University, San Diego, CA (onsite and online, 2010-Present).
• Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ (online, Present)
• Southwestern College District, National City and Chula Vista, CA (onsite, 2009-2010).
• California State University San Marcos, San Marcos, CA (onsite, 2007).
Master of Science, Geography/Geographic Information Science, 2006
San Diego State University
• 3.9 GPA.
• Inducted into Phi Kappa Phi and Phi Beta Delta Honor Societies.
• 2006 Cotton-Bridges Award for The Most Outstanding GIS Student Emphasizing Techniques.
• Team Coordinator and co-author of three GIS projects.
• Internship with The Omega Group.
Bachelor of Arts, Geography, 1998
California State University, Long Beach
• Studies in Physical Geography, Regional Geography, Biogeography, Oceanography, and Marine Biology.
• One-year study abroad in Tübingen, Germany at Eberhard-Karls Universität.
Professional Project Management Certificate Program, Present
San Diego State University
• Currently enrolled in the certification program in preparation for the PMI/PMP certification.
Expected PMP certification in the Spring of 2013.
Blackboard Certified, 2012
San Diego Community College District
• Professional certification course for online college teaching.
SOFTWARE EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
• Access – intermediate.
• Adobe Photoshop – expert.
• ArcGIS – expert.
• ArcGIS Business Analyst – expert.
• Blackboard – intermediate/expert
• Excel – expert.
• Internet (IE, Firefox, etc.) – expert.
• MapInfo – intermediate/expert.
• MS Word – expert.
• Power Point – expert.
• SPSS – working knowledge.
• Exposure to R statistical software.