Brian A. Miles
Houston, TX 77007
Experienced Electrical Engineer recognized for innovation, flexibility and adaptability during changing business conditions. Solid knowledge and experience in power system analysis and design. Excellent project management skills complimented with proficient oral and written communication skills. Exceptional ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams and vendors to achieve project goals under challenging timelines.
M.S. Electrical Engineering, Thesis Topic: Planning Challenges of Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle (PHEV) Charging on Distribution Feeders; Tennessee Technological University, Cookeville, TN, 2010
B.S. Electrical Engineering, Auburn University – Auburn, Alabama, December 2004
PROFESSIONAL EMPLOYMENT EXPERIENCE
Project Manager, Eaton Corporation, Houston, Texas (October 2010 – Present)
● Provide full-range power engineering services to support turnkey projects for industrial clients.
● Manage project budgets, schedules, and prepare serve a key interface with client.
● Orient project execution towards improving the business unit profitability and maintaining client satisfaction by monitoring, controlling, and securing the project’s triple constraints.
● Promote project management and interpersonal skills of team members.
● Coordinate field service engineering and technical assistance to customers in the areas of installation, testing, start-up, maintenance, repair, and modification of power distribution equipment for petrochemical facilities.
● Provide electrical consultation for industrial manufacturing facilities.
● Develop and implement standards to maintain a consistent corporate philosophy on electrical systems.
● Collaborate with customer engineering teams to maintain long-term plans for equipment replacements and upgrades.
● Provide construction management services such as: ordering various materials, tracking contractor equipment and schedules, and monitoring installation quality.
● Attend project pre-bid meetings to collect field data for project proposals. This data is also used for cost estimating and subcontractor work scope development.
Served as Lead Project Manager for the following projects:
● Huntsman Chemicals – Port Neches, TX – turnkey 69kV switchyard bay expansion project valued approximately 6 million. EPC project consists of extending bus supports, installing cable tray and 69kV cable, installing breakers and switches along with SEL relay protection panels. Project also included a prefabricated integrated power assembly (IPA) to house Eaton switchgear and motor control centers.
● LyondellBasell – Mont Belvieu, TX – turnkey 12.47kV substation project for the electrical supply of motors within caverns in underground salt domes to store various feedstocks and refined products. Project valued at approximately 3 million, which included switchgear, motor control centers, overhead poles and switches, power transformers, cable tray and CLX cable, and automatic transfer switches for plant distribution system upgrade.
● Nextera Energy – Paris, TX – GE Mark Ve turbine controls crosstie project utilizing switching schemes to improve reliability and startup capabilities. Project is first OEM aftermarket turbine controls crosstie project in US. Project valued at approximately 3 million included PLC panels, thousands of feet of control wiring, power cable for switch operations, and a massive underground ductbank installation.
● ConocoPhillips – Bartlesville, OK – Engineer, Procurement and Construction (EPC) to replace existing switchgear and conduct Arc Flash Studies for data center.
● Dupont – Orange, TX – turnkey 13.8kV substation project valued at approximately 2.5 million to replace 20MVA power transformer, bus duct, motor control centers, and switchgear within Ethylene Plant at Sabine River Works site.
Engineer, CenterPoint Energy, Houston, Texas (March 2009 – September 2010)
● Project design for numerous projects consisting of site surveys, estimating, design implementation, CAD coordination, contractor work scope creation, contractor coordination, scheduling, and commissioning.
● System planning for smart grid device installations.
● Perform circuit analysis of the 12kV, 35kV, and 69kV distribution voltage levels using CYME/CYMDIST modeling software for loading, voltage, reactive power, reliability and current coordination.
● Develop system planning studies for distribution development projects.
● Properly utilize planning studies and reports to generate project justification while creating necessary budget items for management approval.
● Prepare cost estimates for substation development plans.
● Study load growth impacts by substation and service area.
● Provide technical support to service area consultants for new load requests.
● Initiate Special and Technical Conditions Specifications for contract projects.
● Provide project engineering package for issue to construction crews.
Project Engineer, Nashville Electric Service, Nashville, Tennessee (January 2005 – March 2009)
● Coordinate with vendors and suppliers for construction material upgrades.
● Provide technical support to crews during construction phase of utility projects
● Manage road widening and substation feeder projects by providing engineering and construction support while promoting safety throughout each project phase.
● Strategically improve utility projects by conducting quality analysis, which includes identifying cost savings, improving turn-around times, and promoting reliability and safety measures.
● Create construction drawings with AUTOCAD software for commercial and residential developments.
● Surveying leader for utility relocations in conjunction with city and state projects.
● Model 3-D transmission and distribution circuits with PLS-CADD software for planning and structural analysis.
● Establish project cost estimates with ELLIPSE work management for underground and overhead circuits.
● Ensure compliance with National Electric Safety Code (NESC) standards and guidelines throughout construction designs.
Electrical Engineer Co-op, US Army Corps of Engineers, Mobile, AL, Chatsworth, GA, West Point, GA (May 2003 – August 2004)
● Analyze pump storage production for Hydropower plants.
● Create power usage reports for annual production goals.
● Design schematics for power transformers, motor control centers and protective relays using Microstation software.
● Assist electricians in the installation of new switchgear, breakers and relays.
ENGINEERING SOFTWARE SKILLS
● Power Line Systems Computer Aided Drafting (PLS-CADD)
● Cymdist, Distribution System Analysis
● Feederall by ABB
● Easy Power
● Power System Analysis Toolbox (PSAT)
● AUTOCAD Map 3-D
● Windmill by Millsoft
● Ellipse Work Management Software (Cost Estimating)