Jerold E. Slagel
Cleveland, IL 61241
Self-motivated and results driven business leader, with Managerial, Project Management, Field Engineering, Solutions Engineering and Network Planning expertise. 25 years of field experience working for and with National and International Telecommunication Providers and Construction Organizations. Expertise in network design, engineering, permitting, vendor management, customer relations, property acquisitions, constructing Fiber Optic Networks (OSP, ISP and Campus environments), Copper and CATV Backbones and Building Laterals and Traffic Control to insure proper utilization of company fiber optic assets. Extensive ISP experience to include; an understanding of AC and DC Power, Station cabling, Data Center build outs, Collocation facilities, Vertical and Horizontal Riser builds. Well recognized for reducing installation/operational costs and the development of Engineering and Safety Training Programs. Quality focused team player with an emphasis on meeting departmental and customer objectives.
Extensive interaction with vendors and networking organizations
Business focused professional with strong network OSP engineering background
Extensive knowledge of most major metro networks, including the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland, Phoenix, Denver, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Chicago, and Virginia/DC Area
Engineered and Built major Fiber and Copper Backbone Networks throughout the Pacific Northwest
Engineered and Built Local Area Networks for software and hardware manufacturing companies, education, healthcare, financial, manufacturing, and government agencies.
Certified in Fiber, Copper and CATV splicing, testing and termination.
Trained in Lightwave Transport Equipment Technologies and customer termination equipment
Thorough understanding of quality requirements and subsequent updates, standards and ISO audits.
Negotiated and work directly with FDA, OSHA, EPA, Local, Environmental, State and Federal Agencies.
Worked Directly with Right of Way and Land Acquisition Departments
Worked directly with Sr. Vice President of Operations, Senior Planning and Business Development Personnel on the design, engineering and construction of highly sensitive projects.
PROFESSIONAL AND FIELD EXPERIENCE
ABOVENET – Dallas Texas/Chicago, Il 01/07 to 06/12
Network Planning Engineer Central/Western United States(Chicago, Dallas, Houston and Austin)
Initially accepted into the Network Planning Team as the SME for the Western United States to develop and complete the AboveNet Networks in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Seattle, Portland, Denver Markets and later assigned to the Central United States to utilize my professional expertise in the growth of AboveNet Network throughout the Central Region to include Chicago, Dallas, Houston.
Work assignments are to include/not limited to:
• Develop City Plans
• Write and submit Capital Planning Letters to justify and fund Network Growth to include developing budgets for customer related new builds and overbuilds for entrance and riser cables in tier 1cities and rural environments
• Write and submit Capital Planning letters for new construction and overbuilds projects to include budget forecasts and fiber cable compositions (TW, AW percentages ect.)
• Review asbuilts and insure all the AboveNet Standards and Processes have been adhered to
• Monitor cable capacities (backbone, entrance and riser cables)
• Developed Project Capital budget expenditures for next year expenditures
• Prioritizing Capital Budgets
• Work with Strategic Alliance in acquiring third party fiber/duct leases and network purchases
• Insure diversity for all backbone and customers builds
• Work with Sales and Sales Engineering in developing business cases for market expansion and customer project analysis’s
• Work with upper management on mission critical projects
• Training and reviewing new Planning Engineer projects
• Review and Interpret Right of Way and Building Access Agreements
• Review and Approve asbuilt documentation and fiber test results
• Monitor Project expenses and request budget increases as necessary
• As a Team Network Planning developed the AboveNet Build Process and Procedures Handbook
ABOVENET - Dallas Texas 12/05 to 01/07
Solutions Fiber Engineer -- Central and Western United States
As AboveNet’s business plans evolved causing the restructuring of various groups and their responsibilities I was retained by the Director of NDT (Network Design Team) to fill one of three new positions in the company as a Solutions Engineer, as the SME (Subject Matter Expert), for the Central and the Western United States in respect to the designing and implementation of customer networks.
• Review and approve internal and external customer building adds
• Manage third party network components into design, maintaining end to end network integrity
• Review and approve construction costs
• Understand and resolve Customer Network diversity issues
• Work with Sales Engineering, Regional Fiber Teams and the AboveNet Planning Department
• Work with Sales and Sales Engineering to develop custom build requirements
• Work with Finance to develop a true cost analysis for customer builds
ABOVENET - San Jose, CA 05/04 to 12/05
Network Design Engineer - West Region
Recruited to Design New Customer Networks, Identify Network Diversity Issues, Work with the various Local Operation teams in resolving the identified diversity and latency issues.
• Work Directly with Local Operations in creating customer network Final Designs
• Work with Sales and Sales Engineers in respect to designing customer specific networks for Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook, LinkedIn and many others
• Work with third party network providers for access and budgeting
• Identify and assist in the resolution of Network Documentation issues
• Build Network Diversity Matrixes
Primary Area of Responsibility:
California, Washington, Oregon, Arizona
Secondary Area of Responsibility:
Texas, Illinois, Georgia, Colorado, DC, VA and Maryland
STANDARD AMERICAN ENGINEERING – San Lorenzo, CA 09/03 – 03/04
Design & Field Engineer/Outside Project Manager
Recruited to field review, bid and project manage multiple OSP/ISP projects for various telecommunication providers, Looking Glass Networks, Time Warner Communications, AT&T, Broadwing, MCI, Comcast, Mastec (Verizon Projects), Bay Bridge Consortium (Bay Bridge Fiber Optic Relocation Project), Project, Network Design Consultant for eXchange.
• Project manage Multiple Customer Projects (Provide Engineering Packages for RFQs, Estimates, Time Lines and Turn-over documentation)
• Work with city, county, state, federal officials and inspectors
• Inside and Outside Plant designs and architecture
• Outside Plant – Design, Engineer and Construct Aerial and Underground for Fiber Optic, Copper and CATV Networks.
• Inside Plant – Design, Engineer and Construct Horizontal and Vertical Chases (Conduit and Cable Ladders) in open area, above ceiling and raised floor environments
MCI/WorldCom – San Ramon, CA 09/97 – 08/03
Manager/OSP-ISP Sr. Engineer
• 2 million dollar operating budget 25 million dollar Construction Budget
• 9 Field Engineers Administrative staff
• Utility Locate Contractors Splicing Contractors
• Multiple ISP and OSP Engineering and Construction Contractors
• Qualify and manage multiple ISP and OSP contractors
Geographical Area Of Responsibility:
Pacific North Territory inclusive of Northern California, Northern Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Colorado and Arizona.
• Implementing and managing the contractor bidding process
• Direct Sales Support
• Network Emergency Restoration
• Government required Adds, Moves and Changes
• Single and multi-tenant building Adds and Diverse Entrances
• Design and Build Infrastructures for single, multi-tenant POPs, Central Offices, Nodes, Carrier Neutral Exchange Facilities and Customer-Restricted Collocations. Inclusive of Equipment Racks, Cable Ladders, Horizontal and Vertical Chases for single story and high rise buildings.
• Design, Engineer and Manage Installation of AC power and stand alone DC power plants.
• Coordinate with Facility Administration/Operations on Testing and Acceptance of customer service and internal inner connects.
• Manage Project Teams to include: Inside Plant Equipment, AC/DC Power and Infrastructure Engineers, Outside Plant Field Engineers, Permitting and Environmental Regulatory Groups.
• Conduct Weekly Construction Progress meetings with Field Engineers, Sales and Customers
• Worked with various internal groups and initiated changes in national policies and procedures.
• Verify contractors daily and weekly reports
• Review and interpret OSHA Specifications. Environmental Policies and Procedures.
• Inspect and prepare Improvement Plans with Administrators and maintain Customer Timelines
• Approve Capital Dollar Expenditures for network expansions by creating, reviewing and approving detailed engineering plans and estimates to support the proposed expansions/customer networks
• Initiate and Coordinate Joint Build, Third Party Structure Asset Swaps and Purchases with the Contract Administration Group.
• Coordinate with the Right Of Way Group in the Acquisitions of Private Easements, City, County, State and Federal Permitting.
Personal Accomplishments at MCI / WorldCom:
• Designed, Engineered and Built the integration of the various WorldCom, MFS, Brooks’ Fiber and MCI Networks.
• Initiated and worked directly with MCI/WorldCom’s Regulatory Committee and Legal Staff in developing the National Environmental Review Process.
• Designed, Engineered and Built the MCI South San Jose Ring, consisting of 32 miles of new network (10,944 Fiber miles, 288 Duct miles) 350 Manholes, 9 River Crossings, 3 Railroad Crossings and multiple joint build agreements to include coordination of the Guadalupe River Crossing at Julian Street in San Jose with Santa Clara Valley Water District Flood Control Project and the Core of Engineers.
• Designed and Developed National TBAR Document (Telecom Business Analysis Request)
• Built Local Tech Training Center and prepared Local Field Engineer Training Program
COMPLUS – Dublin, CA 06/97 – 09/97
• Bid and manage multiple OSP/ISP Projects for various telecommunication providers TCG, MFS/WorldCom, AT&T, TCI, ICG, MCI City of Palo Alto.
• Projects consisted of Design, Engineer, Permit and Construct new and/or overbuild networks (aerial, underground and splicing).
• Perform maintenance of the various networks on a contracted basis
VECTOR RESOURCE - San Leandro, CA 12/96 – 06/97
• Engineered/Administered multiple ISP projects which involved all aspects of ISP cable installation and termination for copper and fiber optic interface .
• Material Procurement
• Performed initial job walks and estimating
• Assisted customers in the designing and engineering of station cabling, telecom rooms and riser management.
UNDERGROUND CONSTRUCTION – Benicia, CA 1995 – 1996
Lead Tech – Fiber Optics
FIBER COP TECHNOLOGIES – San Leandro, CA 1992 – 1995
PEDERSEN COMMUNICATIONS – Fremont, CA 1987 – 1992
Project Manager/Safety Manager/ Corporate Fleet Manager
EDUCATION / SPECIALIZED TRAINING
Black Hawk College, Moline, IL Studied for Associates Degree in Labor Studies
CERTIFICATES OF COMPLETION
Fujitsu Lightwave Multiplexer FLM 4200 Turn up and Maintenance Course C-640, 1999
PAC BELL/SBC Network Installation Quality Assurance Collocation Installation, 1999
ANSI/EIA/TIA 568-A, 569, TSB 67 and 606 Training, 1997
MCI Fiber Splicing, 1996
Horizontal Boring 1995 and 2004
Broadband – Splicing, Terminating and Testing – 1995
Acterna Monitoring System Certification
Computer Skills and Proficiencies
Microsoft Word, Excel, Visio, Power Point
FRAS (Fiber Reservation and Assignment System), Fiber Mile Database
JDSU Fiber Monitoring System Circuit Design and Turn-up
Professional References Available upon Request