JULIE M. MORAN / Resume
Government Non-Profit Corporate
ACCOUNTING, AUDITING, FINANCIAL / BUDGET ANALYST AND BUSINESS MANAGEMENT PROFESSIONAL ... cross-functional competencies in all phases of accounting, information systems and general business management. Proficient in implementing, managing and developing financial reports and controls with experience using wide range of information systems and technologies. Independent worker with ability to contribute as a team player and interface with professionals on all levels. Expertise includes:
• GAAP Accounting / Financial Reporting systems (Microsoft Dynamics GP, Fund EZ, QuickBooks, Navision, SAP)
• Payroll Administration (ADP, Paychex)
• Asset Management Systems (JD Edwards)
• Budgets and Cost Controls
• Strategic Business Planning; Pro-forma Financial Models; Ratio, Variance Analysis
• Inventory Control / Purchasing
• Risk Assessment, Audits, Reviews (TeamMate, ACL)
• Operating Database Systems (SQL, Oracle, Access, Lotus Paradox)
• Grant and Professional, Technical Writing
Hudson Valley Hikers, New York, NY 12/2008 - present
Manager of Social Network Activities
• Manager of Social Network Activities: Create on-line activities, including trip data, maps, images and plans; informational links; event calendar and email communication.
• On-Line Business Project Leader: Creating social networking marketing / advertising business model and dynamic / linked web content for new not-for-profit on-line business.
• Hike Leader: Provide equipment and guidance for long-range mountain hikes.
New York State Office Of Victim Services, 1 Columbia Circle, Suite 200, Albany, NY 12203 08/2005 - 11/2009
• Authorized $10 million Annual Grant Investments: Local governments, not-for-profits.
• Manage Grant / Contract Cycle: RFP review, contract renewal / vendor assessment, budget review, cost analysis, payment authorization, financial statement analysis, audit investigation / risk assessment.
• Analyze Grantee Service Provider Budgets, Expenditures: Optimize support, grant leverage for victim advocacy programs; analysis of variable, fixed costs, outlier data, program gaps and appropriate staff roles.
• Created New Field Training Program: Assist grantee fiscal personnel to complete required reports, resolve operational and fiscal questions / conflicts.
• Initiated, Performed Risk Assessments, Field Audits: Targeting grantee contractors facing accounting, financial difficulties or random selection. Created attestation questions and audit routines; manage group efforts using TeamMate audit software; used Comptroller Auditor Control Language to search databases, create reports of outlier financial activity; conducting pre- / post-audit meetings; draft, final audit reports to GAAP / GASB / GAAS / GAGAS / Yellow Book guidelines, federal and state law.
• Design, Implement Databases: Internal and external business process and reporting.
Hometown Health Centers, Inc., 1044 State Street, Schenectady, NY, 12307 07/2003 - 12/2006
Program / Budget Analyst, Grant Manager
• Conceive Healthcare Service, Infrastructure Programs: Initiatives responding to funding opportunities ... mission, goals, objectives; business models, budgets, facilities, staffing, project schedules, IT needs; marketing and communications. Define organization, develop communication links to stakeholders, media.
• Evaluated / Prepared Critical Grant Opportunities / Applications: Writing narratives, budgets, graphics and completing appropriate forms; technical editing of clinical staff content.
• Spearhead Teambuilding, Inter-Disciplinary / Multi-Organizational Community Groups: Coordinating service delivery, create and implement delivery systems; integrate registration, facilitated heath insurance enrollment, patient data input / maintenance; facilitate key provider, inter-community linkages, medical services, social services, pharmaceutical services.
• Grant / Contract Post-Award Functions: Continuations, extensions, supplemental / carryover requests, administrative actions. Monitor progress reports, financial status reports, annual audits, grant closeouts.
ALT Ideas, Ltd., 1052 Phoenix Avenue, Schenectady NY, 12308 08/1994 - 12/2006
• Consultant To Business Owners: Performed Pro-forma financial projections and ratio analyses for new retail operations identifying process efficiencies, areas of risk, and business improvement opportunities; develop financing and grant-based funding plans.
• Design Service, Marketing Programs: Sales materials, restaurant / retail sales floor / service ergonomics, new product development.
Urbach Kahn & Werlin CPAs, 66 State Street, Albany, NY, 12206 08/1999 - 12/2002
Account Manager, Corporate Accounting Solutions
• Perform Business Process Analysis, Web-based Accounting Information System Implementation: Efficiency, work flow improvement for improved data management, internal controls and risk mitigation; comprehensive, insightful reports for improved efficiency, greater cost control, profits for small- and medium-sized businesses.
• Optimizing client / server hardware, data access / warehousing needs; service, training programs.
Dynabil Industries, Inc., Flint Mine Road, Coxsackie, NY, 12051 12/1996 - 12/1998
• Perform Wide Range of GAAP-Based Accounting Roles: G/L, AP, AR, monthly closings, bank recs. receivables, payables, purchasing and payroll management, period end adjustments, tax filings, asset management (JD Edwards), cash forecasts, revenue estimates.
• Integrated Accounting, Purchasing, MIS departments. Purchase-order system with payables; managed and trained accounts payable team; part if successful changeover to a P.C. / network-based accounting system.
Brown & Moran Brewing Company, Inc., 417 River Street, Troy, NY, 12180 01/1990 - 08/1994
• Created this successful (still in operation) $3.0M, 70-employee brewery-restaurant from an MBA class project
• Performed All GM Functions: Market research; menu creation; controller, cost management; POS design / management, payroll and taxes; purchasing / inventory management; merchandising and sales promotion; public / media relations / event management; advertising design / media investment program; recruiting / selection / training; floor, kitchen supervision.
• University at Albany, 1400 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY, 06/1998 - 08/1999: MASTERS OF SCIENCE – ACCOUNTING, INFORMATION SYSTEMS (GPA: 3.44/4.0)
• Union College, Union Avenue, Schenectady, NY, 06/1991 - 06/1996 (University of Pittsburgh, 12/1986 - 12/1988): MASTERS OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION – ACCOUNTING (GPA: 3.5/4.0)
• West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, 08/1979 - 12/1983: B.S. SCIENCE – JOURNALISM: PUBLIC RELATIONS / MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS (GPA: 3.47/4.0)
• Spreadsheet: Lotus 123, MS Excel
• Accounting Systems: QuickBooks, FundEZ, Solomon / Great Plains, Navision, Cognos, SAP
• Audit Analysis: TeamMate, Audit Control Language (ACL)
• Database Administration: SQL Server, MS Access, Lotus Approach
• Project Management: MS Project, ShurTrak Project
• Accounting Report Writers: Crystal Reports, FRX, Cognos Finance
• Documents: WordPerfect, MS Word
• Statistics Analyst: SAS, STORM/PERT Statistics
• Presentation Design: PowerPoint, Lotus Freelance Graphics
• Project Flow Charting: MS Visio
• Publication Design: MS Publisher
• Web Developer: Dreamweaver, Fireworks
• Vector Graphics: Flash MX, Swish
August 15, 2012
This letter expands on my resume to show why I'm your best candidate for your Manager of Accounting position – emphasizing a long, established career, including work in comprehensive accounting and finance, government / healthcare budgeting and contract management … offering a great breadth of knowledge, skills and experience:
1. I offer a long, established accounting with business management background, experience and talent, complemented by my advanced dual-masters college education: MBA and MS Accounting degrees with an IT minor. My experience, education and training has included applying qualitative and quantitative knowledge and skills, comprehensive grasp of mission, organization and work processes of the successful enterprise – government, private sector and not-for-profit alike – from more than 25 years’ experience working in organizations large and small. In my nearly two decades of accounting, auditing and finance experience, I’ve performed all facets of GAAP-based accounting and financial analysis:
• Business / budget planning, pro forma financial analysis; cash forecasts, cash management, revenue estimates
• Managing GL/AP/AR, bank reconciliations, contract billing, monthly closings; period end adjustments, tax filings (IRS 990)
• Purchasing and payroll / benefits management (ADP, Paychex); asset management (JD Edwards)
• Variance, ratio, inventory analysis, work cell analysis; revenue / profit / working capital forecasting, investment strategies
• Set-up, maintenance of accounting information systems (Microsoft Dynamics, Navision, QuickBooks, FundEZ); extensive work with PC spreadsheet and database software (MS Access, Lotus Paradox, SQL Server, MySQL)
• Accounting Report Writers: Crystal Reports, FRX, Cognos Finance
My IT consulting role extended to analyzing, reporting on and recommending business process improvement; assessing reporting requirements; conceptualizing relational database design, assessing data access needs, developing SQL methods and procedures; and consulting on security and internal control issues.
2. More recent experience was in government auditing, accounting and contract management; not-for-profit business planning, budget analysis, grant writing and development; and general business consulting.
• As Senior Auditor for the NYS Office Of Victims Services, I oversaw $10 million in grant-funded contracts with nearly 60 service providers that provide counseling, advocacy, medical exams and other services on behalf of crime victims. In this role I developed detailed, sophisticated budget and cost reconciliation models to ensure maximum grant investment leverage and service levels in support of the agency’s mission. I designed an integrated, digitized cost reporting and cash disbursement template to manage fiscal oversight of programs under my supervision, reconciling submitted costs to budgets and affirming appropriate cash management. I also developed an audit protocol and process for evidence collection, risk evaluation and internal control testing customized to grantees’ business structure, performing field testing to determine the quality of auditees’ books, records and control environment to determine a grantees’ risk of business and financial failure, vulnerability to fraud or malfeasance, or compliance with applicable federal and state law. Audit programs and field projects included conducting pre- and post-audit meetings and developing of draft and final audit reports in accordance to GAAP, GAAS, GAGAS, OMB A-133, federal and state statutes.
• As Grant Manager, Program / Budget Analyst for Hometown Healthcare Community Health Centers, I developed service delivery models and business concepts in support of primary care, dental and ancillary health care services, developing grant request proposals to government and foundations. I developed needs analysis, staffing and budgeting plans, facility and IT concepts and service delivery plans; established cost accounting monitoring methods and fund balance requirements for grants; and designed methods integrating patient processing systems and revenue / cost management for grant-supported health care services.
• As Account Manager for a regional CPA firm, I implemented Solomon, Great Plains and Navision accounting systems, performed needs analysis seeking greater efficiency and work flow improvement; improved data management, new business development through accounting system implementation. This included business process analysis; system / platform / network analysis and design; assessing reporting requirements; assessing data access / warehousing needs; service and training programs.
• In my own consulting business, I worked with business owners, performing pro-forma revenue models, financial projections, ratio analysis and risk analyses / risk mitigation, reviewing business processes to evaluate and recommend on accounting management / control and process efficiencies to identify and implement organization-wide process improvements.
3. I’ve demonstrated extensive experience, gained as business manager, leader and entrepreneur, inspiring, motivating, and guiding others toward mission and goal accomplishment, monitoring work of colleagues and subordinates, providing guidance, training, and direction as needed. Throughout my career I’ve worked as a supervisor or team leader to recommend, develop and implement policies and procedures serving to develop employees. I’ve led teams tasked with complex and challenging projects to successfully meet objectives, designed and implemented training programs, and managed and assigned work and adjusting assignments based on changing priorities and demonstrated skills of others.
Career support documents, (accessible here: http://explorewithjulie.com/Career_Resources.htm), shows further my broad business background in accounting, business management and communications. Thanks for your interest in me -- look forward to hearing from you soon.
Julie M. Moran