LeRoy W. Emerson
Bartlett, TN 38135
Senior Solutions Provider with 22 years experience and a proven track record in sales/marketing and financial management.
• Business Development
• Strategic Planning
• Sales Planning and Execution
• Marketing Team Management
• Budgeting and Forecasting
• Project Manager
• P & L Management
• Human Capital Management
The Commercial Appeal Memphis, TN 2007 - 2009
Memphis, TN daily newspaper and information website
Director/Sales and Marketing Administration
Chief Administrative Officer for sales and marketing division; led the financial and strategy development, innovation, deployment and analytical functions of advertising, marketing, customer service and sales with approximately $73 million in annual revenue.
• Directed activities of three division managers (training manager, financial services manager and marketing and research manager) along with tasks to create, maintain and track all financial projections including budget of as much as $102 million.
• Lead product design and pricing based on market need, research and growth potential.
• Developed measurements and analysis applications to improve efficiency and tracking of sales trends and quality performance.
• Managed the utilization of high-caliber qualitative/quantitative research methods with expert analysis skills and market awareness to drive strategy, change and subsequent growth.
• Employed strategic thinking and planning approach based on thorough understanding of the marketplace and competitive landscape; led teams in market research and intelligence gathering before creating viable marketing plans and/or concept changes. Designed and implemented new go to market approach for the division.
• Resolved complex policy issues with analytic and process/diplomacy skills with both internal and external clients.
• Led and directed a cross departmental team to vet and make recommendations on new technologies, pricing models and organizational restructure for efficiency and productivity.
• Provided financial and sales direction to staff on account strategies/development and negotiating and closing transactions.
Gannett Corporation Inc., McLean VA 2004 – 2007
Gannett Co., Inc. is a leading international news and information company. In the United States, the company publishes 99 daily newspapers, including USA TODAY, and nearly 850 non-daily publications.
Director, Corporate Advertising 2005 - 2007
Point of contact for media convergence solutions for sales strategies and technology, prepared capital / operations annual budget of $2.3 billion and conducted annual revenue / expense budget reviews.
Gannett Corporation Inc., (continued)
• Implemented audience based selling (a new go to market strategy) across Gannett’s newspaper division with 99 individual properties. Grew incremental revenue from $11,018,925 in 2003 to $29,431,379 in 2006
• Implemented the role out of the national sale force restructure, in 99 locations involving over 300 sales managers and 1500 sales executives.
• Advertising department’s liaison to the corporate internal auditor and controller.
• Conducted consultative financial audits and budget reviews on 99 separate operating units across the United States.
• Managed three direct reporting sales managers and 11 dotted line reporting advertising training managers.
• Trained, developed and mentored 50+ professionals in sales and high-level negotiations.
• Designed and deployed financial and quality performance rating scorecard to ensure consistency of advertising solutions along with implementation of tools to measure quality.
• Developed pricing models for multi-product audience based solutions.
Manager/Advertising Sales Development 2004 - 2005
Conducted financial analysis to benchmark performance of products, managed product performance reviews and implemented corrective action when deficiencies were identified.
• Created pricing strategies and financial rules for advertising campaigns.
• Made joint sales calls with local management and sales reps
• Developed, designed and implemented strategic and tactical planning projects for development of cross-media advertising sales for the newspaper division.
• Worked with staff to analyze business processes, product pipelines and development risks and opportunities.
• Identified opportunities and assisted in overall development of management and sales staff.
• Provided training and support to management and sales account executives on various sales initiatives.
• Led cross organizational sourcing reviews to identify opportunities for consolidation, automation and standardization of products and sales processes.
• Negotiated contracts and procurement services with outside vendors.
The Herald-Dispatch (Gannett Newspaper) Huntington, WV 2002 - 2004
Huntington, WV daily newspaper and information resource
Retail Advertising Manager
Managed the daily operations of the advertising department
• Built annual revenue budget, developed monthly and quarterly flash.
• Led a staff of two managers and 11 outside sales representatives (retail and classified).
• Created, implemented and managed sales performance scorecards.
• Negotiated agreements with outside sales vendors.
• Played a key role in product development and other operating decisions.
• Led department’s annual strategic planning.
• Supervises, monitors, and revises, as necessary all sales activities
The News - Press (Gannett Newspaper) Fort Myers, FL 1999 - 2002
Southwest Florida’s daily newspaper and information resource
Advertising Budget and Finance Manager and Retail Sales Manager
Prepared, formulated and directed the Advertising Department’s annual revenue budget of $92 million and capital budgeting process.
• Provided in-depth sales analysis.
• Directed financial components of the Advertising Matrix.
• Identified performance trends, assessed deficiencies and prepared gap analysis.
• Recommended pricing and rate programs for the department.
• Analyzed profitability across all product lines and presented recommendations to senior management.
• Acted as department liaison between Advertising Director and Controller in managing month end reports, quarterly projections and budget updates.
• Enhanced existing processes by recommending and implementing new workflow processes and systems.
• Played a vital role in strategic planning.
• Prepared, analyzed, created and interpreted a variety of statistical business reports and financial statements.
Arkansas Development Finance Authority 1996 - 1999
Arkansas’ largest source of low-cost financing for low-to-moderate income housing development,
small industries, government and education.
Vice President, Little Rock, AR
Managed the Arkansas Housing Finance Authority with total assets of $1.1 billion, 55 employees, over 12,000 housing units and administrated funding from HUD and USDA.
• Developed, managed and funded housing developments statewide over $180 million annually.
• Developed and administered the housing agency’s budget; directed and forecasted funds for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; monitored and approved expenditures.
• Chaired loan committee responsible for lending over $25 million annually.
• Led a $487,000,000 tax-exempt single family housing issuance.
• Established loan policies and created quality controls.
• Provided operational, financial, administrative and technical assistance to 189 city and county housing authorities.
• Led housing bond issuance team which included investment bankers, bond attorneys and rating agencies.
• Prepared and presented reports to the Governor, Board of Directors and Legislators.
South Shore Bank Chicago IL 1996
United States’ first community development bank
Assistant Vice President
Made business loans and commercial real estate loans to companies ranging in size from $100,000 to $50 million in gross sales.
• Analyzed financial statements and reviewed budget and cash flow statements to determine clients’ credit worthiness.
• Called on individual business owners with a primary focus of penetrating and serving the minority owned business market.
• Worked hand-in-hand with Small Business Administration and USDA Rural Development to create opportunity for underserved communities.
First Commercial Bank Little Rock, AR 1994–1995
Now Region’s Bank, a full service bank holding company.
Assistant Vice President
Built a commercial business portfolio from $1.7 million to over $12 million in less than 18 months.
• Worked closely with corporation’s Chief Financial Officers and accounting staff to prepare credit analysis.
• Prepared financial analysis for loan committee.
• Proven producer in a cross cultural marketplace; improved bank’s visibility, presence and image in the minority community.
Household Finance Corporation San Francisco, CA 1987 - 1994
Nationwide financial service company
Branch Sales Manager
Oversaw day-to-day efficient operation of a $22 million financial service branch.
• Sold first mortgages, equity lines, consumer loans and life insurance.
• Reduced unnecessary time spent by others on work projects through careful supervision of work effort and correct task assignment.
• Recruited and hired entire staff, both sales executives and clerical support.
United States Air Force Target Intelligence Specialist 1983 – 1987
Master of Business Administration Marshall University Huntington, WV
Bachelors of Science Organizational Behavior University of San Francisco San Francisco, CA
SKILLS / TRAINING / COMPETENCIES
• Sales Force Designer
• Strategic / Analytical Thinker
• Corporate Sales Trainer
• Innovative and Creative
• Financial Acumen
• Multimedia Strategic Planning
• New Product developer & designer
• Curriculum Advisor, Florida International University School of Journalism and Mass Communications
• Biggest Contributor to Advertising Department in 2000
• Risk Management Association National Small Business Banking Committee
• Presidential Nominee to the Board of Directors - Clinton Administration Recommended for National Corporation for Housing Partnerships
• Committee Member Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) Advisory
• Chairman of Finance, Hugh O’Brian Youth Foundation
• President, National Association of Urban Bankers –