A skilled and dedicated professional engineer with extensive experience in the plastic processing (polymer foaming and composites) and solid background in mechanical engineering
Plastics (Polymer) foaming, compounding, and composites
Polymer (plastics) extrusion, injection, and compression
Nano-particles dispersion technology
Mechanical product (system) design; stamping die and extrusion die design
High-pressure vessel design and its stress and strain analysis
AutoCAD, Solidworks, Labview, and DOE software
Mechanical testing equipment
Yutai Company / China (Aug. 2011 - May. 2012)
Developed a new kind of vacuum insulation panel by changing its core foam morphology
Improved the stability and reliability of a new type of planetary solid-liquid separator
Prototyped the new planetary solid liquid separator for testing
Dow Chemical (Apr. 2010 - May 2011)
Developed a new technology for Haier Group to lower the thermal insulation property of polyurethane (PU) foam by using nano-particles, ultrasound, and IR blockers. The newly developed PU foam with a lower thermal conductivity passed the pilot test and was ready for commercialization
Scaled up wire and cable accessories compounds using the Coperion ZSK40 twin-screw extruder; the aimed production rate was reached and all properties of compounds met the requirements; and optimum processing parameters were obtained
Investigated the feasibility of manufacturing a low cost vacuum insulation panel (VIP)
Designed a PU microcellular foaming system
University of Toronto / Canada (Oct. 2007 - Mar. 2010)
Developed an innovative process to compound polymers with long natural fibers, collaborating with FPInnovations, the world largest wood products research company
Investigated the reinforcement efficiency of 12 natural long fibers to polymers; the main mechanical properties of new polymer/fiber composites increased by 30~50%
The roles of fiber shape, aspect ratio, and size in polymer/fiber composites were clarified
University of Toronto / Canada (Sept. 2000 - Sept. 2007)
Independently designed and built a visualization batch foaming system for understanding cell nucleation and growth dynamics during a foaming process, the first of its kind in North America; the system is capable of:
Capturing images of foaming processes up to 100,000 frame/s through a high-magnification optical microscope; simultaneously recording all process parameters; simulating real extrusion and injection conditions: temperature up to 250oC, pressure up to 5000 psi
Virtually clarified the foaming mechanisms of physical and chemical blowing agents by using the visualization system
Investigated the foaming abilities of various polymers (PS, PP, and PE) with CO2 and N2 using the visualization system
Studied the relationship between viscosity and free volume of polymers and theoretically predicted the viscosity property of polymer/gas mixtures
Precisely simulated the parameter change of physical blowing agents during a foaming process
The relationship between nucleating agent and foaming parameters was revealed and strategies of improving polymer foam ability were identified
Designed and built a gas solubility measurement system
Supervised 5 undergraduate and 6 graduate research students on their projects
Danong Mechanical Design Center (Sept. 1990 - Sept. 1999)
Research Team Leader (May 1995 - Sept. 1999)
Engineer (Sept. 1990 - Apr. 1995)
Supervised a research team engaging in mechanical design, especially sheet metal stamping die and forging moulding design
Finished the stamping die design of a new tractor prototype for Beijing Tractor Company
Successfully developed an “Upsetting-Extrusion-Rotary” compounding technology on a 315 ton hydraulic press machine
Designed the welding vehicles for “Gezhoba Dam Automatic Welding Equipment”
Modified and improved the transmission system of a C-40 lathe
Designed and built the plane hydro-static thrust rotary forging attachment (awarded Inventor Certificate of China National Science and Technology)
Optimized the stamping die parameters of sheet metal drawing processes and successfully applied to die design
Solved mold contraction of zinc-based alloy by using expansive gypsum
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Licensed Professional Engineer (PEng) / Ontario, Canada, 2009
University of Toronto / Canada
Ph.D. (2007): Mechanism study of polymer foaming processes using a new visualization system
MASc. (2002): Viscosity prediction of polymer/gas mixtures
Tianjin University / China
M.S. (1990): Study of Upsetting-Extrusion-Rotary compounding technology
DOW Chemical (2011)
Ontario Centers of Excellence (2006)
Certificate of Completion for Management and Teamwork Core Course
Member of Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE)
Member Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
• Guo, Q., “Dispersion of Nano-Filler for Rigid Polyurethane Fine Cell Foam”, Dow Chemical Central Report, 2011.
• Yin, E., Costuex, S., Kalantar, T., Guo, Q., “Fine cell rigid polyurethane foam development by supercritical CO2 foaming method: Part II Engineering and safety evaluations for scCO¬2 foaming system design”, Dow Chemical Central Report, 2010.
• Guo, Q., Cheng, B., Kortschot, M., Sain, M., Knudson, R., Deng, James, and Alemdar, A., “Performance of long Canadian natural fibers as reinforcements in polymers”, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 29(31), 3197, 2010.
• Guo, Q., Park, C.B., Xu, X. and Wang, J., “Relationship of Fractional Free Volumes Derived from the Equations of State (EOS) and the Doolittle Equation”, Journal of Cellular Plastics, 43(1), 69-82, 2007.
• Guo, Q., Wang, J., Park, C.B. and Ohshima, M., “A Microcellular Foaming Simulation System with a High-Pressure Drop Rate”, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 45(18), 6153-61, 2006.
• Zhang, J., Park, C.B., Rizvi, G.M., Huang, H., Guo, Q., “Investigation on the uniformity of HDPE/Wood fiber composites in a twin screw extruder”, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 113, 2081-2089, 2009.
• Guo, Q., Tang, X., and Yin, C., “Study on Solving Mould Contraction of Zinc based Alloy Using Expansive Gypsum” Foundry, 1, 1999.
• Guo, Q., Zhu, H., and Tang, X, “Development of Upsetting-Extrusion-Rotary Technology on a Hydraulic Press”, Journal of China Agricultural University, 3(6), 1998.
• Guo, Q., Zhu, H., and Tang, X, “Pressure-following Oil Supply Characteristics of Cave Plane Hydrostatic Thrust Bearing”, Journal of China Agricultural University, 3(4), 1998.
• Guo, Q., Tang, X., and Zhu, H., “Parameter optimization of drawing tube without flange”, Forging & Stamping Technology, 24(2), 1999.