MARTIN H. SCHLESS
ST. PETERSBURG, FL *****
Finance Manager and Accountant with extensive background in the financial direction of multi-million dollar organizations. Successful track record of asset and resource management, strategic planning, and technological advancement. Possesses the keen ability to mobilize and motivate cross-functional project teams to effectively achieve short and long-range objectives while streamlining processes and reducing overall spending. Acknowledged for collaborating effectively on the creation and development of common sets of project management processes, guidelines, and templates. Well-versed in GAAP standards.
SELECTED CAREER ACHIEVEMENTS
Vela Research LP:
Pricing Modules / Product Costing: Recognized for providing quicker and more accurate customer quotes, enhancing competitive advantage.
Procedural Development: Developed and implemented short- and long-term planning modules for improved EBITDA.
Efficiency Programs: Lowered headcount and subsequent costs; realized a first year reduction of 20%.
MATERNAL CHILD HEALTH COALITION, INC., Tampa, FL
2009 – 2011
D/B/A BRIGHT BEGINNINGS
Provided day-to-day financial management of a $2.5M budget and 5 public programs.
* Oversaw preparation and review of regional monthly operating financial statements, outlooks, monthly variance analysis, and annual budget preparation.
* Analyzed all aspects of annual financial performance and provided recommendations for improvement.
* Ensured consistent cost benefit analysis to ensure tactics and organization structure delivered optimal results.
* Evaluated risk and control environments, including financial reporting risks, providing valuable guidance that contributed to the corporate investment decision-making process.
CITY OF INDIAN ROCKS BEACH, Indian Rocks Beach, FL
2005 – 2008
Director of Finance
Managed all budgetary and fiscal responsibilities, operations, HR, and process and procedural development.
* Collaborated with key business stakeholders to define future projects, develop strategic plans, identify key success factors, set priorities, and allocate resources.
* Oversaw all accounting functions, including AP/AR, budgeting, P&L, forecasting, reporting, and data analysis; participated in development of fiscal budgets.
* Evaluated financial data and completed variance analyses, as well as month-end and year-end closing reports.
VELA RESEARCH LP, Clearwater, FL
2002 – 2005
Director of Finance and Human Resources
Managed comprehensive Financial and HR functions for $10M developer and manufacturer of innovative products and services for the international broadcast and cable television industries. Directed staff of 4 employees.
* Partnered with management on organizational resource management, providing data on business unit statistics, positions, and employee transactions, including new hires, salary changes, transfers, and reorganizations.
* Acknowledged for creating and rolling out administrator and employee specialized training and orientation programs, effectively disseminating vital information related to compensation and benefits, 401(k) plans, corporate policies and compliance, and general human resource initiatives.
* Analyzed financial data and completed month-end and year-end closing reports as well as variance analyses.
* Developed ad hoc analyses in multi-channel profitability reporting system, ensuring accurate and timely maintenance and implementation of budget and forecast revisions.
MARDON ENTERPRISES, INC., Westminster, MD
1999 – 2002
Owner / Business Manager
Managed soft pretzel franchise, including distribution to shopping malls and retail bakeries.
Bachelor of Science, Accounting and Management Science, University of Baltimore, Baltimore, MD
Master-level coursework, Finance and Managerial Accounting, Mount Saint Mary’s College, Emmittsburg, MD