WILLIAM J. LAINO
Lancaster, CA 93534
*********@*******.*** / 661-***-****
A position involving international sales / marketing within the medical device industry or have interest in a field service management position.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
• Highly dedicated and motivated sales, management and marketing professional with over twenty years professional employment history including technical support, management and field service representing medical device companies, also including international experience.
• Overall background includes business development through own venture, international sales and marketing for medical device companies, developing marketing opportunities, managing and directing technical staff, sales staff and engineers, implementing new procedures to reduce service interventions and costs, coordinating technical training and delivering high quality customer service, and managing call centers requiring resolution to complex technical issues, as well as operations management and training staff.
• Works effectively with all levels of individuals from diverse backgrounds. Communicates effectively, including English as first language and fluency in Spanish. Sets goals and objectives and motivates staff toward exceeding goals and objectives, as well as for self. Provides hard work ethic, natural leader, business manager and entrepreneur.
PROFESSIONAL EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
The Sport Club LA, San Francisco, California 2007 - 2008
Assistant General Manager
• Directed various departments for a 22 million dollar/year health club comprised of some 306 employees. Reviewed and managed monthly P&L with home office in Boston.
• Managed the Spa, housekeeping, kids club, sports program, front desk and restaurant.
Club One, Milpitas, California 2007
Assistant General Manager
• Managed sales, personal training and operations, including front desk, housekeeping and maintenance. Responsible for the performance of 25 staff.
Equinox Health Club, San Mateo, California 2006 - 2007
• Managed a team of Membership Advisors responsible for generating new membership sales, renewals, personal training packages and other ancillary items.
• Trained advisors on proper value selling techniques and coordinated all outreach activities.
• Drove and motivated team towards achieving team forecast and goals.
Checkpoint Language Institute, Barcelona, Spain 2001 - 2005
• Owned and directed operations for a staff of twelve language professionals that provided training to international managers throughout Barcelona.
• Training also included: cross-cultural negotiation skills, English interview and resume preparation for Import / Export managers.
Advanced Bionics Corporation - Sylmar, California, USA 1998 - 2000
Manager, International Sales and Marketing
Bill Laino Page Two
• Managed all marketing and sales efforts in Latin America and Asia for a medical device company specializing in Cochlear Implants for the deaf.
• Explored new market opportunities for product introduction.
• Supported Distributor’s efforts in meeting / exceeding forecast sales. Directed a staff of direct sales and service support personnel.
Roche Diagnostic Systems - Madrid, Spain 1992 - 1994
National Field Service Manager
• Directed a staff of 27 professionals and resolved technically complex customer situations. Implemented a Decision Support System to monitor and analyze instrument service histories, direct field service personnel and generate performance reports.
• Re-engineered Field Service Departmental procedures, reducing service interventions 25%.
• Lowered costs 30% through efficient reorganization; increased revenues through aggressive marketing.
• Coordinated all technical training center activities to deliver high quality customer service.
• Interfaced with Service Managers throughout Europe and exchanged technical information and service considerations for successful new product introduction.
Coulter Scientific - Barcelona, Spain 1990 - 1992
Technical Service Specialist
• Provided on-site customer service for complete line of sophisticated bio-medical instrumentation.
• Provided practical and timely solutions involving product feasibility/compatibility, instrument performance and customer service, resulting in a 15% annual increase in sales.
SYVA - Palo Alto, California, USA 1988 - 1990
Technical Support Manager
• Directed a staff of six engineers responsible for maintaining the operation of several prototype bio-medical instruments undergoing feasibility studies. Department collected serviceability and reliability data for later use at product launch.
Instrumentation Laboratory - Lexington, Mass. USA 1981 - 1988
Incoming Call Center Manager, Product Line Service Coordinator
• Managed an incoming call center staffed with ten technical professionals responsible for resolving complex customer issues via the telephone.
• Acted as the primary interface among Field Service Engineers, R&D, and Marketing. Responsible for field service training and advising Marketing on product support feasibility.
United States Navy, Norfolk VA 1977 - 1981
- Attended Advanced Electronic School. (1978) Performed repair, maintenance and troubleshooting on a state of the art guided missile system, stationed on a US Navy Frigate.
- As a Second Class Petty Officer, supervised 5 junior technicians performing similar duties.
University Of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 1994 - 1997
MBA Master of Business Administration
USA Department of Commerce Scholarship, USC IBEAR MBA Class President
MBA Project: Management Consultant - Led a team of 4 USC MBA candidates, completed a major international project for a leading US high-tech manufacturer.
- Created a marketing plan for new product introduction into Southeast Asia.
California State University, Fullerton, CA - Bachelor of Arts, Major: Economics 1996