Richard Ryan BHS/HA, RHIT
E-mail: vanzinkel@ juno.com
HIM professional with extensive knowledge of, IP/OP Coding and Billing practices, EMR, RAC, ICD-9, ICD-10, POA, MS-DRG, CERT, CDMP, MICS, PICS, ZPICS, various insurance billing practices and appeal practices. Key strengths include excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal skills, strong work ethic, and flexible, adaptable, works well under pressure.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
• B.H.S. -Healthcare administration
• Areas of Expertise:
Accounts receivable (A/R) processes, financial reporting, and analysis, OP/IP coding reviews for quality
and accuracy, OP/IP reviews for Medicare, Medicaid, RAC and JACHO compliance.
• Participated in the design and implementation of EMR
• Computer Proficiency: 3M encoder, Cerner Power chart EMR, All-Meds EMR, Heathland EMR,
Excel, Windows business Suite, Outlook, Citrix, Kronos and Paychex (time keeping), Windows 98-95,
2000, XP, Windows vista, Windows7, AS 400, Lotus 1-2-3
Director Medical Records (HIM Manager)
Doctors Hospital, Headache & Pain Centers Leawood, Kansas (10bed acute care hospital, ASC, 2 clinics)
March 2011 thru October 2011
• Responsible for 2 FTE HIM clerks
• Accountable for overseeing all phases of medical records department to include ROI
• Supervises coders in the absence of Business Manager
• Monitors department functions to insure in compliance with all accrediting bodies (AAAHC, JACHO)
• Documented accurate accountability of Paychex time keeping for employees
• Works with physicians, nursing and other clinical providers to minimize delinquent charts
• Analyzes and assembles all ambulatory, inpatient, observation and surgical charts
• Rebuilt medical records department to comply with industry standards
• Lowered medical delinquency rate from 80% to 46%
• Wrote and rewrote HIM policies, procedures, medical records disaster recovery plan
Data Quality Manager
Lawrence Memorial Hospital Lawrence, Kansas (173-bed acute care hospital) - Nov.2009- Dec. 2010
• Responsible for 15 FTE’s (6 Coders, 8 Transcriptions, 1 A/R clerk) all staff scheduling, changes and
• Accountable for coding productivity, standards, education, suggestions and issues
• Documented accurate accountability of Kronos time keeping for employees
• Conducted coding audits (IP/OP) for coding compliance
• Responsible for regulatory information updates (RAC, ICD-10, POA, MS-DRG and never events)
• Coded emergency department records, labs, x-rays
• Responsible for transcription productivity, standards, quality control and audits
• Conducted completion of annual employee performance growth plans
• Achieved lowest A/R balance in 4 years
• Chaired Medical Record Review Committee
Director of Health Information Management
Select Specialty Hospital Topeka, Kansas (32 bed LTACH) April 2006- November 2009
• Responsible for activities necessary for maintaining the medical record system in a cost
effective manner by providing efficient systems and procedures
• Responsible for the direction and operational management of health information management
• Accountable for maintaining department policies and procedures to comply with legal
accreditation criteria, recruiting, retaining and providing guidance and leadership to team
members, and partnering with physicians, hospital leadership and staff from throughout the
organization to develop and achieve quality and customer service
• Reported directly to CEO, MEC and Governing Board
• Responsible for managing budgetary and Fiscal accountability
Medical Staff Office Manager (Credentialing Coordinator)
Select Specialty Hospital Topeka, Kansas April 2006-November 2009
• Responsible for the appointment, re-appointment, temporary privileges of over 200+ physicians
and allied health personnel.
• Responsible for departmental, NCQA, JACHO, KDHE, CMS credentialing and accreditation
compliance and survey readiness.
• Reported directly on issues and compliance to MEC, Governing Board
Medicare Benefit Specialist
Vangent (MAC) formerly NCS Pearson, Lawrence, Kansas, June 2003-April 2006
• Enrolled Beneficiaries into prescription drug plans and Medicare advantage program
• Assisted Beneficiaries with understanding Medigap policies, HMO’s and benefits
• Clarified Medicare Summary Notice to recipients
• Sent feedback reports to CMS on published media
Adjunct Allied Health Instructor
Pinnacle Career College (formerly Lawrence Career College), Lawrence, Kansas, April 2001-June 2003
• Medical Billing and Coding Instructor
• Assistant Internship Coordinator
• Facilitated the revision and implementation of Medical Office Assistant courses and Medical
U.S Army 1981-1988
•101st Airborne; Fort Campbell, Kentucky: Sergeant: Defense Acquisition Radar Crew-Chief (16J20)
Washburn University, Topeka, Kansas
Degree: Bachelors of Health Science (May 2009) major: Healthcare Administration G.PA: 3.7/4.0
Degree: Associate of Applied Science (May 2006) major: Health Information Technology G.P.A: 3.5/4.0
HONORS, ACTIVITIES, ASSOCIATIONS:
President: Phi Theta Kappa, Alpha Mu Omicron Chapter, Washburn University (2005)
RHIT Member of American Health and Information Association
Member Lawrence Medical Managers Association
Advisory Committee Member for Pinnacle Career Institute (2008- Present)
References Available Upon Request
Customer Service Safety
KS - this, refrigeration, communication, tools,...
Quality Control Operator
KS - well, plasma, completed, through, operating,...
KS - orders, missouri, train, ability, excellent, haccp,...
Customer Service Manager
KS - issues, sccm, solutions, users, citrix, microsoft,...
KS - fire, emergency, alaska, fema, emt, firefighter,...
Engineer Project Manager
KS - composite, wichita, tooling, engineer, aircraft,...
Customer Service Representative
KS - pastor, perform, leadership, ministry, activities,...