Well-qualified Human Resources Professional with 14+ years of experience and a broad based background in staff recruitment and retention, counseling and conflict resolution, change management, labor relations, benefits administration, investigation, and regulatory compliance. In-depth knowledge and understanding of labor market and labor laws. Effective decision maker and problem solver with a commitment to meeting corporate objectives while promoting individual accountability. Talent for quickly creating and applying strategic plans to support talent acquisition, staff retention, and succession planning. Trusted advisor to corporate management and staff at all levels of the organization. Significant strengths in:
Employee Relations Staff Training and Development Leadership
Team Building Process Improvement Coaching & Counseling
Compensation & Benefits Policy Design & Administration Harassment & EEO Compliance
SRI SURGICAL, TAMPA, FL 7/2007 - 7/2008
AN OPERATING ROOM SUPPLY CHAIN AND CENTRAL STERILIZATION MANUFACTURING AND MANAGEMENT SOLUTION FOR HOSPITALS AND SURGERY CENTERS WITH 14 FACILITIES IN 10 STATES
Senior Human Resources Manager
• Administered all facets of Human Resources policies, plans, programs and support managers and directors in issues and concerns relative to employment, employee relations, benefits administration, compensation, and safety for 800+ employees in 10 states.
• Provided consultative and strategic support to drive business initiatives, diagnosed organization effectiveness gaps, designed and deployed initiatives to enhance organizational effectiveness.
• Managed and directed Human Resource team comprised of an HR Generalist, Corporate Recruiter, Corporate Benefits Specialist and two part-time Administrative Assistants.
• Composed and published an employee resource guide; revised outdated policies, incorporated new polices to enhance morale and ensured legal compliance.
• Sourced a no-cost vendor to automate benefits open enrollment processing and provide Total Compensation Statements for all employees.
• Reduced reliance on outside recruiters by upgrading internal recruiting practices and processes resulting in an annualized cost savings of approx. $200k.
• Ensured all Human Resources processes were Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) compliant by December 2007 deadline.
TECH DATA CORPORATION, CLEARWATER, FL 10/2004 - 5/2007
A FORTUNE 107 COMPANY AND LEADING DISTRIBUTOR OF IT PRODUCTS WITH $20 BILLION IN SALES AND 8,200 EMPLOYEES WORLDWIDE
Senior Human Resources Manager (South Bend, IN & Clearwater, FL)
• Provided Human Resource leadership for 6 distribution centers across the US; oversaw the development and implementation of Human Resources policies, programs and services.
• Collaborated with managers, directors and field HR managers as a strategic business partner; consulted on performance management, staffing, compensation, benefits, organizational development, and consistent policy interpretation.
• Conceptualized, created, and implemented a network wide performance-based incentive program that enhanced individual accountability and improved productivity by 10% and attendance by 20%.
• Devised and instituted an associate quarterly review process aligned with new incentive program.
• Served as key member of the corporate union avoidance/labor relations team for the Southern CA distribution center.
Carol Swiss, page 2
TECH DATA CORPORATION (continued)
• Established an on-boarding program for new hires and managers that reduced turnover by 5%.
• Created and implemented a flex-staffing program that reduced reliance on temporary staffing agencies and greatly improved employee morale.
SPECTRUM HEALTH HOSPITALS, GRAND RAPIDS, MI 10/2001 - 6/2004
LARGEST NON-PROFIT HEALTHCARE SYSTEM IN WESTERN MICHIGAN WITH 7 NATIONALLY ACCREDITED HOSPITALS AND MORE THAN 2,000 LICENSED BEDS
Senior Human Resources Generalist
• Provided employee relations direction to all hospital nursing units and nurses.
• Managed employee relations team and nurse recruitment team of 8; administered recruiting budget of $500,000.
• Partnered with senior management on career model initiatives, performance management, compensation practices and leadership development.
• Created and implemented a nursing recruitment strategy that led to the hiring of “100 Nurses in 100 Days”; exceeded hiring goal by 20%.
• Served as Project Lead for the composing and publication of a policy manual and staff handbook; revised outdated policies, incorporated new policies that enhanced morale, and ensured legal compliance.
• Devised and instituted multiple training programs on various topics relative to the new policy manual and handbook.
FIFTH THIRD BANK, CHICAGO, IL 9/1997 - 10/2001
A DIVERSIFIED FINANCIAL SERVICES COMPANY WITH 99.8 BILLION IN ASSETS AND 1,161 FULL-SERVICE BANKING CENTERS IN 10 STATES.
Human Resources Assistant Vice President
• Provided employee relations and tactical support to the Corporate Banking, Trust and Investment Services, Mortgage and Staff functions of the Illinois market.
• Counseled associates and leadership team on career development, change resilience, conflict management, and performance issues; and, partnered with leadership team on talent planning activities.
• Managed and directed staff of 8 to include Human Resources Officers.
• Identified and established partnerships with key managers and individual contributors that supported strategic objectives of the bank.
• Served as HR Lead for merger related activities such as severance, outplacement, FTE reconciliation, cost center mapping, and orientation.
• Worked closely with senior management on reorganizations, team development and succession planning/bench strength analysis.
HOME QUARTERS WAREHOUSE (HQ), DETROIT, MI 10/1993 - 7/1997
A “BIG-BOX” HOME IMPROVEMENT RETAILER WITH $100 MILLION IN SALES AND 116 STORES NATIONWIDE
District Human Resources Manager
• Provided HR support to include staffing, performance management, training and employee relations for 6 retail locations in Detroit with approximately 725 employees.
• Managed team of 6 HR managers in multiple sites through-out Detroit market.
• Created ‘Eye on You’ leadership program to enhance internal promotion process and support bench strength growth.
• Transformed districts perception of Human Resources from one of administrative and control to partnership and support.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
Bachelor of Business Administration, Florida Institute of Technology (attain December, 2009)
Society of Human Resources Management (SHRM)
SPHR Exam Date December 13, 2008