Libertyville, IL 60048
Proven, effective senior level leader with extensive experience in information systems/ technology, operations, marketing and sales and service within the insurance/financial services sector. Key contributor and committed to exceeding internal and industry expectations. Consistently recognized for motivating teams to successfully achieve goals especially during times of significant transition and/or development. Recognized as Subject Matter Expert, Certified Project Manager, Agile/SCRUM methodologies.
INSURE.COM, Darien, IL 2006 – Present
Originally founded in 1984 as Quotesmith Corporation, Insure.com owns and operates Insure.com, an online consumer insurance broker. www.insure.com
Vice President / Chief Information Officer
Serve as a corporate officer reporting to the CEO and member of the senior leadership team with responsibility for planning, designing and directing all information systems.
• Developed and implemented company process improvements that increased online click revenue from $2 million to $5.5 million.
• Generated profits of $1 million/month by negotiating a lucrative marketing partnership with GEICO.
• Migrated from a COBOL legacy platform to an ORACLE database.
o Migration was completed 60 days ahead of schedule and under budget.
o The successful migration laid the foundation for the company to be SOX compliant.
• Built an onsite data center and co-location hot site facility that houses 158 servers.
• Reduced phone costs by $340,000/ year by migrating to new phone/communication system.
• Increased system uptime from 80% to 99% by implementing a complete Life Cycle Planning process.
• First CIO to achieve a corporate audit that resulted in "no significant findings" and zero comments.
• Reduced online application processing errors by 20% which increased speed to market and reduced development and testing time by 33% and resulted in a total savings of $120,000 for 8 online carriers.
• Reduced labor costs by $170,000/year and increased efficiencies by off-shoring a technology team.
ALLSTATE INSURANCE COMPANY, Northbrook, IL 1979 – 2006
(NYSE:ALL) The Allstate Corporation is the nation’s largest publicly held personal lines insurer. A Fortune 50 company with $156 billion in assets and nearly 70,000 employees.
Senior Executive Director & Regional Marketing Director
Corporate Marketing Department - Project Management Office March 2003 – April 2006
Developed and lead the Home Office Project Management Office PMO, responsible for management and oversight of both information technology (IT) and non-technical marketing projects that totaled $500 million. Coordinated all work activities of cross-functional teams which developed new strategic marketing concepts. Subsequently assigned as Regional Marketing Director and managed a $150 million budget and a staff of seven.
• Implementation of a countrywide marketing ‘pop-up’ prompt that generated an incremental sales lift of 3.4% or $16 million.
• Delivered a $4.1 million nationwide centralized online tool, Marketing Plan Assistant, to 14,000+ agencies.
Enterprise System Management, Northbrook, IL 2002 - 2003
Led Enterprise System Management command center of 35 employees and a budget of $6.2 million which provided 365x24x7 service for 360 unique applications and catastrophic events for Allstate.
• Responsible for directing system-wide (3 data centers) detection, diagnosis, and resolution of application and utilization problems which included: Geo, IBM, SQL, Oracle, and Sun/ INIX servers.
• Managed rapid recovery following major system crashes and virus attacks from the Microsoft Office Worm, producing savings estimated to exceed $10 million annually.
• Implemented custom monitoring programs which identified and signaled impending network crashes. Achieved 99% SLA and OLA application availability.
Knowledge Management Practice, Northbrook, IL 2000 – 2002
The Knowledge Management Practice was responsible for creating a standardized central repository for all job content, organizational processes, department manuals and standards, training programs, and technical product data. Created design architecture and general methodology for portal technology and content/document management. Served as company liaison with strategic partners IBM and Cisco and managed a staff of 15 IT professionals and a budget of $3.8 million.
• Led full integration of the Learning Management System platform.
• Implementation of Knowledge Management Processes achieved a 1st year ROI/estimated annual savings of $150 million.
• Negotiated an enterprise-wide contract for a content management tool which was installed in two data centers for use by more than 1,500 users
Various other roles
Senior Systems Director – Sales and Service Platform and SAP Implementation 1997 – 2000
Division Director - Education Design and Delivery 1996 – 1997
Technology Integration Manager - Regional Technology and Operations Department 1992 – 1996
Territory Manager - Midwest Region Operations Center 1988 – 1992
Accounting and Data Center Division Manager - Illinois Regional Operations Center 1985 – 1988
Data Center Manager 1983 – 1985
Internal Senior Auditor 1979 – 1983
IBM CORPORATION - Internal Auditor 1976 – 1979
National Louis University, Evanston, IL - Masters of Science 1991
Information and Management Science/Applied Human Behaviors, GPA: 4.0 graduated in top 5% of class
Augustana College, Rock Island, IL - Bachelor of Science 1976
Accounting & Finance, GPA: 3.2 London School of Business and University of Opitia, in Yugoslavia
Goldstein Financial Services, Northbrook, IL 2001 - present
Ponvia Technology, Arlington Heights, IL 1998 - present
Allstate Chairman’s Award recipient (1996, 1998, 2001)
Malcolm Baldridge Award 10th place
Allstate Good Hands Award (recipient multiple years)
Certified Project Manager, Agile and SCRUM Methodologies
Certified QES Instructor, Philip Crosby School of Management and Operational Excellence