Maria Elena Salanga
Chesapeake, VA 23320
Registered Nurse seeking a position with a qualifying hospital in order to exercise my knowledge
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
• Sound knowledge of and appropriate application of the nursing process
• Advocate for patient rights; strive to understand a patient’s needs and concerns.
• Hardworking and energetic
• Maintain critical thinking skills essential to providing competent and dignified patient care.
• Personable with positive attitude; interface well with patients, families, and nursing staff.
• Team leader with able to create a positive working environment that uplifts patients’ spirits.
• Solid understanding of ethical, legal, confidentiality and advocacy principles
• Good computer knowledge
• Excellent communication skills
• Strong interpersonal and customer relation skills
• Extensive nursing experience in med-surge, orthopedic, and ambulatory care
Luke & Associates - Langley Air Force Base Medical Center / Contract Assignment
Hampton, VA 07/2011 – 5/2012
Registered Nurse / Ambulatory Care Unit/PACU
• Provided pre- and post operative nursing care utilizing the nursing process to patients in the age group from pediatric to geriatric in the ambulatory care setting
• Prepared patients for surgery and provided post-operative care in phase 1 and 2 recovery
• Gathered, assessed, evaluated, and documented patient data for treatment purposes
• Ensured pre-operative checklist completed prior to surgery
• Prepared and maintained patient charts for surgery
• Performed nursing functions in accordance with physician's orders such as blood draws, insertion of peripheral intravenous lines, administration of medications via IV, SQ, IM, PO
• Assisted physicians at the bedside in administering regional blocks for surgery
• Performed discharge teaching to patient and family member
ATC Health Care Services – Travel / Agency Per Diem RN for Bonseceur System
Norfolk, VA 6/2012 – present
TCMP – Naval Medical Center Portsmouth / Contract Assignment
Portsmouth, VA 10/01/2008 – 07/08/2011
Chesapeake Center Inc. – Naval Medical Center Portsmouth / Contract Assignment
Portsmouth, VA 07/01/2006 - 10/01/2008
Spectrum Health Care – Naval Medical Center Portsmouth / Contract Assignment
Portsmouth, VA 03/01/2005 – 10/01/2005
West Florida Hospital
Pensacola, FL 08/2002 – 05/2004
Registered Nurse / Medical - Surgical /Orthopedic Ward
• Performed nursing assessments, planning, intervention, and evaluation of medical surgical patients ranging in the age group adolescent, adult, and geriatric
• Provided treatments such as monitoring vital signs, maintenance of central/peripheral intravenous lines, respiratory treatment, wound care, pin care, trache care, stoma care, continuous bladder irrigations
• Assisted physicians in examinations and treatments
• Administered medications via feeding tube, IV piggyback, PO, IM, SQ, IV
• Maintained proper functioning of chest tubes, PCA pumps, wound vac machines, CPM machines
• Monitored results of patient lab work
• Administered IV fluids/blood transfusion
• Performed specimen collection, foley catheter insertion, nasal gastric tube insertion, blood draws, and blood glucose testing
• Provided health teaching to patients and family during hospital stay
• Maintained complete chart on patient
• Performed discharge planning with patient/family regarding diagnosis, wound care, medications, diet, activity
• Provided pre- and post operative nursing care for adult and geriatric patients with musculoskeletal injuries and conditions.
• Educated patients and their families on the proper use of braces, prosthetics, and orthopedic equipment with a focus on safety
• Collaborated effectively with an interdisciplinary team of medical and health care professionals comprised of a physician, nurse manager, dietician, social worker, case manager, and physical therapist.
• Precepted staff nurses in areas of patient care, policies, and procedures with demonstrated leadership skills.
• Performed as charge nurse, prioritized and delegated assignments, contributing to a higher standard of patient care and staff retention.
B.S in Nursing, Hawaii Pacific University, Honolulu, HI
VA Registered Nurse #000*******
ACLS / PALS / BLS