MATTHEW A. SEVERANCE
Tampa, FL. 33602
Cell phone: 813-***-****
OBJECTIVE: To stay in a field that accentuates my proficiency in being a leader and a quick, decisive, creative, accurate editor and writer who thrives on deadline pressure.
QUALIFICATIONS: I have excelled in different journalistic situations and always have taken the lead when it comes to teaching others on whatever platform - I learn quickly. I have a high standard for myself, so mistakes are unacceptable. I am very versatile and unmatched on deadline or in pressure situations and in organizational skills.
2008-present Freelance writer/blogger/editor
* Clients current and past ranged from sports to marketing to SEO articles/projects. They include: Fanball.com, A.E. Engine, Creative Branding, Site Search Architect, Opensports.com. Docsports.com, Covers.com, Inspin.com, Who2beton.com.
* Familiar with most Web publishing software, PhotoShop, Quark and InDesign.
2005-present Managing Editor/Writer, WagerWeb.com
* Manage/hire writers from around the world and determine/write site’s content.
July 2007-2008 Assistant Managing Editor, Golfweek and Masters Athlete magazines
* Involved in all daily aspects of magazines and Golfweek.com, including editing, design, freelance coordination (writing and photography), story generation, writing, etc.
* Oversee four-member “dot.com” staff and do some Web programming.
2000-2007 Night Sports Editor, Tampa Tribune
1995-1999 * Led 22-person design/editing desk. Responsibilities included scheduling, evaluating, final editing and design, and content planning. Also graduated from the Tribune’s two-year leadership development program.
* Designer/daily coordinator for 2001 Super Bowl coverage (in Tampa) and 2003 Super Bowl (involving hometown Buccaneers). Responsibilities included daily special sections and main design for the live game-day sections.
* Sports’ point person in the Tribune’s convergence with Internet and TV partners.
* Vice president of Florida Sports Writers Association
1999-2000 Designer/Copy Editor, Miami Herald
* Special section editor for most of my stay, which involved total design and editing.
* Coordinated a switch to pagination and total redesign. Pagination system was a blend of Quark and SII. Worked hand-in-hand with colleagues at El Nuevo Herald.
1993-1995 Freelance writer/editor, Amway Corp., Ada, Mich.
* Worked on project-by-project basis for the International Marketing Dept.
1988-1993 Bachelor’s Degrees, English and Communications, Western Michigan University
* Minors in journalism and political science.