John Richard Roper
Pembroke Pines, Florida 33027
**** – Present Miami Dade College Assistant Director Basic Training
2005 – Present Miami Dade College Police Department Police Lieutenant
2004 – Present Miami Dade College Adjunct Professor
2005 – Present Barry University Adjunct Professor
2004 – 2005 All Hands Consulting Consultant
2003 – 2004 Broward Sheriff’s Office Crime Stopper Supervisor
2002 – 2003 North Miami Police Department Background Investigator
1971 – 2002 Miami – Dade Police Department Sergeant
• 1987 - 2002 Media Relations Bureau - Crime Stoppers Unit
• 1985 - 1987 Training Bureau Course Coordinator
• 1985 - 1987 Sergeant - Field Training Supervisor
• 1983 Promoted to Sergeant
• 1983 - 1985 Uniform Patrol Supervisor as a Corporal
• 1981 - 1983 Corporal/ Supervised New Crime Suppression Team
• 1979 - 1981 Detective Bureau/General Investigation/Vice/Narcotics Unit
• 1975 - 1979 Uniform Patrol – Northeast District
• 1975 - 1975 South District Uniform Patrol
• 1974 - 1975 Uniform Patrol - Field Training Officer - Central District
• 1973 - 1974 Field Training Officer for New Program - Jackson Memorial Hospital
• 1972 - 1973 Uniform Patrol- Central District
• 1971 - 1972 Metro – Dade Police Academy
2003 – 2004 Florida Atlantic University Masters in Business Administration Crisis/Emergency Management
1999 – 2003 Barry University Bachelor’s Degree Public Administration
1968 – 1976 Miami-Dade Community College Associates in Arts and Science
1964 –1968 North Miami Senior High Diploma
2009 ICS -703 NIMS Resource Management FEMA/EMI
2009 MGT-310 Threat Assessments and Vulnerability FEMA/EMI
2009 ICS 702 NIMS Public Information Systems FEMA/EMI
2009 ICS 200a. for Single Resource FEMA/EMI
2009 ICS 700a. NIMS an Introduction FEMA/EMI
2009 ICS 100a. Incident Command System FEMA/EMI
2009 Nuclear/Radiological Incident Annex FEMA/EMI
2009 National Response Framework, an Introduction FEMA/EMI
2009 Introduction to National Infrastructure Protection Plan FEMA/EMI
2008 Homeland Security Exercise and Evaluation Course FEMA/EMI
2008 First response to Radiological Accidents and WMD FEMA/EMI
2008 Campus Community Emergency Response Team Train the Trainer FEMA/EMI
2007 G-265 Basic Instructors Course/L449 Train the Trainer Volusia OEM
2007 Pandemic Influenza Planning and Preparedness CDP
2006 Homeland Security Comprehensive Assessment Model (HLS-CAM) CDP
2005 Level V CHS - Certified in Homeland Security ACEFI
2005 Instructor Trainer Course - ODP Certified CDP
2004 Professional Series Development FEMA/EMI
2004 Prepare Florida - Part I WMD/ICS Training/Part II PPE FDLE
2002 Field Instructor – Law Enforcement Response to WMD LSU
United Coast Guard Reserve
1969 - 1993 Rank E-7 Specification: Port Security
Specialty - Port Security and Safety - Facility Security - Physical Security
Hazardous Materials, Explosive Loading Supervision
Port Security and Facility/Safety Management
Explosive Loading Supervisor
Hazardous Material Supervisor
Oil Pollution Investigation
• 1993 Retired - Chief Petty Officer (E-7)
Security Licenses for the State of Florida
Class D - Security Officer
Class DI - Security Instructor
Class C - Private Investigator
Class M - Agency Manager
Class RI(pending DOACS)
School of Justice Manager Experience
• Performed as the Assistant Director of Basic Training since October 2008.
• Manage the daily operations of the largest law academy in the State of Florida.
• Ensure the background investigations for the independent students are properly performed.
• Address and manage all issues related to College registration process
• Monitor the process of student grades entry to ensure accurate and timely input. Resolve grade entry questions or inaccuracies.
• Ensure compliance with the policies and procedures as established by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) for academy classes
Emergency Management/Homeland Security
• Completed the FEMA Professional Series on Emergency Management.
• HLS- CAM certified.
• Certified as a Federal Instructor from the Center for Domestic Preparedness.
• Completed ICS 100,200,300,400,700, and 800 (certificates upon request)
• Completed the L449 course which allows me to instruct ICS 300 and 400.
• CERT instructor
• Managed multiple critical incidents over the span of my career including but not limited to:
o Functioned as Officer in Charge (OIC) during the Lunimar ship leaking oil into Port Everglades
o Operations support to Hurricane Andrew, and Summit of the Americas
o Media Relations
Public Information Officer (PIO) for multiple emergencies/critical incidents
• Hurricanes Andrew and Georges
• Bus hijacking of special needs children
• Jimmy Ryce Abduction and Gianni Versace murders
• Spokesman for Crime Stoppers of Miami Dade and Broward Counties from 1987 until 2004. I have provided several hundred media interviews for local, national, and international news outlets.
• Coordinated the dispersal of intelligence information to over 40 law enforcement agencies within Miami-Dade County.
• Personally conducted over 1000 interviews of callers and obtained information that led to case closures for Homicide Units, Robbery Units, Narcotic Units, Fraud Units, and other units.
• Maintain contacts with over 500 federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies throughout the world.
• 29 years investigating all injuries and advising the Management at the Dade County Youth Fair regarding safety, and security (internal and external to the agency)
State Certified Instructor for Law Enforcement
• CPR/AED, First Responder, Instructor Techniques Workshop, Hazardous Materials, Weapons of Mass Destruction, Patrol Techniques, Report Writing, Officer Safety and Survival, Ethics for Law Enforcement, and Interpersonal Skills.
• Coordinated the First Responder and CPR/AED program for Miami-Dade Police Department from1987 until I retired. I am currently an Instructor Trainer for the American Heart Association and have been instructing CPR since 1987. I coordinated the implementation of the AED program for the Miami-Dade Police Department.
• Written lesson outlines for International Conferences for Crime Stoppers as well as coordinated all the training for each conference from 1989-1999, at various locations around the world. I have also taught every section of the State of Florida Instructor Techniques Workshop course, except legal.
• Certified by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to instruct –Prepare Florida and the Personal Protection Equipment Course, General Courses.
• 25 years working in Miami on the Miami River, Dodge Island, Port Everglades, and Port of Palm Beach regarding physical plant security, storage and stowage of hazardous materials and fire safety.
• Dade County Association of Chiefs of Police Current member since 2007
• Two Hundred Club of Miami Current member since 2003
• Association for Security Administration Professionals Current member since 2006
• American Society of Industrial Security Current member since 2006
• South Florida Concerns of Police Survivors President
• Dade County Police Benevolent Association Past Board of Director
• North Dade Chamber of Commerce Past member
• Florida Association of Crime Stoppers Past member
(Held various offices including President, Vice President and Secretary)
• Crime Stoppers International, Inc. Past Nominations Chair, Training Chair, Secretary
• Crime Stoppers USA, Inc. Founder, Vice President/Secretary
• Metro – Dade Police Department Officer of the Month
Gold Medal of Valor
Purple Heart - Twice
Employee Excellence Award
• Crime Stoppers International, Inc. Coordinator of the Year
Coralie Wagner Memorial Service Award
• Crime Stoppers USA, Inc. Founding Member of Board of Directors
• Florida Department of Law Enforcement Certificate of Merit –
Presented by Governor Jeb Bush
• Barry University Who’s Who Among American Students
In Universities and Colleges
Houston, TX - electrician, nurse, letter, memorial, mate, heat,...
Director of Accounting
Glendale, CA - dba, c.p.a., japanese, bruce, law, michelle, tax,...
Sedona, AZ - geology, massage, marine, alaska, environmental,...
Surprise, AZ - mechanical design, design engineer, solidworks,...
Decatur, GA - molding, injection molding, injection, cnc, valve,...
Tuscaloosa, AL - pp, et, metallurgical, al, alabama, kanpur, soil,...
Document Control Coordinator
United States - document control, reliability, program manager,...